Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

EVO remote control antenna hinge pins coming out?

WVDronr

Reaction score
I've had problems with the antenna hinge pins working their way out. Anyone else having this problem? I've lost two and have to ship it back to Autel for repair :-(

Seems to be a common problem. I see that problem posted on facebook from time to time.

Also today I see the fellow from France has a picture of his shell cracking around the folding arms. People might what to check for hair line cracks in those areas.

Reactions: WVDronr
Sent mine in for replacement of the pins.... second flight after it came back... pin fell out again. Fixed it myself.

Sent mine in for replacement of the pins.... second flight after it came back... pin fell out again. Fixed it myself.
I machined a couple aluminum pins for mine, just to prevent further damage. I'm dreading 3-4 weeks without it as it's shipped both ways & time they'll need to do the repairs. I'd just do the total repair myself, but I'm concerned it would void my warranty

I was told send in my EVO for pin replacement or lose my warranty if I used something I machined. Obviously the later is the only course of action for permanent repairs, however. I can imagine Autel will not be comfortable with metallic pins due to the wiring that is in contact with the pins as they pivot around.... if any sheathing were compromised... something non conductive might be the ticket. I use wooden dowels of the tiny variety and they seem to hold up quite well.

Last edited:
20181115_102720480_iOS.jpgHere's my fix. Not pretty, not very professional, but it works. Can't see sending it across the country for something so minor. I just cut a piece out off a paper clip and slid it through being carefull not to damage the wire.

View attachment 2978Here's my fix. Not pretty, not very professional, but it works. Can't see sending it across the country for something so minor. I just cut a piece out off a paper clip and slid it through being carefull not to damage the wire.
Thank you fpt. I don't want to send it in, but I was told that if I did anything like this, it would void my warranty. I'm a fabricator/machinist, so I can make pins, but I don't want to jeopardize my warranty.

I was told send in my EVO for pin replacement or lose my warranty if I used something I machined. Obviously the later is the only course of action for permanent repairs, however. I can imagine Autel will not be comfortable with metallic pins due to the wiring that is in contact with the pins as they pivot around.... if any sheathing were compromised... something non conductive might be the ticket. I use wooden dowels of the tiny variety and they seem to hold up quite well.

Good point, Agabus! I immediately removed the aluminum pins and I've found that 1.75mm 3D printing filament is about the perfect size for temporarily holding things together. Thank you

Reactions: Agabus
I've had problems with the antenna hinge pins working their way out. Anyone else having this problem? I've lost two and have to ship it back to Autel for repair :-(
yup, happening to me too. I'm just watching them as a part of pre and post flight and pushing them in if needed. Real drag this.

yup, happening to me too. I'm just watching them as a part of pre and post flight and pushing them in if needed. Real drag this.

Had a similar issue on another piece of equipment that uses a wifi router. Heated a razor blade and scored it at the pin melting the plastic together just enough to bite. Still was able to replace the antennas when they melted which was often... But those pins never backed out no matter how many times we flexed them.

Just shove a toothpick through and clip the ends. The toothpicks designed for hors-d'oeuvres (just a taper on one end) work perfectly. Touch them up with a dab from a black marker if the wood color is hard to deal with

If the original pins are still there and they haven't fallen out yet, push them in fully and apply a small drop of crazy glue at the top of the pin!

Bad/cheap design and sending it back will result in the same thing since they are just putting new pins that will come back out!

Last edited:
Just shove a toothpick through and clip the ends. The toothpicks designed for hors-d'oeuvres (just a taper on one end) work perfectly. Touch them up with a dab from a black marker if the wood color is hard to deal with

If the original pins are still there and they haven't fallen out yet, push them in fully and apply a small drop of crazy glue at the top of the pin!

Bad/cheap design and sending it back will result in the same thing since they are just putting new pins that will come back out!
Would you happen to have any pics showing what you did?

Thanks.

Would you happen to have any pics showing what you did?

Thanks.
Here are some pix of the toothpick inserted and roughly trimmed, the spot of glue on the other pins that are still there, and the toothpick type I used. You have to be a little cautious inserting the toothpick ( or whatever is used) since it has to go under the antenna wire to make sure there is freedom of movement for the wire when folding the arm. And like I mentioned, the wood can be touched up with a black marker if needed?

Attachments

• 20181223_070819.jpg
    20181223_070819.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 52
  • 20181223_070852.jpg
    20181223_070852.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 49
  • 20181223_070910.jpg
    20181223_070910.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 49
Antenna_Base_Protection1.jpg

Autel_Retainer_OG.jpg