Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

X-Star Premium range

PcolaBird

Reaction score
I don't seem to be able to fly more than about half-mile out. At that distance I start losing connectivity. Flying about 100-150' above a lightly wooded, unpopulated area. I tried adjusting antenna while flying but did not seem to have much effect. Am I doing something wrong or is that just the mileage I can expect? Any input will be appreciated. Thanks.

You should get more than that if there is not a lot of WiFi noise in the air.
This is from the manual. Be sure you have the antenna positioned properly.

Screen Shot 2018-02-19 at 12.05.06 AM☀️.png

I would also add getting up to 200-250 should also help your range. It is amazing how much trees interfere with a signal but like TJ has pointed out having the antennas positioned right will also help you out.

Thanks! I will tweak antenna positioning. I may not have had the blades turned properly. And I likely was trying to connect through treetops, so I'll try adding some altitude. What are you thoughts on range extenders? Thanks again.

From the reports I have seen it is about 50\50 if they improve the connection. They are pretty cheap to buy so if they don't work you are not out to much. On the other hand if you want a 4Hawks Raptor XR they are not cheap but do the job very well. The down side is installation is not for everyone.

From the reports I have seen it is about 50\50 if they improve the connection. They are pretty cheap to buy so if they don't work you are not out to much. On the other hand if you want a 4Hawks Raptor XR they are not cheap but do the job very well. The down side is installation is not for everyone.
Right, the install is like surgery — slow and methodical, since there are a few steps where a mistake ruins the RC.
That said, I love my similar antenna (same install method), it increased my range dramatically. BUT, as Augustine states, under a tree canopy Is still problematic...

Do remember that a range extended (antenna amplifier) will also receive 'more interference' as well as more 'good signal'. (It can't tell the difference between the two. If you are having problems with interference, it won't help - unless the interference is to the side of you or behind you as the extender makes your antennas more directional. (It rejects signal from the sides and back).

When I'm in heavy woods I get about 2500. The other day I was out on the open river, and at 3200 feet I brought it back due to line of sight, but I feel it would have kept going.

“Enhanced WiFi” not too clear on what that is yet??
Is it when it uses the new 802.11af standards. That Wifi transmission takes place on UHF waves and has a range of miles??

Does Autel use enhanced WiFi to transmit signal like the DJI Mavic Air does ?
Just curious...... TIA
No, it does not. The XSP uses a different set of frequencies. Commonly they use 2.4ghz & 5.8ghz but the XSP uses 900mhz & 2.4ghz. The XSP is rated to 2000m in range, the Mavic Air is 4000m range. In theory, the 900mhz should cut through more vegetation. Keep in mind the XSP is using old tech whereas the Air has the latest. It really comes down to budget & your planned uses. You could get an XSP, but if you have the cash, why would you when there are so many newer choices out there. If your an Autel diehard see if the EVO makes it to market and see how that does. It will have the newer tech and is spec'ed to go 4 miles in range (just like the Mavic Pro they based it on).

No, it does not. The XSP uses a different set of frequencies. Commonly they use 2.4ghz & 5.8ghz but the XSP uses 900mhz & 2.4ghz. The XSP is rated to 2000m in range, the Mavic Air is 4000m range. In theory, the 900mhz should cut through more vegetation. Keep in mind the XSP is using old tech whereas the Air has the latest. It really comes down to budget & your planned uses. You could get an XSP, but if you have the cash, why would you when there are so many newer choices out there. If your an Autel diehard see if the EVO makes it to market and see how that does. It will have the newer tech and is spec'ed to go 4 miles in range (just like the Mavic Pro they based it on).
Thank you ...... very interesting info

For what it's worth, I bought a pair of $14 Skyreat range extenders to try out. I continually suffer from the dreaded "Video Disconnect" message. Range seems to have little to do with it.

I immediately noticed an improvement (reduced video disconnects). When I did experience one, it quickly recovered as I adjusted the angle of incidence. Doing so seemed to keep things functioning normally.

PS - I was not interested in extending my range beyond VLOS so I'm not your guy to attest as to whether or not I can go 2-3 miles out or more.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MountainDroneTN