Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Thermal camera settings

Ranchhand

Reaction score
I am trying to use the thermal camera to detect Ferrel Hogs.
The contrast is so bright I can’t determine what is what.
How do I adjust the contrast to make the live animal stand out more ?

I am not there to see your problem but I can make some assumptions.

My guess is this is not a contrast problem, but a temperature problem.
I see you are in Texas. Most likely the hogs are the same or similar temperature as the background (trees, grass, ground).

1705166813148.png

Above is me on the beach. You cannot easily see me because I am the same or similar temperature as the sand since this is a sunny day and the sand is solar loaded.

If I thermal-tuned the image or used isotherms it might help a little bit, but at the end of the day, I am a very similar temperature as the environment I am in and thermal imaging will struggle to find me.

Reactions: EBERLS
Personally, if I want something to stand out, I use the Black white and RED palette. Also, I have found that early morning is best for better contrast, as the surrounding environment is still cold and not heated by the sun yet. Just after sunset is the most difficult. Oh, in case anyone was was wondering, this is the California International Marathon going by our house, as they do each year. Several thousand go by - it takes about an hour for all the runners to go by, and we are only 3 miles from the start line.

Attachments

• CIM_Runners.jpg
    CIM_Runners.jpg
    657.1 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Reactions: EBERLS and Ezone23
Agree. This is why thermal is most effective for most every task after sunset. Or at least after the sun is no longer shining on whatever things you're looking at.

Agree. This is why thermal is most effective for most every task after sunset. Or at least after the sun is no longer shining on whatever things you're looking at.
Yes but even more so in the morning after everything has cooled off over the night. Quite a dramatic difference actually. Much, much better in the morning.

I had some more time to show some examples.

I tried to thermal tune the previous image I posted.

My body in the image is different temperatures, head = 74*, body/jacket = 61*

Neither of above is the hottest or coldest in the image.
If I tune the image by adjusting the span/range to 74* for my head also doesn't help since there are large areas in the image the same temperature range. So even if I set Isotherms to show just 74* it really doesn't help as the Red Isotherm would show on various other parts of the image.

Everyone here offered great advice on flying when you will have the best temperature deltas and this holds true in thermography.

I fly public safety for my real job and we do not always get to choose the time of day and have run into your hog problem every single time we fly in the daytime to include winter, as the sun still solar loads items in the winter.

Below thermal tuned image with span set to just the temperature of my head. Too many areas of the image are the same temperature.

1705876352430.png

I'm assuming you have tried the other various color pallets?... and yes, once the sun warms things up it becomes a lot more difficult, regardless :-/

I'm assuming you have tried the other various color pallets?... and yes, once the sun warms things up it becomes a lot more difficult, regardless :-/
Color will not help.

Changing palettes will only have my head be the same color as the other areas in the image that are the same temperature.

The unaltered image actually shows me the best.

This image is an extreme to show what I think is happening for the OP. I do have many other thermal images in summer that show people better because of the various different backgrounds they are in.

Black Hot
1705965205543.png

Hot Iron

1705965249348.png

Reactions: CactusJackSlade
I am trying to use the thermal camera to detect Ferrel Hogs.
The contrast is so bright I can’t determine what is what.
How do I adjust the contrast to make the live animal stand out more ?
Which Drone/Camera?
Thermal specs?
Show some examples.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skygod34