Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Too good to be true?

Nightbat2

Reaction score
This US made UAV will apparently launch next month—and you can reserve one now. Be interesting to see if it lives up to the spec, and how companies such as Autel and DJI respond.

SKYDIO 2

$999 it's a good price point but it doesn't come with a remote controller, unless you spend another $150. I rather stay with my Evo.

Reactions: Nightbat2
$999 it's a good price point but it doesn't come with a remote controller, unless you spend another $150. I rather stay with my Evo.
Depending on how good it is, I wouldn’t mind that as a second kite..

Looking over the specs I'd say this product is about 2 years behind today's competition. Flight time, speed, range, and camera specs are all measurably below the front runners in the market nowadays, with EVO in that leaders group. A fair price point would be $500 with a controller. Just my 2 cents.

• Haha
Reactions: JSTorsrud
Can't wait to see the drone gurus youtube reviews.

Where are the landing gear?
Doesn’t have any. Looking at one of the videos, it takes off and lands on the flat base, which looks like it might be the battery. Not sure that’s a good idea, particularly as the front props are underneath the arms, making them a tad too close to the ground.

Looking over the specs I'd say this product is about 2 years behind today's competition. Flight time, speed, range, and camera specs are all measurably below the front runners in the market nowadays, with EVO in that leaders group. A fair price point would be $500 with a controller. Just my 2 cents.
Where it beats out all competitors—if the blurb can be believed—is in flying in close proximity to objects and 360 degree obstacle avoidance. It also has a 3 axis gimbal that can swivel up just like the Anafi’s. Drone Deploy has partnered with them. I’m not really fussed about the range or the speed, though battery life is a bit low.

Will have to wait and see how many BUGS will need to be fixed. It's a new product and will have some problems.

The EVO is still the best!

Although battery is a few minutes less than EVO as well as range and top speed, but the functionality for an autonomous dynamic track drone is lightyears ahead of even the Mavic 2's. You can track at low altitude through the woods at 30+ mph. What's also very different is Skydio backs that claim saying if you fly within the safety guidelines (which I have not yet read) and you crash your drone - they will repair or replace it for free. I would be a little concerned with no landing gear and the bottom rotor being so close to the ground. The controller or the beacon are sold seperately for $150 ea. If I were an avid mountain biker or or off road biker I would strongly consider this one - is even tempting without being one I have to say. Love my EVO, but I have to think I could really do some fun and creative things with this drone that I would never consider doing with Autel or DJI products. Camera specs also look really good.

Reactions: Tufargon
Although battery is a few minutes less than EVO as well as range and top speed, but the functionality for an autonomous dynamic track drone is lightyears ahead of even the Mavic 2's. You can track at low altitude through the woods at 30+ mph. What's also very different is Skydio backs that claim saying if you fly within the safety guidelines (which I have not yet read) and you crash your drone - they will repair or replace it for free. I would be a little concerned with no landing gear and the bottom rotor being so close to the ground. The controller or the beacon are sold seperately for $150 ea. If I were an avid mountain biker or or off road biker I would strongly consider this one - is even tempting without being one I have to say. Love my EVO, but I have to think I could really do some fun and creative things with this drone that I would never consider doing with Autel or DJI products. Camera specs also look really good.
I agree with this. ?

To me, the fun of a drone is to fly it one self. The purpose of this drone is to get cool shots of an outdoor person, which I am not. I know there is a niche for those type of drones, but it's not the majority of us.

Reactions: Goober and macoman
To me, the fun of a drone is to fly it one self. The purpose of this drone is to get cool shots of an outdoor person, which I am not. I know there is a niche for those type of drones, but it's not the majority of us.
Exactly... I am sure that people that love the outdoors would enjoy this drone. I am satisfied with the Evo... I bought my drones for enjoyment only. I was thinking in getting the certification of commercial operation but it is expensive and plus you need to have professional drones available. The Evo itself it's not enough if you are working commercially in drone footage.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ansia

I agree. Of course, we will have to see if in real life it will be as good as promised and shown in the promotional video.

You forgot to mention that it will be the only consumer drone with 4K 60fps and HDR.

Where it beats out all competitors—if the blurb can be believed—is in flying in close proximity to objects and 360 degree obstacle avoidance. It also has a 3 axis gimbal that can swivel up just like the Anafi’s. Drone Deploy has partnered with them. I’m not really fussed about the range or the speed, though battery life is a bit low.
The controller also looks as if they got it from Parrot. There are reviewers claiming it would make you(I am adding look like) a better pilot. LOL
I agree with Trox, should be much cheaper, 1000 plus 300 for the beacon and controller still seems high for normal consumer.
I wonder if the software will enforce FAA like DJI?

If you look at the specs for the controller it does mention Parrot SA.

One more thing we do not know if this drone will have the ADS-B transmitters in which the new DJI drones will have?
Also I wonder if this drone will get grounded by its software like DJI?

The controller also looks as if they got it from Parrot. There are reviewers claiming it would make you(I am adding look like) a better pilot. LOL
I agree with Trox, should be much cheaper, 1000 plus 300 for the beacon and controller still seems high for normal consumer.
I wonder if the software will enforce FAA like DJI?
They did collaborate with Parrot on the controller (it’s admitted somewhere on the website, probably in FAQs). They may have collaborated with Parrot on more also. For example, the gimbal, which can also be pointed straight up like the Anafi’s. And the AI, if it’s as good as claimed, puts it a class above anything else on the prosumer market. DroneDeploy’s software works on it, too. As for NFZs, has the FAA told any company to enforce them? DJI is the only company I am aware of that does so.

This US made UAV will apparently launch next month—and you can reserve one now. Be interesting to see if it lives up to the spec, and how companies such as Autel and DJI respond.

SKYDIO 2
This is the 2nd gen product, much improved over 1st gen. The software they put into this thing blows away anything DJI or Autel have produced so far. That is what the 999 price tag is for. Also, it is manufactured right here in the USA.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hunterc222