Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Evo 2 Pro 6k Video Not Working

Plug n Play

Reaction score
As title says! It's a new drone and I've only flown it 3 times. The 6k footage plays as a double image and has a funny purple highlight. 4k works just fine. I tried VLC player and KM. No difference. I tried the micro SD card it came with along with another card I use for my Gopro 5k footage. Both cards have the same ratings though, but both work with 5k footage.

I tried to Google it, and I haven't found anyone with a similar issue. I scanned forums here, and again no one with similar issue.

I attached a picture.... As you can tell it's not even a high quality double image.

Any advice?!

Thanks!!!

Attachments

• 6k.png
    6k.png
    5.5 MB · Views: 33
As title says! It's a new drone and I've only flown it 3 times. The 6k footage plays as a double image and has a funny purple highlight. 4k works just fine. I tried VLC player and KM. No difference. I tried the micro SD card it came with along with another card I use for my Gopro 5k footage. Both cards have the same ratings though, but both work with 5k footage.

I tried to Google it, and I haven't found anyone with a similar issue. I scanned forums here, and again no one with similar issue.

I attached a picture.... As you can tell it's not even a high quality double image.

Any advice?!

Thanks!!!

That is because VLC cannot playback the footage properly (what does KM stand for?) whatever KM is it sounds like another Media Player that cannot properly playback the footage. When I try to playback my 6K footage using VLC it does the same thing.

6K-VLC.JPG

However, if you playback the footage in 5K player it works fine.

6K-Fixed.JPG

Keep in mind that the "6K" is only 8bit footage so its a bit of a gimmick. If you want the highest possible quality out of the camera you should shoot 4K30FPS H.265 which is 10bit. If you want to crop and recompose in post and have properly set your WB and well exposed the image then 6K is certainly not a bad option since 8bit is perfectly acceptable if you don't plan on doing some heavy mids lifting or post process color grading. Where I see 8bit fall apart the fastest is during sunsets banding can appear in the sky, when you want to lift the mids in high DR scenarios without losing color, and highlight rolloff tends to suffer as well.

Last edited:
That is because VLC cannot playback the footage properly (what does KM stand for?) whatever KM is it sounds like another Media Player that cannot properly playback the footage. When I try to playback my 6K footage using VLC it does the same thing.

View attachment 9992

View attachment 9993

Keep in mind that the "6K" is only 8bit footage so its a bit of a gimmick. If you want the highest possible quality out of the camera you should shoot 4K30FPS H.265 which is 10bit. If you want to crop and recompose in post and have properly set your WB and well exposed the image then 6K is certainly not a bad option since 8bit is perfectly acceptable if you don't plan on doing some heavy mids lifting or post process color grading. Where I see 8bit fall apart the fastest is during sunsets banding can appear in the sky, when you want to lift the mids in high DR scenarios without losing color, and highlight rolloff tends to suffer as well.
Thanks boss!!! I'll probably just keep it in 4k then. I typically fly around sunset or sunrise, and don't really plan on doing any cropping. I'm just happy it's not defective :)

Again much appreciated!!

Thanks boss!!! I'll probably just keep it in 4k then. I typically fly around sunset or sunrise, and don't really plan on doing any cropping. I'm just happy it's not defective :)

Again much appreciated!!

Just to be certain (you don't want to discover a yr from now that it actually is defective), I would download 5K player and play one of the 6K files.

Reactions: Does it go higher?
Just to be certain (you don't want to discover a yr from now that it actually is defective), I would download 5K player and play one of the 6K files.
Hmmm, good point. 5k player got rid of the double image, but it's extremely choppy and blurs out. I put the file into Adobe Premiere and plays it fine there, and the exported file works as well! (I guess I should have tried it in Adobe to begin with). Eh, I'm fine with having to export through Adobe first. So it works enough for me hah. I'll pretty much just use the drone footage as filler visuals while I do voice-over stuff for YouTube videos.

Reactions: herein2021

Any advice?!

