Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Is AirMap and AMA highly destructive to the UAV community?

Jagerbomb52

Reaction score
What are your thoughts on this?

AMA Takes Flight With AirMap | AMA Education Blog

From most of the stuff I have read from the internet Airmap is not helping.
AirMap vocalized support for Dianne Feinstein's bill that would effectively end your hobby and industry by shifting airspace jurisdiction to every state and local government. This would create a patchwork of regulation so thick that you'd need a subscribed (paid) service (AirMap) to determine when and where you could fly.
The idea is that each jurisdiction would set up their own permitting system and AirMap would collect flight data on behalf of the jurisdiction. There would be a permitting fee and Airmap would keep a portion of that fee.
Not only would you have to pay to play, it would be an enormous spider web of contradictory rules and regulations from one jurisdiction to another and the AMA seems fine with it all. If I belonged to them I would be cancelling my membership ASAP. Just my opinion so what is yours?

Reactions: KentA and Quadrotor
What are your thoughts on this?

AMA Takes Flight With AirMap | AMA Education Blog

From most of the stuff I have read from the internet Airmap is not helping.
AirMap vocalized support for Dianne Feinstein's bill that would effectively end your hobby and industry by shifting airspace jurisdiction to every state and local government. This would create a patchwork of regulation so thick that you'd need a subscribed (paid) service (AirMap) to determine when and where you could fly.
The idea is that each jurisdiction would set up their own permitting system and AirMap would collect flight data on behalf of the jurisdiction. There would be a permitting fee and Airmap would keep a portion of that fee.
Not only would you have to pay to play, it would be an enormous spider web of contradictory rules and regulations from one jurisdiction to another and the AMA seems fine with it all. If I belonged to them I would be cancelling my membership ASAP. Just my opinion so what is yours?
I agree!

Move to Canada? .......LOL!!!!

I don't care what AMA does, Was a member for 2 years and never again. Just follow the rules and stay out of populated areas and you'll be fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't say for sure but I heard Feinstien had a drone spying on her at her home and that is why she is up in arms about them.

We all know how close you would need to be, to see someone in their home..... She should have to at least provide a cellphone pic of a drone 12 inches from her window to make that stick. Of course, if I was the tryrant Feinstien was, I'd be paranoid too.

Trouble is all it takes is someone like that in power to get the ball rolling in the wrong direction. She might have had reporters trying to capture footage with a drone but what she is going for is totally wrong. Hope you guys in the US don't end up like us here in Canada. Our rules would freak you out for sure.

Reactions: KentA
Yup I think the privacy thing is going to get a lot of attention in the courts. The police might not end up getting to inforce drone laws but they will end up getting you with the right to privacy laws and then it will be up to you to fight it in court and not many have deep enough pockets to fight it.

But....what we probably have here, is a classic situation, especially when there is a service provider, or manufacturer of something that will make things "better", involved. In this case AirMap. They reason to gain considerable revenue, if this goes thru. Without even researching, I bet they hired a lobbyist to try and push this thru. They've got a politician backing them, who probably has received some sort of compensation, off the record, of course.... or will stand to gain support in turn for pushing this thru. Happens all the time over here.

In the U.S. there is a trend toward applying business solutions to the nation's problems rather than having "Big Government" involved. For example it has been suggested that airports be modernized with corporate financing. Unfortunately, the drone problem would fit nicely into that private sector scenario.

In the U.S. there is a trend toward applying business solutions to the nation's problems rather than having "Big Government" involved. For example it has been suggested that airports be modernized with corporate financing. Unfortunately, the drone problem would fit nicely into that private sector scenario.
And it's those businesses, lining politicians pockets, who get it pushed thru.

If you, or I, tried something like that....

Somebody didn't like my T-shirt post. Too political, and it was removed. I guess calling someone a tyrant isn't?

I'm not educated as to the AMA's motives/practices/policies and therefore cannot speculate as to whether or not they are destructive to UAV community or not. My sense is that if they are endorsing this Bill, they are in cahoots with AirMap. As for AirMap, I have a bit more insight and experience with. First of all, I am not stating anything as fact. Rather my understanding from what I have been told and experienced to date.

