Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

What’s the highest elevation you can launch from?

Hilo,
I live at 8500', so, before I got my drone, I contacted Autel to make sure that the aircraft would perform okay at higher altitudes. They let me know that I should not have any problem. And, as you, (and I) now know, the aircraft do very well at higher altitudes. I also (recently) got some aftermarket props that are a tiny bit more efficient than the OEM props, and they are also a tad bit quieter. They are made by Master Screw Propellers. For $20, you might give them a try; especially since you are flying at higher altitudes.
The highest (altitude) I've had my drone so far is around 10,500, but I expect to go higher in the future. Your report of flying at higher altitudes is very encouraging for me.

PRMath, the controller will show 400 feet, because it displays the aircraft altitude above the takeoff location.

Last edited:
Reactions: PRMath
Don’t know...... so I’ll ask.
If I stand atop a 400ft condo and launch up to 400 feet..... will the altitude show 400 or 800 feet on the controller
Whats the altitude of the bird?? That's what you will see! If you are on top of a mountain and throw a ball up. what's its alt?

It will read 400'. The altitude upon departure is 0'.

It's interesting to see the inverse. Having flown fixed wing since I was 8, negative altitudes are not something one expects to encounter. However, if you depart from the top of the same condo and fly to the ground, it would read -400'. From a practical point of view - if you depart from the top of a 500' cliff and land at the base below, don't be surprised if you can't get the pumpkin home without changing the max altitude settings.

'Altitude' generally refers to the distance above sea-level.
'Elevation' generally refers to the distance above the ground.

Reactions: KunBow
'Altitude' generally refers to the distance above sea-level.
'Elevation' generally refers to the distance above the ground.
In "General", I would agree. However, we could debate that until the cows come home as inconsistencies are all around us.

I keep forgetting I'm not sitting in the cockpit anymore.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dandandan