Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Augustine...replacement antennas?

I bought the SKYGREAT antenna range extenders. Haven't really noticed a difference, but I haven't flown past a few thousand ft. Gonna do a range test today and will keep notified.

Reactions: Cider Boy
The dual band has me concerned with only one connector. Makes me wonder how that works. 9 db gain sounds great.
i really don't know anything about dual band antennas to give you a answer.
Wouldn't you like to be the guinea pig? With your controller the way it is now, I guess you could try all kinds of stuff.

The dual band has me concerned with only one connector. Makes me wonder how that works. 9 db gain sounds great.
i really don't know anything about dual band antennas to give you a answer.
Dual Band antennas have a central element and a second element usually in the external material, like in the plastic, each cut to the specific wavelength, separated by the necessary amount of space as to not cause harmonic interference.

Does that matter? And if so, maybe an explanation of why you ask that question would be in order? Thanks.
It matters immensely. While they both use the 5.8Ghz band for TX control, the XS uses 2.4Ghz for video transmission where the XSP uses 902Mhz. The XSP actually has 2 antennas in one on one side (5.8Ghz & 902Mhz), and other side has just one 5.8Ghz.

Basically, if it is an XSP the dual band (2.4Ghz & 5.8Ghz) is half useless.

See, that's the techno geek stuff most of us have no idea about!!!! Thanks for the clarity!!!! :)

XSP. I was thinking about the 5.8ghz. I was googling a high gain 5.8ghz and these dual band antennas kept popping up.

Last edited:
XSP. I was thinking about the 5.8ghz. I was googling a high gain 5.8ghz and these dual band antennas kept popping up.
They will pop up all the time as they are for WiFi routers that operate in both of those bands. If you put one of those on the left antenna position (when looking at the top of the remote) you will have video issues as LuvMyTJ stated the XSP uses 900Mhz for video transmission. You will not find dual band 5.8Ghz with 900Mhz too often, if ever. 800 & 900Mhz are old cellular (Nextel 900Mhz), land mobile spectrum (police and public safety radios) and amateur radio spectrums so they are used a lot less anymore.

Interesting reading... I have spent way too much time on different antennas and range extenders trying to enhance the video/control signals at greater range without much success. I fly my XSP over rugged inaccessible canyons & waterfalls on the Big Island. I’ve had harrowing moments loosing signal, but the Home command has always worked, thankfully. I always keep the Home return altitude at 150’. I’ve been using the latest beta firmware with no issues.....so far. The performance seems crisper..

I finally bit the bullet and got the $130 Itelite antenna on eBay. Yes, it’s big, but very light weight. The clip to hold it to the RC is funky, but can easily be enhanced to hold it more securely. The brain surgery on the RC unit is tense but doable. Use a white table cloth, well lit room, and have no distractions. It takes about an hour, if you take your time to fully understand each step before proceeding.

The range increases have been dramatically improved — 200-300%. In an open field, the range is scary far, well out of sight, which I’ll never do again. There is still the occasional video signal hiccup, but they are brief and few. It’s a drastic mod, but IMHO, worth it.

Last edited:
Aloha @HiloHawaiian ! I lived on Oahu for 10+ years while stationed at Bellows and Hickam. The Raptor and IteLite are basically identical systems and I have gotten some really good range extension in a more urban area with lots of houses. Have not made it out to an open area yet to test real distance gains. Glad that you are getting good results from yours. Look for the 4Hawks Raptor thread in here and happy flying.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skygod34