Thanks!!!
Sir, I'm tremendously impressed with my (old) Evo's TV quality video and it's just 4k 60p. Except for your ability to crop in post, there's no other reason to film above 4K. However I think it's very important to film at 60 p, because it produces a super-smooth video.

Example:

Sir, I'm tremendously impressed with my (old) Evo's TV quality video and it's just 4k 60p. Except for your ability to crop in post, there's no other reason to film above 4K. However I think it's very important to film at 60 p, because it produces a super-smooth video.

Example:

Usually you only film in 60FPS if you plan on slowing down the footage in post by up to 50% without stuttering. With the EVO II 6K, there is a crop factor when filming in 4K60FPS and the bit depth of the video drops to 8bit. If you want the same ultrasmooth look of 60FPS while filming in 30FPS you simply need to increase your shutter speed; this will get you the reduced motion blur of 60FPS but the maximum video image quality the EVO II 6K can produce which is obtainable at 4K30FPS 10bit H.265 HEVC.

Last edited:

Any advice?!

Thanks!!!
Out of curiosity, have you tried rendering the 6K footage into 4K? Ran into similar issue last year when first got the E2P and shot some 6K footage. On the screen it looked like crap, turned out not to be slow SD card or other things, rather, computer speed and more importantly screen drivers/sw/fw were not handling the 6K properly. Rendered it to 4K and was perfect. Not saying that is your silver bullet, however something else to experiment with.

View attachment 9992

View attachment 9993

Good advice. I believe you also have to be shooting color = LOG or HDR to bet 10-bit video.

I use this player for 6k and it works well
The website says it stopped development in 2017 and to switch to something else. I wonder if it is downsizing the video somehow to allow 6k to play.

Windows "Media Player" and Windows "Movies and TV" both play the the E2P 6K (5472x3076) video just fine on my machine. I can also view 6K (5K) on YouTube, albiet at 4K resolution of my monitor. Could your issues be hardware related rather than software?

Windows "Media Player" and Windows "Movies and TV" both play the the E2P 6K (5472x3076) video just fine on my machine. I can also view 6K (5K) on YouTube, albiet at 4K resolution of my monitor. Could your issues be hardware related rather than software?

You probably paid for the HEVC H.265 codec in the Windows Store, or you got it when it was free. Without that codec, Windows Media Player and Windows Movies and TV cannot play the HEVC footage out of the EVO II 6K.

I had the codec for awhile but it broke Davinci Resolve so I uninstalled it; now I just use Davinci Resolve's Media browser when I need to preview and select HEVC footage for a project. The OP probably also does not have that codec which is why it would not play smoothly even in 5K player. Without the codec all kinds of undesirable things happen when you try to play HEVC footage since you are relying on CPU decoding vs GPU acceleration.

Reactions: Rubik3x
You probably paid for the HEVC H.265 codec in the Windows Store, or you got it when it was free. Without that codec, Windows Media Player and Windows Movies and TV cannot play the HEVC footage out of the EVO II 6K.

I had the codec for awhile but it broke Davinci Resolve so I uninstalled it; now I just use Davinci Resolve's Media browser when I need to preview and select HEVC footage for a project. The OP probably also does not have that codec which is why it would not play smoothly even in 5K player. Without the codec all kinds of undesirable things happen when you try to play HEVC footage since you are relying on CPU decoding vs GPU acceleration.
$0.99!! Go for it. My DaVinci Resolve Studio still works fine.

$0.99!! Go for it.

It is not compatible with my setup and Davinci Resolve. DR has major issues on my machine when that is installed. I'm now on DR17, not sure if the incompatibility is still there but my current workflow works perfectly fine without it so I'm not willing to try again. It so completely broke my DR setup that I had to create a new user profile and migrate my databases, license keys, project settings, LUTS, Lightroom presets, etc. all over to a new profile, definitely not going to risk that again.

Yes the HEVC CODEC was nice when it was installed; I could use Windows Explorer and it was faster than using the DR media browser, but the constant DR problems greatly outweighed that small benefit.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marwan