Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

FAA Starts Rollout of LAANC Initial Prototype Evaluation

Sundog775

Reaction score
Great news for licensed drone pilots working in the vicinities of the initial beta sites (lucky me!!). Promises to be nearly instant approval for non-complex operations in controlled airspace:

FAA Facilities participating in LAANC Initial Prototype Evaluation – Fall 2017

Automated Authorization is available through Airmap:

Airspace Authorization

Haven't had the occasion to try it out yet, will be interesting to see how it works. Will certainly simplify things for us who live in areas where the main airport is right in the middle of town!

Reactions: WildDoktor
Correct me if I am wrong, but is this allowing UAV to be flown around the airport? and if so, has anyone had any interference or issues with loss of remote connection?

Here is the link to the FAA facility map showing the grid system to be used for identifying the drone flight operation area and AGL limit for automated airspace authorizations:

ArcGIS Web Application

At this time, the system is operational at only 4 airports. It's my understanding that the FAA plans to have all facilities shown on the map operational within 12 months. This process will allow automated approvals for drone operations up to the maximum AGL indicated in each grid square. This automated process will not allow operations directly at an airport, but will authorize flights within about 1/4 to 3/4 mile or so, depending on the location of the drone operation relative to the aircraft flight paths for landing and takeoff. Each grid square on the map is 1' in latitude x 1' in longitude, which equates to about 1 NM x .75 NM across the middle of the U.S.

As far as radio interference, I haven't yet had any flights near the airport, however since standard airport radio communications are in the range of 108 - 136 MHz VHF and the XSP radio operates at 5.727 - 5.799 GHz SHF, I wouldn't expect there to be an issue with interference, but only experience will tell for sure.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aerugo