Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Loss of video link signal

I have the same problem and Autel has the worst customer service. They like to blame the problem on you and your surroundings vs their poorly made product. I finally got a ticket to send mine in (after constantly nagging them for 2 weeks straight) but I doubt the problem will be resolved when I get it back. I have an ITELITE DBS antenna on the way. Hopefully that will help with the poor reception issues.

Thing is I bought this drone because it was SUPPOSED to have excellent customer service.

They tried to blame the way my antenna was oriented previously. Really??? Even when it is 10 feet away??? Please let us know how you fare with a fix. I am tired of the constant video signal loss.

Reactions: flying High
OK, so I tried it with my work phone (in addition to my Google Pixel) which is an Iphone 6. I get the exact same frequency of video disconnects. This helps to rule out the cable and the device. I will sometimes get video signal interference when the drone is even 10 feet away. I can replicate the error messages almost everytime by flying 500 feet away with a clear line of site to the drone.

Now I tried to call the support line and it is having me leave a message. I dunno, but is this company in trouble?

Any luck with reaching customer support? I never had to leave a message before. I hope this isn't a bad sign. I am curious on what they have to say?

I contacted them facebook and they were suggesting an email ticket. :( I might be paranoid but to me this is a VERY bad sign.

It turns out they did leave me voicemail previously but I missed it because their name did not show on Caller ID; yet another bad sign. I have sent email this morning and called them again, 2 minutes after they opened. I again received voicemail. This is a VERY bad sign.

So I put in a ticket and received a request for information to RMA. I am encouraged by this a bit. At the same time, I am very concerned by the impression that there is a lack of staff.

I did some more testing today and it seems to disconnect when I fly in certain directions. For instance, I can fly one direction, in a straight line and it is fine. If I fly 180 degrees to that same direction, video is terminated really quickly. I live way out in the country, so I am not buying the environmental interference thing.

So I put in a ticket and received a request for information to RMA. I am encouraged by this a bit. At the same time, I am very concerned by the impression that there is a lack of staff.

I did some more testing today and it seems to disconnect when I fly in certain directions. For instance, I can fly one direction, in a straight line and it is fine. If I fly 180 degrees to that same direction, video is terminated really quickly. I live way out in the country, so I am not buying the environmental interference thing.

Have you tried spreading the antenna apart in different configurations?
Regarding customer service - that is encouraging. If they lack staff, I guess you will know them on a first name bases. :)

Have you tried spreading the antenna apart in different configurations?
Countless. When you get the video interference message and the drone is 10' away.....Come on!!!
Does this Drone only have a limit of roughly 450'? Not from what I read!

Countless. When you get the video interference message and the drone is 10' away.....Come on!!!
Does this Drone only have a limit of roughly 450'? Not from what I read!

This is probably another dumb question that you already tried (got to rule out "duh" right?), but did you flash the (RAM) memory of inactive apps in the background? The Starlink app is such a memory hog. Also worth noting, if you don't have enough ROM it might be a problem. Example, the device is 64gb, but with 50 apps and 3000 photos onboard its struggling to keep up with Starlink's demands.

IMG_1011.jpg

I ended up sending my drone in. Autel was very good to deal with. They paid for shipping in both directions. The issue was related to an antenna being disconnected on one side of the drone. Since having it back, I occasionally lose video signal but it is temporary. Previously I could not get the drone out past 450 feet in certain directions. I have had it out to over a 1000 feet now.

Wow! They paid for shipping? That's amazing! Good for you. I just hope this company can stick around for another year, as we are not hearing from them regarding firmware and software updates. It's been crickets on any corporate news from them too.

As for the antenna, I will add that to my preflight check. It must've been pretty frustrating when you were trying to troubleshoot this problem.

Reactions: Tommy Molnar
Im experiencing the same problem I have tried LG4 and Samsung A tablet as well as different cables same problem....*scratching my head*

I know I'm kinda late coming into this thread, but I'm having the same issue with video link loss using my iPhone 6s Plus. I only had this happen a single time prior to the latest StarLink update. Since the latest StarLink update, it seems that I am experiencing this on a regular occurrence. Everything is updated to latest updates available. Was wondering if anyone has found a cause or a fix for this?

