Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Can the X-Star do this?

braindonor

Reaction score
I need to check the brand of bulbs on athletic fields light poles quickly. Could I fly an X-Star up to the top of a light pole and be able to read the print on the bulb via the camera on the X-Star? I don't own a drone but am thinking of buying one - X-star in particular.

It could... but you must be skilled and careful enough to not hit the pole. Do not attempt on a breezy day!

Just for clarification then, do I have to be a world class pilot to be able to read the brand or just pretty good? And the assumption in your answer is that the drone is not the limiting factor - the camera can definitely see something like a brand name printed on a bulb. Is that your assessment? Would this be better accomplished with a drone that had a camera with zooming capabilities?

If the brand is printed on the bottom of the bulb you wont be able to see it. How would get the camera to point upward?

Like the others (above) I would say 'yes!' To give yourself a little extra insurance, get some prop guards for your XSP. Not many drone pilots use them. However, even the best of drone pilots will tell you that there is a time and place for prop guards. Likewise, I think you found that place! Do let us know how it works out for you.
By the way, you can take a number of still shots while you are up by the bulb, AND/OR you can take video. Then, when you play back the video with a video editor, you'll have a choice of MANY frames to choose from. Most of us shoot 30 frames per second in video. Thus, you'll have 30 frames to choose from for every second of video that you have.
Also, do a successful compass calibration before you launch the drone. That will insure that the drone will be as steady as possible. Last, but not least, you CAN zoom in (digitally) by putting your thumb and forefinger on the monitor and spreading them apart. Cool, huh!

Just for clarification then, do I have to be a world class pilot to be able to read the brand or just pretty good? And the assumption in your answer is that the drone is not the limiting factor - the camera can definitely see something like a brand name printed on a bulb. Is that your assessment? Would this be better accomplished with a drone that had a camera with zooming capabilities?

No, you don't have to be a world class pilot BUT, you do need to exercise extra caution if you are going to fly within inches of this object. The drone is going to be drifting or bouncing slightly as it holds position and any breeze will make matters more difficult. The camera won't be an issue since it's stabilized although a zoom would make things easier for sure. The X-Star's stock camera does not have zoom capability. As another pointed out, you can't point the camera up so if the logo is on the bottom of the lamp you are out of luck.

Shooting in timelapse mode at highest resoultion available could be an option. While you concentrate on flying, the XSP is taking pics for you. Also the AEB burst mode can take multiple shots and varying exposures with each trigger of the shutter. Either way, using highest rez possible will allow greater detail and ability to zoom in closer.

The X-Star's stock camera does not have zoom capability.

The camera does indeed have zoom. It was added during one of the beta firmwares. All you have to do is pinch your screen on your phone or tablet and it will zoom. Zoom does not work in the higher resolutions but you don't need 4K video for what he wants to do.

Don't these bulbs have shades around them? I'm really confused about what he wants to do.

I think maybe he's just looking for an excuse to get a drone, which would be reasonable.

Reactions: Jagerbomb52
Depending on the brand I guess it would be workable as most don't point straight down. Some have covers over them and other don't

soccer-or-baseball-floodlights-bte6j7.jpg

The camera does indeed have zoom. It was added during one of the beta firmwares.

That's a digital zoom however, not a mechanical one. Should still work for his purposes. If the lights are like the ones in the photo above it should be doable. Take a still photo or snap from a video and enhance with PhotoShop or whatever... should be able to read the markings.

Thanks this is great information! So in summary: there is a firmware upgrade that adds zoom and that will help; the trick is to fly close enough to a bulb to video or photograph what's printed on it without crashing it; it's fine if it can't be read until the photo is blown up on a computer.

Full disclosure: this is all part of an elaborate scavenger hunt I am putting together for my kids (all adults) and this is just one part of several puzzles they have to get through to get to the surprise I have for them at the end. I wanted this part of the puzzle to be a set of GPS coordinates (including an elevation) that they would have to read. I wanted it to be something they could only get to via a drone (and yes, it would be a great excuse to buy a drone :D ). But it doesn't have to be this exact scenario. It could be anything that you could only solve via drone - but it would have to be something you couldn't see on google maps satellite as that would be too easy.

I found an X-Star Premium on Craiglist for $600 so that's why I'm asking about this particular drone. Yeah, it's pretty crazy but I like doing crazy things.

Reactions: KentA
As long as the drone hasn't been crashed, it should be good for you. I got mine 'used' and it was as good as new! After you download the Starlink app for your phone or tablet, then you can see how many times the battery has been recharged. (That gives you a good indication as to how much the drone has been used.) The Starlink app will also tell you what firmware is loaded into the drone. If it needs to be updated, no worries as you can download the latest firmware update from the Autelrobotics.com website. The instructions for doing the update are also there.
Welcome to droning and to the forum!

At t his point I'm wondering why you don't just climb up there and look. After all, if any need to be replaced (and I'm thinking that's why you need a brand name) you would have to climb up there anyway.

Reactions: Jagerbomb52
Thanks this is great information! So in summary: there is a firmware upgrade that adds zoom and that will help; the trick is to fly close enough to a bulb to video or photograph what's printed on it without crashing it; it's fine if it can't be read until the photo is blown up on a computer.

Full disclosure: this is all part of an elaborate scavenger hunt I am putting together for my kids (all adults) and this is just one part of several puzzles they have to get through to get to the surprise I have for them at the end. I wanted this part of the puzzle to be a set of GPS coordinates (including an elevation) that they would have to read. I wanted it to be something they could only get to via a drone (and yes, it would be a great excuse to buy a drone :D ). But it doesn't have to be this exact scenario. It could be anything that you could only solve via drone - but it would have to be something you couldn't see on google maps satellite as that would be too easy.

I found an X-Star Premium on Craiglist for $600 so that's why I'm asking about this particular drone. Yeah, it's pretty crazy but I like doing crazy things.
I think that if you're planning on having folks have to fly up to these lights, and read a brand name, as part of s scavenger hunt, (if I'm understanding you correctly) you should come up with an easier scenario. I've been flying for several years, and this isn't something I would want to do. In anything other than dead calm winds, it would be dangerous. You would have to be within inches of the light. These are wide angle cameras, and are meant for landscape photography. Which is why I get so twisted up when people think you can spy on someone in their home with a drone. You would have to be do close to a window, you are likely to hit it. I really don't care THAT much what someone is doing, to risk $800 to spy on them. Buy an $800 telescope. A much better chance of success.

Yep, high pressure sodium bulbs exploding near a lipo battery probably wouldn't be a big hit ether.

As soon as you get within a few feet of a metal light pole or similar structure the magnetometer goes berserk and you find yourself wobbling all over the sky in ATTi mode....I've tried it. You need to stand off with a Zenmuse zoom camera to do the job.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barry.bain