Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Is There a Special Word for Crabbing?

GeekOnTheWing

Reaction score
Website
flypart107.aero
In airplanes, usually to counter a crosswind, it's common to "crab," which means the heading is offset from the linear direction of travel. Is this word also used for quads when done intentionally? Thanks.

I guess you apply some right or left Yaw into the sticks and fly like that? Never thought of that one, leave to a Part 61 Pilot! LOL

Reactions: GeekOnTheWing
I guess you apply some right or left Yaw into the sticks and fly like that? Never thought of that one, leave to a Part 61 Pilot! LOL

In an airplane, you basically use the rudder and ailerons to make a turn into the wind, at a rate that keeps the linear direction of travel aligned with the runway, and an airspeed that results in a proper descent. If there were no wind, you'd be flying a big, descending circle.

My interest with regard to drones is what do I call a similar maneuver executed for the purpose of aiming the camera at the thing being recorded at an angle, and maintaining that angle for the duration of the inspection. I know how to do it. I just don't know what it's called.

Actually, let me make a quick video. That will explain it better. I'll be baaaack.

In airplanes, usually to counter a crosswind, it's common to "crab," which means the heading is offset from the linear direction of travel. Is this word also used for quads when done intentionally? Thanks.

I use that maneuver quite a bit because I personally almost never like to pan the camera. In camera movement terms that is typically called truck left/right. For me, everything is camera related; if I am filming a clip that requires trucking footage, I will truck left or right and sometimes add other movement as well to either avoid obstacles or increase interest in the subject material.

Trucking left combined with a dolly out would be the camera movement lingo for the footage shown in your video; this movement can be used to perform a nice reveal and I could see it working well if for example you are revealing a mountainside with a sunset or sunrise on the other side.

I have found with drones that in a true cross wind it is nearly impossible to hide the course corrections from the camera if you need to track a subject so for those scenarios I don't even try; I tend to instead add a slight orbit or simply use a different camera movement that uses the wind to my advantage. I also tend to speed ramp or simply speed up my drone footage quite a bit so the starting footage needs to be very stable and precise to still be useable when it is sped up.

I use that maneuver quite a bit because I personally almost never like to pan the camera. In camera movement terms that is typically called truck left/right. For me, everything is camera related; if I am filming a clip that requires trucking footage, I will truck left or right and sometimes add other movement as well to either avoid obstacles or increase interest in the subject material.

I have found with drones that in a true cross wind it is nearly impossible to hide the course corrections from the camera if you need to track a subject so for those scenarios I don't even try; I tend to instead add a slight orbit or simply use a different camera movement that uses the wind to my advantage.

Thank you.

I just think it looks more interesting. Even though the videos I plan to make are just inspections, I'd like them to be visually pleasant.

Yeah, it was pretty windy today when I was at my "practice site." I went there specifically to practice in the wind, but the wind got too gusty for comfort. I only got 20 minutes in before I called it off.

I think we do this because our autel gimbal will not pan like the dji gimbal will.

in any case, I get these shots all the time when my mission takes me in one direction and the camera is locked on a waypoint. personally, I don't think I've practiced enough to get a good long shot like this especially if there is a change in altitude (reveal).

I think we do this because our autel gimbal will not pan like the dji gimbal will.

in any case, I get these shots all the time when my mission takes me in one direction and the camera is locked on a waypoint. personally, I don't think I've practiced enough to get a good long shot like this especially if there is a change in altitude (reveal).

I was actually surprised that the gimbal didn't pan. I guess they're more concerned with the stabilization.

It's really not hard to do it without the gimbal pan. It might be easier if the control stick were longer. Maybe I'll fashion an extension.

I'm semi-retired, so I have an advantage in practice opportunities. That old house and I have become quite close. The ghosts look forward to my visits.

That little section of state land also has a big field for free-flight practice, and there's almost never anyone around during the week because there's really nothing else there but a porta-potty. It's a handy practice spot.

