Welcome to AutelXPilots.com!

Powerful Volcanic Gas Fountains...

Discussion in 'Photos and Videos' started by HiloHawaiian, May 14, 2018.

1. HiloHawaiian

HiloHawaiian Well-Known Member

Amazing helicopter footage. Folks say the sound is deafening — the steam is supersonic when it blows-out.

https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/observatories/hvo/multimedia_uploads/multimediaFile-2013.mp4

“Hey Dad, I guess I won’t have to mow the lawn today...” Bad joke...I know the folks, he emailed the photo, and what his son told him when he saw it. They have the right attitude, everyone in zone one knows this could happen at any time. The house they were renting is toast. They’re going to stay in my Ohana studio off the garage in Hilo until they find a new place...
    89BAF0CE-18EF-4D1A-BDF7-D73D8573E7F6.jpeg

2. Cori

Cori Well-Known Member

Wow! Amazing photo. It's literally being transformed from Paradise into Hell.

3. rkyleh

rkyleh Well-Known Member

Man that's crazy. And I gripe because the wind blows.

4. Agustine

Agustine Well-Known Member

Did you notice the big boulders flying out?

HiloHawaiian likes this.
  5. Agustine

Agustine Well-Known Member

Drone footage would have been better. No jostle and jello in the filming, and it could safely get MUCH closer. They could also be filming pretty much non-stop. They could be supervised and suspend operations when they want to put a chopper up.

It's a lost opportunity - not only cinematically, but in terms of identifying the status of volcanic activity, road conditions, etc.

HiloHawaiian likes this.
  6. HiloHawaiian

Yea, hard to guess how big, but geeeeeez, scary stuff...And, that nice house in the foreground with a front-row view! I dunno if they can get to the house anymore — it looks like it could be spared, it’s on a slight rise. Topography is everything out here. GENERALLY, this very liquidy lava flows the other direction, downhill toward the sea. If another fissure opens behind him........... :(

7. HiloHawaiian

Exactly right. If a drone goes down from a boulder hitting it, oh well — 1 in a million chance. Helo's can (have) crashed from sucking too much volcanic gases, that’s why they stay so far away. A drone would only have to worry about the heat, which at 150’ wouldn’t be too bad......I think, LOL.

#7 HiloHawaiian, May 15, 2018
    Last edited: May 15, 2018