Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

EVO - Ludicrous Mode Quick Heads up !

No. It's normal. When the Evo pitchs to achieve it's 42mph, the wind pushes down on the Evo, causing it to descend. If you press throttle at the same time as going forward, you can prevent the Evo from losing altitude.

DJI's Mavic doesn't do this, because they programmed it to automatically throttle up to prevent loss of altitude.

I was messing around with the L-mode and through my practice saw that I wasn't losing altitude when I also pushed the altitude stick up. They should call the L-mode, B for BEAST mode.

My thoughts exactly. I went to the dog park this past weekend and took the Evo... and while it is in Seatac (near the airport, I could see planes coming in a few miles away) I haven't actually measured the distance to see if it was 5 miles.

Evo was giving me repeated "fly carefully, altitude restricted area" messages. Somehow I think if I was with DJI I'd have been grounded.

Yes 100% the DJI drone would've been bricked. Luckily your're a responsible pilot to fly low, close and VLOS. Now with the new LAANC system it'll be much easier with approvals.

Good thing you caught it in time. Good reactionary skills there !
Nice! Those props though... I knew about the props problem before, but it would have been nice not to have them in the shot -- even while not flying in ludicrous mode.

Nice! Those props though... I knew about the props problem before, but it would have been nice not to have them in the shot -- even while not flying in ludicrous mode.
My Phantom shows it's props from time to time and that has a lower centered camera. Unless you angle the camera down, it's impossible not to have them, no matter what model of drone you have.

Reactions: 399AGL
Disable OA and fly in standard if you want to fight a headwind and not lose altitude in the process.

Evo is the only drone in aware of with this"feature".

Reactions: 399AGL
Tested Ludicrous Mode today - first time ever (been flying my EVO for a year). I read that newer firmware versions maintain altitude -- and this is what I observed.

I have no plans to use Ludicrous Mode, except in a pinch... mainly if I hit an unexpected headwind coming home.

Note to self -- when panning in any mode, unless the RC stick slides exactly left or right, it's possible to gradually change the altitude (I've done that by accident more times than I would like to admit).

Tested Ludicrous Mode today - first time ever (been flying my EVO for a year). I read that newer firmware versions maintain altitude -- and this is what I observed.

I have no plans to use Ludicrous Mode, except in a pinch... mainly if I hit an unexpected headwind coming home.

Note to self -- when panning in any mode, unless the RC stick slides exactly left or right, it's possible to gradually change the altitude (I've done that by accident more times than I would like to admit).
It's all dependent on wind and the aircraft's ability to fight it. In a downwind, not only will ludicrous maintain altitude, you can also climb and maintain a level gimbal.

On the flipside in a strong headwind, expect the opposite. The altitude loss appears to be at a speed threshold at which point it loses altitude to maintain velocity. That threshold seems to vary with firmware and they may have adjusted recently.

Notice the update FW removed the red line in the map box connecting to the drone. Bummer as I liked using the tow to bring it back when in unknown territory. Oh well I'll used RTH if need be.
Can you be more specific? Is this a FW issue or an app issue? Are you using Android or iOS Autel Explorer? This is one of the features I depend upon to successfully keep the antennas pointed at the drone at all times. The only time it won't work is when the device used has no compass, where it remains in North Up, instead of being able to toggle North up to be the direction of the antennas to the aircraft, which should be kept vertical by rotating the RC to face the drone direction.

Can you be more specific? Is this a FW issue or an app issue? Are you using Android or iOS Autel Explorer? This is one of the features I depend upon to successfully keep the antennas pointed at the drone at all times. The only time it won't work is when the device used has no compass, where it remains in North Up, instead of being able to toggle North up to be the direction of the antennas to the aircraft, which should be kept vertical by rotating the RC to face the drone direction.

Is this a FW issue or an app issue?

Appears to be a removed feature on the App. I usually don't completely rely on RTH to bring back the Evo or any drone for that matter but usually fly it manually. What I liked about the "Red Line" --------------> diagonal line is that visually it makes it a bit easier to track your way back to the home point. On the Evo App it has that but of course it has the 'H" home point circle which I also used as a way to track my way back to the home point on the map.

red line.png

Are you using Android or iOS Autel Explorer?

Always use IOS systems/devices.

The only time it won't work is when the device used has no compass, where it remains in North Up, instead of being able to toggle North up to be the direction of the antennas to the aircraft, which should be kept vertical by rotating the RC to face the drone direction.

Little confused with your description but I always point/adjust the antennas in a 45 degree angle for any RC used. It provides a great range for the connection between the craft and RC. I flew my other drone a little over 3 miles without any interruption so pretty decent range.

Is this a FW issue or an app issue?

Appears to be a removed feature on the App. I usually don't completely rely on RTH to bring back the Evo or any drone for that matter but usually fly it manually. What I liked about the "Red Line" --------------> diagonal line is that visually it makes it a bit easier to track your way back to the home point. On the Evo App it has that but of course it has the 'H" home point circle which I also used as a way to track my way back to the home point on the map.

View attachment 4832

Are you using Android or iOS Autel Explorer?

Always use IOS systems/devices.

The only time it won't work is when the device used has no compass, where it remains in North Up, instead of being able to toggle North up to be the direction of the antennas to the aircraft, which should be kept vertical by rotating the RC to face the drone direction.

Little confused with your description but I always point/adjust the antennas in a 45 degree angle for any RC used. It provides a great range for the connection between the craft and RC. I flew my other drone a little over 3 miles without any interruption so pretty decent range.
I updated my iOS Autel Explorer app last night to the latest, and updated my Mini 4 to iOS 12 from 10.3, so I will see if the unlocked compass direction I am referring to on the Map view has been fixed to be retained in the mini Map view, or whether it still requires switching to full Map view. I use it to make sure I am point the controller at the aircraft for best signal when flying laterally from farther away. We are probably talking about two different features. Antennas are always parallel to each other, and pointed straight up or straight down, with the flat side facing the drone, adjusting the incline of the RC in your hand to keep the antennas perpendicular to the direct line to the drone.

I updated my iOS Autel Explorer app last night to the latest, and updated my Mini 4 to iOS 12 from 10.3, so I will see if the unlocked compass direction I am referring to on the Map view has been fixed to be retained in the mini Map view, or whether it still requires switching to full Map view. I use it to make sure I am point the controller at the aircraft for best signal when flying laterally from farther away. We are probably talking about two different features. Antennas are always parallel to each other, and pointed straight up or straight down, with the flat side facing the drone, adjusting the incline of the RC in your hand to keep the antennas perpendicular to the direct line to the drone.

Gotcha.

Yes, the app/craft/rc all running on the latest FW.

I also have my antennas exactly how you'd described.

Gotcha.

Yes, the app/craft/rc all running on the latest FW.

I also have my antennas exactly how you'd described.
Cool. I'll post screenshots to clarify the feature I am referring to, once I get a chance to test the new iOS app update. I really hope they haven't intentionally removed the one I use. It's really essential to my use while flying in large orbits around the home point, where you can easily lose sight in the sun or the sky, or any time you are in a strange area, and not familiar with the landmarks and can't easily fly back home visually by FPV alone, and even more so, if the FPV is not restored after signal control is restored, after any signal loss.

Cool. I'll post screenshots to clarify the feature I am referring to, once I get a chance to test the new iOS app update. I really hope they haven't intentionally removed the one I use. It's really essential to my use while flying in large orbits around the home point, where you can easily lose sight in the sun or the sky, or any time you are in a strange area, and not familiar with the landmarks and can't easily fly back home visually by FPV alone, and even more so, if the FPV is not restored after signal control is restored, after any signal loss.
Update after testing latest iOS public app and latest FW update—No change in the line from the drone back to the home point functionality with the latest iOS update and FW update. Clicking off of North up on the map causes the pointing of the RC to reflect the direction to the aircraft when the line is vertical. However, as soon as you minimize the Full Screen Map view in favor of FPV view, the Mini Map goes right back to North up, losing the benefit on the Mini Map, while using FPV, which is critical, and clicking back to Full Map requires resetting the non-North view again, as it does not retain the setting like on Android. Works correctly on Android where the Mini Map retains the Full Map setting chosen. Still not working correctly on iOS, after two more iOS updates from the time Autel's head engineer last said he would fix it in the very next update. Disappointed. Hopefully, this is FINALLY fixed in the new iOS Beta update, out for testing now. Also, FPV is still not restored for several minutes after signal is restored, after signal loss trigger RTH. Lastly, remaining battery in the recorded flight logs still remains frozen at the value at time of first signal loss leading to RTH. Hope this helps Autel fix these still existing iOS Autel Explorer defects, first reported directly to them back in February.

Last edited:
I can't answer for them, since I don't work there. I haven't flown a Parrot or Yuneec, so I am unaware if they do the same, but perhaps DJI has a patent on that specific issue which can't be copied?
I have not had this issue with my Typhoon H480. I don't go /fast/ all that often, though.

I have used lud mode several times, the only thing I get out of it is nerve wrecking.... I can see the stress its putting on the bird. The stress on the motors, body, arms, and especially the camera.

Reactions: TravisPNW

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bailey54