Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Horizon tilt issue

I emailed Autel support, they responded and then sent another email letting know that this issue happens sporadically. Sometimes the camera works fine and another time with this issue of the tilted horizon problem.

There is a pattern emerging - they have a problem on their hands - cause too many people are getting too many different answers and requests to test again. We are not the only two complaining about this gimbal or whatever issue it is.

Reactions: macoman
There is a pattern emerging - they have a problem on their hands - cause too many people are getting too many different answers and requests to test again. We are not the only two complaining about this gimbal or whatever issue it is.

Here is the other conversation I was in also on this matter.

When it works fine can you see the left and right rotor blades in your video?. I notice you only see the left blades in your tilted video. It may be a link to the problem.

When it works fine can you see the left and right rotor blades in your video?. I notice you only see the left blades in your tilted video. It may be a link to the problem.
Because the gimbal is tilted and you can even see the front left leg of the Evo. I forgot to mention that my Evo suffered a crash a month and half ago but nothing happened other than two props gone. At the time of the accident, it was suffering the tilted horizon and it was uncontrollable. So the tilted horizon issue came like that from Autel when I purchased.

I called directly to Autel support and he told me that it's a common issue with the tilted horizon thing. Usually bringing the drone to home and take it off resolve the issue. I asked him if it's something that the development team may consider in the next firmware. He told me that the feedback has been submitted to the development team but not guaranteed that there will be a fix in it. Hopefully they take in consideration the feedback and implement some kind of stabilization of the gimbal to fix this common issue.

Reactions: Ansia
I would like to know why some have this problem and others do not. This is starting to bring back memories of waiting for the development team to fix problems on the X-Star that they never could.

Reactions: macoman
I would like to know why some have this problem and others do not. This is starting to bring back memories of waiting for the development team to fix problems on the X-Star that they never could.
My XSP did it once when I first got it. I landed and restarted everything and it never happened again. I'm wondering if it's some kind of problem with the gimbal getting caught up on wires or something?

I did notice a major difference on my Evo after upgrading to BETA that my props are not visible or as visible as before. So the development team is definitely an issue here.

As everyone has been getting accustomed to their Evo's, some have found out the gimbals are very capable but being underutilized in the functions allowed to us.

This is one reason I think there was never a manual control for us to use to pan the lens horizontally left and right. We instead have to yaw the Evo. I would assume further it had to do with the props being visible and they did not want the complaints.

But It seems -- all said -- has left this gimbal with lots of room for improvement -- and why they are unable to apply this to everyone is becoming more of a mystery.

When phenomenon like this happens in PC's and repair -- you often are quick to learn the manufacturer has switched up parts (sourced for a different supplier) and therefore not really the same -- even though they have wrapped it up and mass marketed it as such.

We also have to take account the small number of people that have had "minor" crashes. The Evo's may still fly just fine -- but something maybe getting knocked out of alignment or bent. Some parts of the Evo are built nicely -- other parts not so much and are cheaply made, in my opinion.

Someone tried to explain to me why certain sensors on the Evo worked at certain times -- and not all could be on and functioning at the same time -- because the Evo would overheat. My brain shut down but my ears heard that corners were cut all the way around on this design.

I did notice a major difference on my Evo after upgrading to BETA that my props are not visible or as visible as before. So the development team is definitely an issue here.

As everyone has been getting accustomed to their Evo's, some have found out the gimbals are very capable but being underutilized in the functions allowed to us.

This is one reason I think there was never a manual control for us to use to pan the lens horizontally left and right. We instead have to yaw the Evo. I would assume further it had to do with the props being visible and they did not want the complaints.

But It seems -- all said -- has left this gimbal with lots of room for improvement -- and why they are unable to apply this to everyone is becoming more of a mystery.

When phenomenon like this happens in PC's and repair -- you often are quick to learn the manufacturer has switched up parts (sourced for a different supplier) and therefore not really the same -- even though they have wrapped it up and mass marketed it as such.

We also have to take account the small number of people that have had "minor" crashes. The Evo's may still fly just fine -- but something maybe getting knocked out of alignment or bent. Some parts of the Evo are built nicely -- other parts not so much and are cheaply made, in my opinion.

Someone tried to explain to me why certain sensors on the Evo worked at certain times -- and not all could be on and functioning at the same time -- because the Evo would overheat. My brain shut down but my ears heard that corners were cut all the way around on this design.
I've read that a small hammer usually fixes these issues. Haven't tried it yet, though.

I've read that a small hammer usually fixes these issues. Haven't tried it yet, though.

There lies a problem - you have to know how to use one first -- otherwise it is like macoman infers... lol You can fix it or really fix it... and
"really fix it" is my term for making sure it never flies again.

circa 2001 -- the company I worked for at the time sent me to school for this.
(Edit: OSHA regulations have changed a lot since -- even though I had no rings on, my shirt tucked in - my clothes was still too baggy - and that watch on my arm would NEVER fly if a OSHA pop-inspection come through today." lol

Oh, and I would have some kind of shield over my glasses because of "compressed air and stored compressed air"...

Do you think I am going to do that to a $1000 dollars drone? Hell no!

There lies a problem - you have to know how to use one first -- otherwise it is like macoman infers... lol You can fix it or really fix it... and
"really fix it" is my term for making sure it never flies again.

View attachment 3884
circa 2001 -- the company I worked for at the time sent me to school for this.
(Edit: OSHA regulations have changed a lot since -- even though I had no rings on, my shirt tucked in - my clothes was still too baggy - and that watch on my arm would NEVER fly if a OSHA pop-inspection come through today." lol

Oh, and I would have some kind of shield over my glasses because of "compressed air and stored compressed air"...
You don't need any training for what I have in mind, just accuracy, so you don't injure yourself in the process.

3 simple steps.

1. Grab a hammer.
2. Yell "F You, piece of C....!!!!!!"
3. Start banging the Evo.
break-ice-16534354.jpg

??

• Haha
Reactions: thomasr
You don't need any training for what I have in mind, just accuracy, so you don't injure yourself in the process.

3 simple steps.

1. Grab a hammer.
2. Yell "F You, piece of C....!!!!!!"
3. Start banging the Evo.

??

Just be sure to use the right tool for the job ;);););):

• Haha
Reactions: Ansia
I just finished shooting a video. I was excited to record a giant ship coming over the river and the horizon tilt issue appears. I was so disappointed. Then I bring back the aircraft and then take it off again and the camera is fixed by itself.... What is going on?
Do you have your gimbal set to FPV stabilization? If so your video will tilt to the left and right directions if you tilt the aircraft. I will post a video to show you

Last edited:
I took the Evo today in a sunshine and calm day on the river. I went as far as close to 2 miles and came back without issues with the gimbal. I was able to do a great video footage of more ship containers.

Do you have your gimbal set to FPV stabilization? If so your video will tilt to the left and right directions if you tilt the aircraft. I will post a video to show you
I don't think I have that setup like that. When the video tilted, it stay like that, not matter if I turn left or right. In your case, looks like it's a setting that allow to tilt but when you go forward, the horizon stated stable and not tilted.

Reactions: Madhungarian
Someone in another discussion suggested to be sure to get a level and check where we were calibrating. Evo will let you know if it is not level.

Torpedo level is one thing - Spirit level is the best. In this case -- I just remembered technology can assist:

I was surprised from my video yesterday from my X-Star I noticed a slight tilt while panning to the right. Something I really never see with the X-Star but it sure enough was there in my last video.

I never have that issue with tilt, I just ran the new update on one of the batteries and did not have to adjust anything.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flylover