Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

FAA Hobbyist Registration Pros & Cons

I registered mine before I flew it. I thought we have no choice and have to register it because of its weight and size.
It was that way originally but was later changed to voluntary due to court ruling on the matter. I think you can still get your $5 back if you registered before the change.

That Rupprecht guy is funny...I won't tell you why signing that doc is bad for you unless you pay me.

That Rupprecht guy is funny...I won't tell you why signing that doc is bad for you unless you pay me.

He actually has freely-provided reasons why someone probably shouldn't apply for a registration fee refund. Go here How to Get Your $5 Drone Registration Refund & Info Deleted. - and scroll down to "Words of Warning Before Filling it Out."

I don't think Jonathan Rupprecht deserves criticism for recommending professional legal advice for issues that go beyond what he has freely-explained considering that he has provided such an enormous amount of free information and legal interpretation, and considering that there is nothing wrong with an aviation attorney offering his services.

Anyone interested in drones who has not done so already should go to his website Drone Attorney and Legal Assistance -, click the "Articles" menu selection at the top of the page, and see the huge amount of valuable and interesting information he has freely provided.

I have had no involvement with him of any kind, but having read most of what he has posted, wouldn't hesitate to engage him for professional help with an aviation-related legal issue.

Reactions: KentA
He actually has freely-provided reasons why someone probably shouldn't apply for a registration fee refund. Go here How to Get Your $5 Drone Registration Refund & Info Deleted. - and scroll down to "Words of Warning Before Filling it Out."

I don't think Jonathan Rupprecht deserves criticism for recommending professional legal advice for issues that go beyond what he has freely-explained considering that he has provided such an enormous amount of free information and legal interpretation, and considering that there is nothing wrong with an aviation attorney offering his services.

Anyone interested in drones who has not done so already should go to his website Drone Attorney and Legal Assistance -, click the "Articles" menu selection at the top of the page, and see the huge amount of valuable and interesting information he has freely provided.

I have had no involvement with him of any kind, but having read most of what he has posted, wouldn't hesitate to engage him for professional help with an aviation-related legal issue.

I wasn't criticizing him, just found his last comments humorous. I read most of his writings and those of other self tagged drone attorneys, it is all great information. If you get into trouble with a drone, aside from an accidental crash into someone elses property causing damage (which you accept liability for the moment you take off), you shouldn't be flying one as you obviously had other reasons for getting one...like violating people's privacy, wanting to see what's really at Area 51 or flying over a busy interstate at 20 ft trying to follow cars. If everyone flies with common sense and reads the guidelines they should never need a lawyer. On the other hand, if you like flying off the balcony at your highrise condo, you should call one of these guys now and get them on retainer.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barry.bain