Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

New Tablet & Home Made Sun Shield

Jagerbomb52

Reaction score
Ended up buying a small android tablet at bestbuy Canada. Picked up the Lenovo TAB3 7" Essential. A lot better then my LG3 G phone. Stopped at Staples and picked up a sheet of foam board to make a sunshield as I new I was going to need one. Works very well.

20170607_192628.jpg 20170607_192721.jpg 20170607_192734.jpg 20170607_192748.jpg

Looks really good. I'll have to see if I can figure out how to make one like that.

I've been thinking about getting a 7 inch tablet to have a little bigger screen, but this 5 inch Galaxy S6 edge works so good I keep talking myself out of it, and of course I'd have to build myself a bigger hillbilly hoodman.

Attachments

• IMAG1695.jpg
    IMAG1695.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 32
Reactions: Squirrel!
There is a slot on the top back side that the top of the tablet holder fits through so the clamp holds the tablet hand sun shield in place.

20170608_064740.jpg

I was out with it this morning. I would say it performed just as well if not better then my phone.
The larger screen is a total plus. Audio is loader then my phone so I can now hear warning messages.
No dropout in video as of yet.
The screen is very bright but it is also very reflective. Perhaps a good matte screen protector might help some.
You do need a sun shield, the one I built worked perfectly. No problems seeing the screen at all.
It does take a long time to power up. Battery life seems about normal for tablets. No different then my I-pad 2.

The one thing I had a hard time figuring out was the camera settings Gear Icon. Whenever I clicked on the folder for camera setting the gear icon was not there. I found I had to put the camera into manual mode then open the folder and it would be there. I made a screen capture to make it easier to explain. This is something I never had to do on my phone when I used that.
Other then that I am liking this tablet and the price is right.

Strange...but I think you just need to scroll down! I see a blue "underline" up at the top when you're in "auto" mode (0:20 in the vid); I think that's the "camera" box that's highlighted. Can you drag down on the whole side and see the gear icon?

I started screwing around with it again. The little bit of the blue tab at the top was the key. I was not able to scroll it over but if I tapped my finger where the gear icon should be it move over and I had all the options to make changes.

I purchased the Lenovo tab 10. Had no glitches with the software. Only problems I found, was:
1) screen glare was an issue.
2) slight "stutter" on the video feed.

Seems my phone, a Lenovo moto g4 plus, has a faster processor, 4 times the ram, and a brighter, 1080p display. So, I'm tending to stay with the phone.

Reactions: Squirrel!
I purchased the Lenovo tab 10. Had no glitches with the software. Only problems I found, was:
1) screen glare was an issue.
2) slight "stutter" on the video feed.

Seems my phone, a Lenovo moto g4 plus, has a faster processor, 4 times the ram, and a brighter, 1080p display. So, I'm tending to stay with the phone.

I've been thru the 'stutter' using an Acer Tab 10. My Nokia 6 phone has zero issues. 5.5" works well enough for me. If I were taking more critical photos, I may try a tablet again, but I doubt it.

Lemme ask you a couple of things, QS....the G4+...who is your service provider and can you use your 'tethering' feature of the phone? I have a G4 and a G4+ but neither can use tethering with Straight Talk being the service provider. This is the reason I have the Nokia 6 because tethering DOES work with it...Thanks for any insight you may have.

I use an Indigo 10" tablet. No issues.

Struggled with glare, purchased a sun shield, fabricated a better sun shield, still struggled with glare.

Purchased and added a Matte Anti-Glare Screen Protector and now don't even carry a Sun Shield with me. Thanks to advice from my friend Normex. :)

I've been thru the 'stutter' using an Acer Tab 10. My Nokia 6 phone has zero issues. 5.5" works well enough for me. If I were taking more critical photos, I may try a tablet again, but I doubt it.

Lemme ask you a couple of things, QS....the G4+...who is your service provider and can you use your 'tethering' feature of the phone? I have a G4 and a G4+ but neither can use tethering with Straight Talk being the service provider. This is the reason I have the Nokia 6 because tethering DOES work with it...Thanks for any insight you may have.
Tethering, as in being able to use it as a wifi hotspot for your tablet? Yes, I am able to do that. I had to lower my plan a tier on AT&T, to do it though. Seems they won't let you do it on the unlimited plan, I had to drop it to a 6 gig plan to hotspot. Oh....and I purchased an unlocked g4 plus. It'll work with any carrier. Only problem with it is, though.... is that as soon as you have problems with THEIR hardware, as in towers, and what not... they'll blame it on YOUR phone. Which is just a cop out. Good luck.

I use an Indigo 10" tablet. No issues.

Struggled with glare, purchased a sun shield, fabricated a better sun shield, still struggled with glare.

Purchased and added a Matte Anti-Glare Screen Protector and now don't even carry a Sun Shield with me. Thanks to advice from my friend Normex. :)
Will the 10" tablet fit on the holder?
Thanks

Will the 10" tablet fit on the holder?
Thanks

I assume you mean on the Controller holder? Yes, fits just fine.

Friend of mine uses his cell phone. Initially I asked him how he got along with such a small viewer and he said fine. Later we were flying together. After a few minutes I said what percentage of battery do you have left. He had to bring the RC closer to his eyes to read that small print. I can't live like that. :)

To answer your question... it depends on your tablet. Some have more "border" around the screen, and won't fit. Others can fit a 10.5 inch screen. I'm not home to measure the actual "spread" of the controller. If you already have an x-star... spread yours out as wide as it will go, measure it. Then, look up the ACTUAL DIMENSIONS on the spec sheet of the tab you want to use. Give yourself a few "short and curlies" worth to play with, and you should be able to answer your own question.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonhenkelman