Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

New pilot, dumb question

minerrick

Reaction score
I am very new to this and I just took my Evo for a spin this afternoon, and I found that it was so bright outside that it was difficult to see both the controller and my android phone's screen. What do you guys use to create a shady place to be able to observe the flight? If I knew what to look for I'd search for the term, but I have no clue what it would be called. Thanks

Sunshade - you can make one or purchase one.

Any pros and cons of any brand or DIY? Now I know what I am looking for, I guess I will do online research.

Last edited:
I made my first one from the carton that was on my Xstar.
Later editions were made from black poster board. The roof of the golf cart works best.

What kind of mods do you guys use to attach tablets? I have a zenpad that would give me a much bigger screen and would probably help with the visuals.

What kind of mods do you guys use to attach tablets? I have a zenpad that would give me a much bigger screen and would probably help with the visuals.
That will be good to know as I will be a new Autel Evo owner. I saw in many websites a tablet holder for the Evo but cost around $100+, just for a tablet holder... Unbelievable.

That will be good to know as I will be a new Autel Evo owner. I saw in many websites a tablet holder for the Evo but cost around $100+, just for a tablet holder... Unbelievable.
Yeah, I took my evo for a cruise yesterday and the Samsung S8 dash wasn't really big enough for me to determine where I was with the drone. It appears that bigger screen size is probably better....

Yeah, I took my evo for a cruise yesterday and the Samsung S8 dash wasn't really big enough for me to determine where I was with the drone. It appears that bigger screen size is probably better....
Agreed but still is not excuse to sell a tablet holder for $100+... They may be the only one available in the market. That's why competition is good.

Guess it is time to go out into the shop and figure something out. Should be pretty easy. How well does the sun shield work? I would think the back light from the terrain behind you would also make it hard to see- shall I get a glare protector? Or I guess I could just throw a towel over my head and controller, as that sounds pretty cheap....I don't care what I look like as I will be out in the wilderness when I use it.

Guess it is time to go out into the shop and figure something out. Should be pretty easy. How well does the sun shield work? I would think the back light from the terrain behind you would also make it hard to see- shall I get a glare protector? Or I guess I could just throw a towel over my head and controller, as that sounds pretty cheap....I don't care what I look like as I will be out in the wilderness when I use it.
A black shirt helps you can use your head to block the sky reflection. Once the shield is in place you will plainly see what is causing the problems. Sitting in a golf cart with a roof is the best I have found for mid day which is the best time for good picture quality. You will eventually find what works for you. Anti glare shields are available for some devices.

I have used this style photographers hood for a long time and it is the best for eliminating glare. If you use a sun shade with it
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0771MR2Y7/ref=ppx_od_b_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It helps hold the cloth up away from the monitor. I have added a viewing port so I can keep an eye on my EVO and be legal. May not be cool or stylish and if you are down town NYC you might get a stare or two but for us guys out in the brush it is the very best. It also supports the controller and monitor.

Attachments

• IMG_0011.JPG
    IMG_0011.JPG
    469.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0012.JPG
    IMG_0012.JPG
    376.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0018.JPG
    IMG_0018.JPG
    431 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0020.JPG
    IMG_0020.JPG
    590.8 KB · Views: 16
Reactions: Jagerbomb52
I am taking a stab at building my own tablet holder and hood. I'll post it when I finish... I am no artisan for sure, but it looks like it will work. So far, I am in to it for $10

I have used this style photographers hood for a long time and it is the best for eliminating glare. If you use a sun shade with it
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0771MR2Y7/ref=ppx_od_b_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It helps hold the cloth up away from the monitor. I have added a viewing port so I can keep an eye on my EVO and be legal. May not be cool or stylish and if you are down town NYC you might get a stare or two but for us guys out in the brush it is the very best. It also supports the controller and monitor.
Your link goes to a sunshade.... do you have a link for the hood?

Your link goes to a sunshade.... do you have a link for the hood?
No sorry I make the hood. The link is for the sunshade I use with the hood. I flew yesterday in 22 degree weather and the EVO preformed flawlessly. I didn't do so well about froze my ***** of. What we don't do for fun huh.

Rkyleh, I took a pic of your hood and took it to a local seamstress, and she will make something similar. I made a hood out of cardboard, but I didn't like the awkwardness of it. Attached is my home shop version of a tablet extension for the controller. It ain't pretty, but it works well. The cord goes around my neck and the tablet & controller rests against my stomach. The metal straps at the bottom support the controller as one unit. When I get the hood from the seamstress I think it will be awesome.

Attachments

• Pad Extension frontjpg.jpg
    Pad Extension frontjpg.jpg
    854.2 KB · Views: 14
  • Pad extension rear.jpg
    Pad extension rear.jpg
    708.7 KB · Views: 14
That looks like it will work. If the hood is the right length it will support the monitor and controller so you won't need the cord. Let me know how it works out for you.
The port hole works pretty good for close up flying but when the EVO gets out there where I need it to take videos of these mountains I might as well have my head in a bucket. I can tell you exactly where it is but to see it is a different story . I think this line of sight rule needs to be revisited.

That looks like it will work. If the hood is the right length it will support the monitor and controller so you won't need the cord. Let me know how it works out for you.
The port hole works pretty good for close up flying but when the EVO gets out there where I need it to take videos of these mountains I might as well have my head in a bucket. I can tell you exactly where it is but to see it is a different story . I think this line of sight rule needs to be revisited.

I took VLOS to mean that you can clearly see your operational airspace, identify any other craft inbound to your/ your craft's airspace and any obstacles in your craft's flight path ... NOT that you necessarily needed to be able to visually identify/spot your craft to optically verify it's geographical position in relation to the visual and telemetric data given at the controller showing it's position and heading. Basically, if I can see my Craft's entire area of operation out to the maximum distance I need to operate it then I don't need to be able to actually see that moving orange dot... I just need to know where it is in relation to me and anything that pops out of the sky, or protrudes into it's airspace from the ground accuaratley enough to point towards it... That's my take on it.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacqueslambert