Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Lithium Polymer Battery Care

Eagle's Eye Photo

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
I am reposting this from the Yuneec Pilots forum... all credit to the OP rdonson on the Yuneec forum... ?

There have been some comments and questions recently about proper care of LiPo batteries such as the ones we use in our aircraft. This article does a very good job of providing insight into these batteries and guidance on maintenance of them.

There are a number of good chargers available that will not only charge them and also show voltage for each cell and discharge them to proper voltage levels. Perhaps some of our more seasoned pilots will share their choices of chargers.

A Guide to Understanding LiPo Batteries

Last edited:
Reactions: Azelgato and DaveMH
I recommend the following charger... will need to make some adapters to hookup to the Evo II batteries.

X2 AC Plus 2 Port AC/DC Multi-Charger

If you are using the standard Autel charger (or charging hub), you can come reasonably close to a storage charge, by stopping the charge cycle as soon as the rear power lights, show the two LEDs on the left as a steady Green. As soon as I get a few flights in with the E2P, I'll post a target voltage while in flight... taking into account, the voltage boost with no load.

Last edited:
Reactions: Azelgato and DaveMH
Why would you even worry about autel 2 battery as it's a smart battery and will discharge the battery to storage

I prefer to (at least attempt to?) be smarter than my batteries. However, I throw down the gauntlet and challenge Autel engineers to truly prove the intelligence of their batteries.

Put in an additional option into the battery menu of the Explorer app... viewing each cell's voltage is very helpful. Having a dropdown arrow that provides an alternate readout of each of the cell's Internal Resistance, would give valuable information as to the overall health of your $200 investment.

The closer you pay attention to details like IR, the longer your batteries will last. Or would that cut into battery sales, perhaps? Don't be lulled into a mindset of "Nothing to worry about... the battery knows what's best."

Last edited:
I prefer to (at least attempt to?) be smarter than my batteries. However, I throw down the gauntlet and challenge Autel engineers to truly prove the intelligence of their batteries.

Put in an additional option into the battery menu of the Explorer app... viewing each cell's voltage is very helpful. Having a dropdown arrow that provides an alternate readout of each of the cell's Internal Resistance, would give valuable information as to the overall health of your $200 investment.

The closer you pay attention to details like IR, the longer your batteries will last. Or would that cut into battery sales, perhaps? Don't be lulled into a mindset of "Nothing to worry about... the battery knows what's best."
So are you saying that i should not trust autel SB to do the job :(

So are you saying that i should not trust autel SB to do the job :(

What I'm saying is to do the appropriate research, rather than trusting a company. At $200 a pop, you should obtain the most information possible, to maximize your ROI... in this case longevity. Too many people rely on the "smartness" of their batteries, in lieu of gaining knowledge for themselves.

As mentioned above, the company's interest is in selling maintenance items like batteries to you. But the responsibility of caring for those batteries to extend their useful life, lies solely with the pilot.

Last edited:
Reactions: Azelgato
What I'm saying is to do the appropriate research, rather than trusting a company. At $200 a pop, you should obtain the most information possible, to maximize your ROI... in this case longevity. Too many people rely on the "smartness" of their batteries, in lieu of gaining knowledge for themselves.

As mentioned above, the company's interest is in selling maintenance items like batteries to you. But the responsibility of caring for those batteries to extend their useful life, lies solely with the pilot.
Yes i totally agree with you but do you think that most of the people that buy the autel drone understand's or even care on how to keep there battery in best working condition. iv'e been flying drone's that i built and soldered my own flight board and had help programming put my frame esc motor together. my first quad drone kit was Xaircraft-650 then DJI,now autel for a long time. so do you think around 30% is correct. i personally think if you keep your battery between 45% and 35% you should be ok. but you are right this is the most i have paid for a battery. so truly what would you say a good point for storage for 1 and a half to 2 months for longest time Thank's Tom

Last edited:
From voltage testing I did, charge for storage charge is slightly past once the 3rd bar on the battery starts blinking.
On charger.
1 solid, 2nd blinking - 11.34v
2 solid, 3rd blinking - 11.62v
3 solid, 4th blinking - 12.33v

Smart board discharges to 11.65v? I think this is correct, but didn't verify this.

there smart lipos, they have a bms that manages the cells, normal lipos will use the balance lead to manage the cells when charging and discharging , don't worry about it, 25% is as low as you should go with lipo's to keep them in good condition, never leave a lipo fully charged, a good test to see if you have healthy cells, have a look at the lipo readout look at each cell's voltage, take off hover look at the cells, go fly around go back to hover and check the cells again if one cell is a lot lower than the rest you have a bad cell and will have problems. lipo's are very basic but can be dodgy, in the past i've had lipos that have swelled due to pulling to many amps or running them down to 1%, the only thing i don't like about smart lipos is the cost there a complete rip off but they keep noobs safe that don't know how to manage lipo's, you can hack the case and add a standard lipo and save some money, if you know what your doing.. you don't need any aftermarket chargers just use the autel one they have spent lots of money and time for a reason, if you fast charge a lipo it won't last long, autel have done the work so the lipo,bms,charger all work together to give good lipo health. if you want to put the lipo in storage run it down to 25% thats it done. leave it for years its not going to do anything just don't store it in the fridge, i have an old 10 year old lipo its been sitting around in my box of bits, just had a look at it and its at 10% i might charge it up see what happens ..

Reactions: Quad808
I recommend the following charger... will need to make some adapters to hookup to the Evo II batteries.

X2 AC Plus 2 Port AC/DC Multi-Charger

If you are using the standard Autel charger (or charging hub), you can come reasonably close to a storage charge, by stopping the charge cycle as soon as the rear power lights, show the two LEDs on the left as a steady Green. As soon as I get a few flights in with the E2P, I'll post a target voltage while in flight... taking into account, the voltage boost with no load.
Are there adapter cables for Autel Evo II batteries for this or any other multi-charger? I too am used to balance charging my Yuneec batteries.

I have the Hanatora charger now... I do not believe the Hanatora charges at a higher rate than the OEM charger. The speed gain is in being able to charge as many as 3 batteries simultaneously... in my case I only have 2 batteries, so I'm sure the charger is up to the task of charging 2 batteries at the same time.

I am working with someone on adapter cables to be able to read Internal Resistance with the Hitec X2 AC Plus... I may not use that to charge at all, just measure IR. At this point I am content to use the Hanatora to charge up to a storage voltage.

Last edited:
Reactions: Quad808
I have the Hanatora charger now... I am working with someone on adapter cables to be able to read Internal Resistance with the Hitec X2 AC Plus. At this point I am content to use the Hanatora to charge up to a storage voltage.
I’d be interested in the adapter cable if you will be marketing them or like to share the cost. Like you, I’m used to using a multi-charger(sky rc imax b6ac) to monitor IR and to get to balanced storage charge.

if you charge your lipo's at a higher rate they wont last very long, the autel charging hub can charge 4 autel lipo's at the same time, i just dont understand why you want to use an aftermarket charger????

if you charge your lipo's at a higher rate they wont last very long, the autel charging hub can charge 4 autel lipo's at the same time, i just dont understand why you want to use an aftermarket charger????
I don't want to charge at an increased rate. I want to have the ability to test the internal resistance(health) of the batteries and to have the ability to quickly put the batteries in a storage charge.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kestrel