Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Maybe dumb question

Kingpeta

Reaction score
Hello all,
New member here and new pilot to boot. I’ve only done a few flights with my Evo and like it quite a bit so far.
My question is about ambient temperature. With the weather turning colder here in Wisconsin, I was wondering if it’s ok to fly in winter? Is there a lower limit on when you fly?
We got our first snow of the season today and I was thinking it might be nice to get some snow scenes.

I probably wouldn't fly below 0F.

Fly in cold weather shouldn't be a problem, the main thing to watch is battery life, so don't try extreme flights. If the batteries are kept warm in the car, and then tossed in and flying relatively quickly, they will self-heat and should have nearly normal performance.

If the batteries are allowed to get cold, they can lose about 40% of their life (temporarily). As long as you don't get greedy you should be fine.

I probably wouldn't fly below 0F.

Fly in cold weather shouldn't be a problem, the main thing to watch is battery life, so don't try extreme flights. If the batteries are kept warm in the car, and then tossed in and flying relatively quickly, they will self-heat and should have nearly normal performance.

If the batteries are allowed to get cold, they can lose about 40% of their life (temporarily). As long as you don't get greedy you should be fine.
Thank you so much! I have plenty to learn.

One thing I have experienced in 35 years of flying in every size aircraft is that cold air is denser and creates the opportunity for more lift. I have been on small planes when it was 110 degrees and the the thinner heated air made it necessary to remove baggage sometimes even passengers for a safe take off. COLD AIR IS GOOD!

Felepi: You are right on! Cold air is more dense.

Where are you in Wisconsin? I'm in Monroe, down by the Cheddar Curtain!

Where are you in Wisconsin? I'm in Monroe, down by the Cheddar Curtain!
I live in Bellingham WA on the Salish Sea of NW Washington. I spent 30 years as a Magazine travel / outdoor photojournalist and probably have about 500 hours in small fixed wing airframes. I was shooting an assignment for NG Magazine in the Canyonlands of SE Utah and needed to get aerials , it was about 105 degrees F, we were able to fly but the pilot told me a story of trying to fly another rather large (350lbs) NG photog in similar conditions, and after 4 or 5 take off attempts he had to cancel, putting it bluntly to this guy he said " You are just too damn fat". Hot air = thin air / not much lift, Cold air = Dense air / great lift !

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blindhout