Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

What do you consider "windy?"

MitchNC

Reaction score
My friend is having some land cleared for a lake. I thought it would be cool to hover in place for about 8 minutes and make a time lapse.
Wind was 3 mph but in the video the Evo is drifting all over the place! It really surprised because I could swear I've filmed with stronger breeze and got rock-solid video.

It moved up and down so severely that a tractor in the foreground goes from being completely in-frame to completely out of frame.

My friend is having some land cleared for a lake. I thought it would be cool to hover in place for about 8 minutes and make a time lapse.
Wind was 3 mph but in the video the Evo is drifting all over the place! It really surprised because I could swear I've filmed with stronger breeze and got rock-solid video.

It moved up and down so severely that a tractor in the foreground goes from being completely in-frame to completely out of frame.
Was it locked onto GPS or in ATTI?

Shouldn’t move about like that in GPS. MIne hovers without much movement even at three times that speed.

Interesting.

This is after applying stabilization in Vegas.
It was much worse before that.

Being in a clearing with trees around posible down drafts moving the bird down then it climbs back up to where it should be ? Seems fairly steady side to side . Just a wild guess !!

The timelapse may be the only reason why you can notice the 'swaying'. It's not perfect by any means 'hovering in one place'. Don't think there is any drones out there that would guarentee a 'perfect hover'. ;)

I've had similar experience even when it's not windy at all.

I just got my Evo recently and one thing I have noticed quickly is how much the wind blows this thing around. 3mph is nothing but I just flew in 8 mph winds with 20 mph gusts. When I turned to head back to home in a head wind the drone moved like 1mph and on gusts moved backward just blowing all over. I have to emergency land and then hunt it down. I learned my lesson. This is not a windy day drone. LOL

I just got my Evo recently and one thing I have noticed quickly is how much the wind blows this thing around. 3mph is nothing but I just flew in 8 mph winds with 20 mph gusts. When I turned to head back to home in a head wind the drone moved like 1mph and on gusts moved backward just blowing all over. I have to emergency land and then hunt it down. I learned my lesson. This is not a windy day drone. LOL
Not many drones are rated for 20mph winds, and gusts are in some ways worse than constant winds. And if you must fly with even a moderate wind it’s best to start your flight INTO it if possible so that it can help you on the way home.

I never take any drone including my Evo in winds of over 9mph. Even though it could be safe. I had seen my Evo shaking too much in 12mph winds.

I never take any drone including my Evo in winds of over 9mph. Even though it could be safe. I had seen my Evo shaking too much in 12mph winds.
Flown mine in 23kph gusts. Got to be careful with the landing though.

I’m wondering if the difference is whether the wind is steady and constant or gusting. I’ve flown my bird in 11 mph wind without any problems, but have seen it struggle in less on days when the wind was shifting speed and direction.

Reactions: Nightbat2
I flew my Evo yesterday in 18mph winds. It held steady as it should, didn't have any problems flying headwind. Perhaps you had your settings wrong? I've changed from Ludicrous mode to Standard and for some strange reason, sometimes it sets itself at 11mph as max speed. Perhaps that was what happened. As for the up and down. I've seen that happened in places where the prop wash affects the drone flight.

Reactions: Nightbat2
I’m wondering if the difference is whether the wind is steady and constant or gusting. I’ve flown my bird in 11 mph wind without any problems, but have seen it struggle in less on days when the wind was shifting speed and direction.
Gusty seems worse than a steady, moderate wind. Another factor is terrain. Steep slopes can cause unexpected updrafts.

When I get time to edit the video you can see for yourself what happened. I recorded the screen and have the video from the drone all the way up to when I found it and picked it up. I know most people go to Ludicrous mode when the have strong wind. I feel the Evo is less predictable in that mode. Has anyone ever tried to fly into a head wind with just the obstacle avoidance turned off? I wonder if that would increase the power and keep the control in normal mode.

When I get time to edit the video you can see for yourself what happened. I recorded the screen and have the video from the drone all the way up to when I found it and picked it up. I know most people go to Ludicrous mode when the have strong wind. I feel the Evo is less predictable in that mode. Has anyone ever tried to fly into a head wind with just the obstacle avoidance turned off? I wonder if that would increase the power and keep the control in normal mode.
I have. It flies exacly the same. You do get more battery life.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonybravo