Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

FIRMWARE IS OUT GUYS

It's still beta, my guess is that once they release the final version, they will call it V2.0.

Yep. Are you seeing 0.6.8.0 each time?
Yes. My last battery updated without the Optical Flow updating again.

Can't wait till my next flight. I was a little disappointed to see the .DNG missing EXIF data wasn't fixed, but if the yaw problem is fixed I will be happy.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

Yes. I've downloaded it to Taz (drone 2) and will test it tomorrow. If I like, then I'll do Marvin (drone 1).

Reactions: AZ Autel
Bigbit,
Please, you and others who install the update to the beta, let us know how it looks and feels. The video on how to install the updates and that talks about the improvements, seem absolutely fantastic! I am excited. Thanks

Reactions: Bigbit
Seems to fly a bit better; it is certainly much more agressive on stopping. I think the exp settings is backwards, at least from what I was expecting.

But in the app, I now get this annoying "A no-fly zone nearby is restricting takeoff". Um...there's no "no-fly zone" anywhere close to me.

And a dialog box onscreen that says "NOTE: No-Fly Zone reached. Aircraft landing." The aircraft isn't landing...but I can't access any controls on-screen.

Welp, it's a beta!

I'll shoot this to Autel and see what they say.

WildDoktor,
thanks so much for that early report. I really like the idea of "A no-fly zone nearby' warning when it is real! Did it actually stop you from taking off? Also, regarding the 'nfz reached warning' seems to have warned you, but did not actually 'land you'. Were you able to dismiss the warnings... that is clear your screen of them and get back to 'normal' flight?

Yeeee-haw! Couldn't wait, flew in the dark. My Angry Bird has more pep in his step! no more coasting to a stop ( I swear I could smell rubber burning), and no bunny hop landing. Making me want to call in sick tomorrow.

Reactions: jchasa
Old Bama Dude,
Great report and loved your line about smelling rubber. It appears that Autel definitely has 'tightened' the flight and landing. Any improvement in the manual take off? Mine kind of 'leans' back toward me with manual lift-off.
Just in case you get sick tomorrow... feel better soon and report back soon.

WildDoktor,
thanks so much for that early report. I really like the idea of "A no-fly zone nearby' warning when it is real! Did it actually stop you from taking off? Also, regarding the 'nfz reached warning' seems to have warned you, but did not actually 'land you'. Were you able to dismiss the warnings... that is clear your screen of them and get back to 'normal' flight?

I'm completely against a NFZ built into the craft; you gotta let people be responsible for themselves AND some of us will only fly in a NFZ if we've been pre-approved. The others? Well, they're the ones who will be in trouble, not the drone manufacturer.

The odd thing is that the warning didn't prevent me from taking off, nor did it land me. I wasn't able to dismiss the warnings; I pretty quick simply had to reduce the volume on my phone because it is a constant message talking to you. Over and over. Reminds me of Nazi propaganda loudspeakers. :)

BTW, take offs and landings are *amazing*! I started hand catching the XSP after about my 3rd landing and have hand caught ever since. Now the landings are so smooth and stable that I landed about 3 times on my first battery, just because I could!

Anyway, I sent my feedback to Autel and we'll see if there's anything they can / will do about the NFZ issues (especially).

Reactions: Tommy Molnar
Old Bama Dude,
Great report and loved your line about smelling rubber. It appears that Autel definitely has 'tightened' the flight and landing. Any improvement in the manual take off? Mine kind of 'leans' back toward me with manual lift-off.
Just in case you get sick tomorrow... feel better soon and report back soon.
I did an auto take off and it was quick, didn't go as high in the air to hover. It burns rubber starting and stopping.

Wilddoktor,
Personally I like the idea of of NFZ warnings as long as you can shut them off, make it a user choice. I would not want them controlling the vehicle in any way. Once I get to a new area I wouldn't mind the 'warning' but then like you said, we have to take responsibility for ourselves. I gather from your reply the warnings were strictly audio with no visible screen appearing.
I do look forward to your continued reports.
Old Bama Dude,
I thank you also. Are you feeling better or will you have to 'ride' your drone to the doctor tomorrow?

