Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

4°F pictures

Jagerbomb52

Reaction score
Cold windy days for over a week. Sun came out but it was only 4°F but I needed some fresh air so off I went to the river. Don't think I have to worry about any float planes appearing out of nowhere for a while. :)
The winds were 14-16 MPH but the gusts were over 35 MPH. Trying to yaw the x-star in those conditions is real hard. Those props sure make a lot of noise when its that windy LOL

lightroom-1a.jpg lightroom-4a.jpg lightroom-2a.jpg lightroom-3a.jpg screenshot-www.uavforecast.com 2017-12-13 12-11-49-666.png

Man that looks cold. I had to wear a hoodie to watch it! I recently switched to Master Airscrew props, and like them a bunch. They are quieter, no doubt, but in 35mph gusts? Nothing helps with that.. So, it was -10F+ with wind-chill??

Reactions: Franlac
Awesome pics. Would have been cool to see a train running down those tracks when you took the pics.

Guess that answers one of my noob questions. How cold is too cold to fly. Bought mine last weekend and it turned winter the day I was driving across Indiana to pick her up. The wind is blowing upwards to 45MPH today so it’s a no fly kinda day. I can handle the cold, but didn’t know if the machine would.

Yep, I wanted to fly today, but the snow just would not stop.

Man that looks cold. I had to wear a hoodie to watch it! I recently switched to Master Airscrew props, and like them a bunch. They are quieter, no doubt, but in 35mph gusts? Nothing helps with that.. So, it was -10F+ with wind-chill??
Hello from France.
I also flew with the propellers, master airscrew !!
but I do not find them really quieter! neither better in the wind!
they are really expensive, and the quality of finish is average.
If you want some really good propellers, which are really good with a little bit of wind.
and very very quietter .
And if you can find it in the United States, I recommend the propellers,
cam carbon light from aeronaut.
It's a Rolls Royce of the propellers, believe me !
CAM-Carbon Light-Prop, 9,5x4,5", linkslaufend., m.Gewinde M6, Aeronaut # 721518 | CAM-Carbon light | Aeronaut | Fixed props | Props and adapters | All you need for electric flight

I made this video to test the propellers.
I'm sorry it's in French !!
Agree Francis.
I have the same sets as yourself. (Stock, Airscrew and Cam-Carbon)

Cam-Carbon are by far the best. (also, in my opinion)

I believe there is a thread that details prop tests?

Regards,
Cider Boy.

Guess that answers one of my noob questions. How cold is too cold to fly. Bought mine last weekend and it turned winter the day I was driving across Indiana to pick her up. The wind is blowing upwards to 45MPH today so it’s a no fly kinda day. I can handle the cold, but didn’t know if the machine would.
I have flown in sub zero temps. Best tips I can give you, keep the batteries warm prior to use and get a TX bag or your hands will freeze & break off! :eek:
With my Mavic I sit inside my truck and fly. :D

IMG_1925.jpg

Yes, the Aeronaut props are excellent, but they cost 50% more than the Master Airscrews. They are quieter, but the lightness didn't me any extra time or performance that I could notice. My main issue is landing on uneven lava gravel. Lava rock and carbon fiber props is bad mix. If I tip over while landing the Aeronauts chip badly, which happened on my 1st flight. : ( I can't always carry a landing mat unless I launch near my car. The Master Airscrew props do not chip too easily, and are very flexible -- I can sand-out minor chips quickly, while carbon is harder to work with...

Yes, the Aeronaut props are excellent, but they cost 50% more than the Master Airscrews. They are quieter, but the lightness didn't me any extra time or performance that I could notice. My main issue is landing on uneven lava gravel. Lava rock and carbon fiber props is bad mix. If I tip over while landing the Aeronauts chip badly, which happened on my 1st flight. : ( I can't always carry a landing mat unless I launch near my car. The Master Airscrew props do not chip too easily, and are very flexible -- I can sand-out minor chips quickly, while carbon is harder to work with...

The solution here is hand launching, and landing. Quite easy, if done properly.

The solution here is hand launching, and landing. Quite easy, if done properly.
that's exactly it, but it must be done safely, and especially far from other people who could distract you, I leave the drone in flight very stable in front of me at 1.90m of altitude and I catch it firmly, and I cut the engines ..

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm. It’s never windy when you fly? Sounds a tad dangerous, especially b/c Carbon blades cut flesh much better than more flexible props according to the DJI forums. I really wanted to use these excellent props, but I’m really happy with the Airscrews — think I’ll stick to landing on Terra rocky firma...

Subie, just make sure that you've had your drone and batteries indoors (and warmed up) before you take them out into the cold. Otherwise, you may get a 'cold battery' warning. Your batteries also perform better when they are warmed up. Nevertheless, you can fly in any temperature you want.

Well everything has its limits, people in Arizona this summer stopped flying the Autel when temps reached 130 degrees. Batteries do not like hot temps :)
Flying in anything lower than 0 degrees F even with my warm mitt on I cannot see myself out there enjoying it LOL
Again batteries will only work when it gets so cold.
You can push the recommended values but I would not go to extreme :)

Reactions: LuvMyTJ

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flylover