As you can probably deduce, I am passionate about this kind of subject. I began flying about 4 years after the FAA was founded, so I've grown up with "it". Hence, it's easy for me to say "go along to get along" since it's the only system I've ever known and I'm alive today, in part, because of "it".

It's my understanding that AirMap is a US Government funded service having sought and received over $40m in public funding to date. As such, it's FREE to use and will remain so as long as they receive Federal funding. The potential revenue aspect for AirMap likely comes from selling the collected data, hence, more data, more money. The Bill fits nicely into that model.

I have contacted AirMap for clarification.

In the meantime, this is a step in the direction to offering a seat at the adult table. The US Air Control system is like a big sandbox with the modeling community playing in one corner, military in another, private aviation in the third and commercial in the fourth. Then comes the UAV "kid" carrying his drone wondering where he can play. At first he isn't given the time of day and is shunned like Forrest Gump trying to get a seat on the school bus. Play nice and someone will clear a spot for you in their space. But your going to have to play by their rules because all the corners are already occupied.

The lighter news - About a month ago, my FAA-employed hanger rat buddy and I grabbed our pumpkins, jumped in the T-6 and headed to the San Jose airport (South of San Francisco for the geographically challenged). The intent was to experience the LAANC system as it existed as of that date. The plan was for him to file online his intent to fly his pumpkin in an otherwise restricted area in close proximity to the airport while I flew pattern work in the T-6 to test the "other end of the stick" as a manned aircraft pilot.

Here's what we did and found out.
  1. We did not tell ATC of our intention prior to arrival
  2. We were in communication with one another via cell up until the time I departed.
  3. He used his cellphone and applied for approval to operate in the selected airspace.
  4. He received electronic approval before I could get the T-6 fueled - complete with an approval id issued from ATC.
  5. When I called ground control for taxi clearance, I was told that approved drone operations were in progress with the location and expected time frame.
  6. Upon receiving departure approval from the tower, I received the same notification.
  7. While I was in pattern, he requested an extension of his previously filed flight plan, which he received within 60 seconds.
  8. When his flight plan extension had been approved, I received notice from ATC of the extension.
  9. Yes, there were typos in the the authorizations and digital alerts. Get over it.
  10. Afterwards, we called someone in City of San Jose City office and asked if they had received a notice from ATC of our operations. It took awhile to receive confirmation, but they had. And the extension as well.
  11. No police, FAA officials, Airport Security showed up. There were a couple of kids curious about the drone and wondered if they could watch. The saga continues........
  12. No drones or operators were injured in conducting this test

I'd say that the integration of AirMap into the LAANC is akin to the others in the sandbox making space for the "kid" to play community. If someone makes money on "filling the hole", that's capitalism I suppose. Better a private enterprise take this task on that a Governmental solution.

If we can keep the control of the "UAV skies" within the purview of the FAA solely, we will be better off than abdicating authority to 10,000 entities. Talk about CHAOS on a massive scale! The only thing left will be commercial operations conducted by corporations.

Item last - As for Dianne, us hanger rats are not without some political clout. Originally, the bill she was a part of was intended to apply political pressure on the FAA in an attempt to force them to get off their *** and get control of (not kill) the UAV community in the interest of public safety. Smelling a skunk, we got into the political circles up to our knees (an effort I liken to walking through a swamp blindfolded), When we got there, we found a line already forming like a Disneyland attraction.

This began as a simple reply. Too much coffee, too much time on my hands. Suns up, time to fly.

Not sure if Canada will adopt the LAANC and ease the airspace flight restrictions up North or not. Wouldn't that be a first? A government agency relaxing the noose!

CAVU

Reactions: Wrsdas
For what it's worth, I received the following reply from AirMap concerning pay-for-play options:

"The AirMap application is free to use. There are no plans to provide the service on a pay-to-play basis.

We're certainly appreciative of your efforts to utilize the AirMap app as an airspace management tool to fly safely in the National Airspace system. We hope other drone operators will also follow your example to help make drones a part of everyday life."

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chen