It's been a long time since I've been this glad to be completely wrong about something! Very exciting to see the firmware publicly released, even if it is still beta. I was an early adopter when 1.2.8 came out, but I think I'll wait a little bit before downloading this one - just to see how some of the first opinions go, especially since it's beta.

But in the app, I now get this annoying "A no-fly zone nearby is restricting takeoff". Um...there's no "no-fly zone" anywhere close to me.

And a dialog box onscreen that says "NOTE: No-Fly Zone reached. Aircraft landing." The aircraft isn't landing...but I can't access any controls on-screen.

I'm completely against a NFZ built into the craft; you gotta let people be responsible for themselves AND some of us will only fly in a NFZ if we've been pre-approved. The others? Well, they're the ones who will be in trouble, not the drone manufacturer.

The odd thing is that the warning didn't prevent me from taking off, nor did it land me. I wasn't able to dismiss the warnings; I pretty quick simply had to reduce the volume on my phone because it is a constant message talking to you. Over and over....

....I sent my feedback to Autel and we'll see if there's anything they can / will do about the NFZ issues (especially).

Thanks for the heads up about the erroneous NFZ warnings, WildDoktor. I'll be interested to see if anyone else experiences a similar issue. I'm also vehemently opposed to built-in NFZs - in fact, the fact that Autel didn't use them was one of the key reasons that I was originally interested in the XSP when I bought last year. It's a little worrying that the warnings don't seem to be working properly, but I'm much more concerned that the existence of these NFZ warnings implies that Autel is moving toward blanket geofencing similar to other manufacturers. As a Part 107 operator and a professional manned aircraft pilot, I am fully aware of when and where it is both legal and safe to fly a drone, and I don't need or want drone software imposing blanket restrictions in an area that I'm fully authorized to operate in.

Both audio and visual warnings. "A no fly zone nearby is restricting takeoff" is said over and over, and the "Aircraft in No Fly Zones, flight denied" message blinks on and off until you actually take off:
upload_2017-7-25_20-34-8.png

When you take off, the talking stops and the banner along the bottom is replaced with this box. You can't dismiss it, and you can't tap anything on the screen until you land. After landing, the box goes away and the banner starts blinking on and off again and the Voice starts again.

upload_2017-7-25_20-34-38.png

Wilddoktor,
Personally I like the idea of of NFZ warnings as long as you can shut them off, make it a user choice. I would not want them controlling the vehicle in any way. Once I get to a new area I wouldn't mind the 'warning' but then like you said, we have to take responsibility for ourselves. I gather from your reply the warnings were strictly audio with no visible screen appearing.
bjtap...I'm not sure I'd even be okay with a NFZ audible alert or a dialog box, even if they were truly "advisory" only. The problem with this type of NFZ alerting is that there is absolutely no way that any drone manufacturer will have the capability to adequately maintain an accurate NFZ database for the National Airspace System - the complexity and constant changes means inevitable problems and inaccuracies. For hobbyists and non-commerical operators, it can lead to a false sense of safety. And I certainly don't want situations where I, as a commercial operator, can't start motors or the ship automatically lands based on an NFZ database, regardless of whether the database is accurate or not. As a responsible adult, I don't need a drone manufacturer to hold my hand that way, and I've proven to the FAA that I'm capable of making the determination on my own about whether it's safe to start the motors.

How long does this update take to do? I have been stuck on the Flight Control part for 45 min.

How long does this update take to do? I have been stuck on the Flight Control part for 45 min.
Mine took 20 minutes total, then 5 minutes each for 2 additional batteries.

Mine took 20 minutes total, then 5 minutes each for 2 additional batteries.

After about 2 hrs. I started over. It then said it was updated, so I guess it took.
I tried the motors and they did shut off right away. More testing in the morning.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Veibz