Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

My Rant For Today

Jagerbomb52

Reaction score
I live in Canada 2,445 kilometres from Houston, Texas, yet gas prices here have jumped 19 cents a litre (so far). I know this gas didn’t come from Texas, but apparently Hurricane Harvey’s flooding has now reached us too.

What bothers me though, more than these price increases, is the “fake news” the oil/gas industry puts out to justify what they have implemented.

But even more irritating is that we the general public (including the different levels of government and the media — whose job is to “dig for the truth”), just accept the “supply-and-demand” defence without any real challenges.

The hurricane didn’t shut down 80 per cent of the refineries in the United States, and of course, none in Canada. Yet these same facilities, whose costs have not risen, are now selling their product at inflated prices.

They’ll argue the “complexities of the situation, but in the end really, it just comes down to a simple case of price gouging and a business opportunity to go after even more money.

Sadly, it also shows the willingness of an industry to seek out profits at the expense of others’ tragedies.
The real crime though, might be that no one appears to be standing up and holding them accountable, by asking any of the right questions.
Rant over.

geezer.gif

I agree wholeheartedly with your assumption as over here hear Ottawa Ont. gas has risen .30 cents/litre
Stay home for a while is my mantra until it blows over due to not have to thankfully.

Well said Agustine...this happens every time with the oil industry and it is really appalling to see. Our prices in Florida are up as well and we have to now fill up more than ever with this storm looking to hit us this weekend...gouging isn't strong enough in my opinion. They have made enough money to refine in other parts of the country so that a single location doesn't have this kind of effect...but instead they line their pockets in the name of greed. Federal Government needs to regulate them as a necessity of life commodity in the world. Granted, I can walk to the store which is 1.25 miles from my house, but that's not how anyone lives today and I can't carry groceries for 5 people in my hands.

& to add insult, they raise the price on the gas they already had in their tanks at the stations that they paid at a lower price. I had a friend that owned a gas station, they didn't make much at anytime on per gal. Like .05 cents on the gal. They made it in services & the snacks, soda, beer, ect..Sound like the Big Oil companies just need more money from us.

Very true @RADDBUS they make most of their money on the incidentals in the "convenience store" and not on the gas. 7-11 with a gas station is still the highest ranking franchise to own on most lists, beating McDonalds every year.

Speaking of gouging _ Irma is supposed to make landfall about 20 miles from my house on Monday evening. Needless to say I am getting out of town. The hotel I booked has raised their rates since I booked from 86 a night to 186 a night. This rate is for people fleeing from extreme danger! I just hope the house and company I work for are still standing on Tuesday

Our preys go out to you and anyone else effected by this and the resent disasters.

Speaking of gouging _ Irma is supposed to make landfall about 20 miles from my house on Monday evening. Needless to say I am getting out of town. The hotel I booked has raised their rates since I booked from 86 a night to 186 a night. This rate is for people fleeing from extreme danger! I just hope the house and company I work for are still standing on Tuesday
All the best to you buddy, I am in South Florida about 55 miles north of Miami...this should be a fun one. Have been through quite a few of these and well prepared down here. Last time with Wilma power was out for 7-10 days for most...my house was lit up and ceiling fans working great...thanks to generators. I won't price gouge on the fresh lemonade and snow cones at my house!

Reactions: Wrsdas
you need to take pictures and report this...ill try to find out where you report it too for you

Probably too far to drive from central Florida for fresh lemonade and snow cones!!! Still, sounds like a hurricane party to me. I think we're ready here. though I'm sure the-mean-old-woman will need something else re-done tomorrow. Stay safe, y'all. Blessings......

Reactions: Wrsdas
All the best to you buddy, I am in South Florida about 55 miles north of Miami...this should be a fun one. Have been through quite a few of these and well prepared down here. Last time with Wilma power was out for 7-10 days for most...my house was lit up and ceiling fans working great...thanks to generators. I won't price gouge on the fresh lemonade and snow cones at my house!
Be safe!

May you all be safe Floridians and if possible give shelter to those in need.

Getting you and your family to a safe place is the only thing that counts right now! I was very lucky when Harvey rolled through having only a few power disruptions and rising water that fortunately didn't find it's way in the house. If your in the path of this thing and new to preparing for this kind of storm and think that it's a bunch of hype, think again!! And, I have found absolutely nothing "exciting" about any Hurricane or TS that I have been exposed to, from Carla to Harvey! These things wipe out what good worked hard for in a matter of hours. Thats excitement I can do without!

Hunker down folks, and the best of luck to you and yours!!!

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aerugo