Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Using drone as handheld gimbal

Nightbat2

Reaction score
I’m proposing to take some video ‘travelling shots’ along some narrow interior passageways and up a flight of stairs of a house, using the Evo as a handheld gimbal. Obviously I would remove the props to avoid a mishap.

Anyone tried this and if so did the gimbal work properly?

Yes I have experience.
1. You don't have to remove props,
2. I did not extend the arms so it can be handled better.
3. Hand movement must be slow and steady to achieve optimum video quality.
4. You may have to do several takes to practice the #3

Good luck

Reactions: Nightbat2
I did this, not with an Evo, but with an H so the theory should be the same. Didn't remove the props. Actually did this with someone else to do a flight over a lake then into the woods. One continuous shot with me killing the props after they grabbed it then walked through the woods. Obviously this was easier to do with a larger craft that has point to grab it (extended landing gear.)

There are actual mounts I've seen for doing just what you're trying to do. If the gimbal is powered it should work.

I do this quite often with my XSP. I remove props and just turn it on and turn video on. Don't need the motors going. That's it.

Yes I have experience.

Good luck
Thanks.

I did this, not with an Evo, but with an H so the theory should be the same. Didn't remove the props. Actually did this with someone else to do a flight over a lake then into the woods. One continuous shot with me killing the props after they grabbed it then walked through the woods. Obviously this was easier to do with a larger craft that has point to grab it (extended landing gear.)

There are actual mounts I've seen for doing just what you're trying to do. If the gimbal is powered it should work.
Yes, I’ve seen a mount for the Mavic, but not come across one for the Evo.

Yes I have experience.

Good luck

I see what you mean about practice. Didn’t realise how much I waddled!

• Haha
Reactions: Tufargon
I own a Yuneec Steady Cam. It is a hand held gimble for the Yuneec cameras. Yes it works good but when walking you still get that up and down motion making it look like your doing some kind of moon walk. I also own Git2P action camera, same as a go pro 3-4 camera. The Gyro stabilization is second to none and is amazing but you still get a bit of up and down motion. People who shoot video with DSL cameras practice walking with the cameras trying to limit that effect.
Good luck with your practicing :)

I own a Yuneec Steady Cam. It is a hand held gimble for the Yuneec cameras. Yes it works good but when walking you still get that up and down motion making it look like your doing some kind of moon walk. I also own Git2P action camera, same as a go pro 3-4 camera. The Gyro stabilization is second to none and is amazing but you still get a bit of up and down motion. People who shoot video with DSL cameras practice walking with the cameras trying to limit that effect.
Good luck with your practicing :)

Is that the one that takes like 8 AA batteries? If so I have one of those from the Q500 I had, but I've never used it. Does it work with the camera from the H?

Mine came with the 8 AA setup. I did the Lipo mod to it but really did not have to as the rechargeable batteries did a pretty good job at lasting a long time. The one I have will work only for the CGO3 & The GoPro gimble. For the Typhoon H (CGO3+) you need a different one as the camera sits lower. Most of them can be had on ebay for dirt cheap now as not many people use them and just want to get rid of them. I think the last ones that came out have the Lipo battery as standard equipment.

I would also say to cover your lights, I turned off the front lights but the rear ones were still bright enough to wash on some walls. I only tried it once just to see if it was feasible. It wasn't too bad but obviously takes some practice.

Think of the videos I can record with this idea! ?
I've strapped it down to the hood of the polaris a few times and took it for drives. Worked pretty darn good if I say so myself.

Reactions: Ansia
I would also say to cover your lights, I turned off the front lights but the rear ones were still bright enough to wash on some walls. I only tried it once just to see if it was feasible. It wasn't too bad but obviously takes some practice.
Yes, noticed that afterwards.

Reactions: Marcle
I do this often wis my x star never used a evo so not sure if it applies but turning off the lights for interior shots really helps otherwise you get red light bouncing off everything

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chen