I was actually surprised that the gimbal didn't pan. I guess they're more concerned with the stabilization.

It's really not hard to do it without the gimbal pan. It might be easier if the control stick were longer. Maybe I'll fashion an extension.

I'm semi-retired, so I have an advantage in practice opportunities. That old house and I have become quite close. The ghosts look forward to my visits.

That little section of state land also has a big field for free-flight practice, and there's almost never anyone around during the week because there's really nothing else there but a porta-potty. It's a handy practice spot.

Their focus on stability certainly paid off, I use Ludicrous mode all the time and can still get commercially viable footage at 45mph.....with the DJI drones this is not usually possible. With DJI, I only used their Sport Mode to return to the takeoff point faster or to overcome wind but gave up on trying to film at that speed. I also had the DJI gimbals shut down on me in Sport mode and just go limp because the gimbal was not able to keep the camera stable at speed.

Their focus on stability certainly paid off, I use Ludicrous mode all the time and can still get commercially viable footage at 45mph.....with the DJI drones this is not usually possible. With DJI, I only used their Sport Mode to return to the takeoff point faster or to overcome wind but gave up on trying to film at that speed. I also had the DJI gimbals shut down on me in Sport mode and just go limp because the gimbal was not able to keep the camera stable at speed.
That was actually one of the things I repeatedly read that nudged me toward Autel. Not the DJI Sport Mode particularly, but the comments about, and actual videos of, the Autel stabilization.

I've been impressed by it so far. Yesterday's conditions were more gusty than I thought it would be able to handle, but it did just fine.

Simple answer yes, some use "crab" in context of airplane crab on landing e.g. flying at an angle to direction of travel. However "crab" also gets used by some in a different context which is flying from side to side without rotating/yaw the aircraft. If somebody asks you to crab or get a crab shot, clarify what they want or are looking for as words can have two or more meanings.

Simple answer yes, some use "crab" in context of airplane crab on landing e.g. flying at an angle to direction of travel. However "crab" also gets used by some in a different context which is flying from side to side without rotating/yaw the aircraft. If somebody asks you to crab or get a crab shot, clarify what they want or are looking for as words can have two or more meanings.
Okay, thank you.

In this context, I would think a side-to-side shot without rotation would be a linear pan.

Reactions: gschulzuio
Okay, thank you.

In this context, I would think a side-to-side shot without rotation would be a linear pan.
No worries, yup, concur, however thats why I mentioned context as have had some request a crab when they want a linear pan. Likewise have done aircraft style crab and then a producer or director says they love it and want to push in or pull back which can make for a fun shot. Another fun compound shot is doing an aircraft crab while descending and pushing in on a subject, comes in handy when flying towards direction of sun without looking into the sun per say.

Reactions: UasDriver
No worries, yup, concur, however thats why I mentioned context as have had some request a crab when they want a linear pan. Likewise have done aircraft style crab and then a producer or director says they love it and want to push in or pull back which can make for a fun shot. Another fun compound shot is doing an aircraft crab while descending and pushing in on a subject, comes in handy when flying towards direction of sun without looking into the sun per say.

Thanks. I'll have to try that one.

I actually took a break from practice and switched to testing in 4K and 60 FPS today to avoid judder. I shot similar footage to the Old House video, but in 60 FPS. Night and day difference. If it ever finishes uploading I'll post it under Videos.

The nice part was that when I was done I realized I didn't have to think very much about actually moving the controls.

I actually took a break from practice and switched to testing in 4K and 60 FPS today to avoid judder. I shot similar footage to the Old House video, but in 60 FPS. Night and day difference. If it ever finishes uploading I'll post it under Videos.

The nice part was that when I was done I realized I didn't have to think very much about actually moving the controls.
4K 60FPS is great for when moving or capturing things that are moving, granted you could do at lower resolution, the 4K just gives you more to work with especially if/when rendering down.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chen