Reactions: TAMU1996
I know I'm kinda late coming into this thread, but I'm having the same issue with video link loss using my iPhone 6s Plus. I only had this happen a single time prior to the latest StarLink update. Since the latest StarLink update, it seems that I am experiencing this on a regular occurrence. Everything is updated to latest updates available. Was wondering if anyone has found a cause or a fix for this?

I had the same problem with my iPhone 6 Plus, I think you'll find that the problem is the lightening connection, it just wears out over time. I found that blowing out the port with compressed air, a light spray of contact cleaner and most important.....twisting the lightening cable 2 or 3 times before insertion should help the video/ app link connection. It did for me anyway o_O

So, a quick update:
I found when using my iPhone 6s+ with the remote, I have to turn off my wifi on my phone, otherwise I am constantly losing signal. If my phone wifi is on and connected to a network, I constantly receive disconnect and interference alerts. If I turn off my wifi and fly, I don't receive these. I have tried the same with my iPad that has an aircard and had the same results. Not sure if this is a bug, or if it just so happens to work for me. Maybe worth a shot to try it out, if you haven't already. Hope this helps someone to have a better flying experience.

So, a quick update:
I found when using my iPhone 6s+ with the remote, I have to turn off my wifi on my phone, otherwise I am constantly losing signal. If my phone wifi is on and connected to a network, I constantly receive disconnect and interference alerts. If I turn off my wifi and fly, I don't receive these. I have tried the same with my iPad that has an aircard and had the same results. Not sure if this is a bug, or if it just so happens to work for me. Maybe worth a shot to try it out, if you haven't already. Hope this helps someone to have a better flying experience.

I will have to try this, I'm using the same phone! I got mine back from Autel 9 day ago. Flying is not the issue right now, but horrific video signal loss has now been a problem. Just took it out 30 minutes ago...same issue.
I'm flying in the same places since day 1, now video signal will drop off after 200-300 feet away, or extreme choppy pixelated video.

I did the same, uninstall, reinstalled the app. Re-binded the craft.

I will have to try this, I'm using the same phone! I got mine back from Autel 9 day ago. Flying is not the issue right now, but horrific video signal loss has now been a problem. Just took it out 30 minutes ago...same issue.
I'm flying in the same places since day 1, now video signal will drop off after 200-300 feet away, or extreme choppy pixelated video.

I did the same, uninstall, reinstalled the app. Re-binded the craft.
Please let us know if this works for you. This was just something I found by dumb luck and has worked well for me, which is why I wanted to share it. Safe Flying

I've noticed that with the channels too. Whichever channel is selected automatically has the most noise, even if it had the lowest noise before being selected.
Like many other explanations in the User Manual, there is ambiguity. The implication is that the pilot can choose the channel w/ the least noise. But as the member indicated, the new channel becomes the noisiest. I wish I could recall what the service guy (Tim Mathews) told me about that, but I only asked in passing as we were dealing w/ another issue and moved on. Basically I believe the controller chooses the best channel and I leave it alone. Great service from the Autel people, but whom ever wrote that manual didn't test it on people like me. If so, it would have been X-times longer with way more info. In Autel's defense, I will say that even single, basic issues can take them awhile to unwind and they know what they are doing. I get the feeling that the User Manual authors really didn't want us doing too much to remedy a problem as it might create additional issues that they are not aware of. I have always been a For Dummies kind of guy and like many of us, like to try and solve my own problems. Wish there was an extensive manual out there like that. Anyone?

View attachment 294 View attachment 295 View attachment 296 View attachment 297 Well, took it out again and got disconnected along with GPS issues too. When selecting a new channel with low noise, the newly selected channel picks up residual noise. Don't know what to make of this. Also, the app keeps asking for permission.
I had the same problem, until I put the location service on hi accuracy, which is the setting that uses wifi hotspots, and cell towers, along with the GPS sats. I still get the weak video link messages before take off, but, I ignore them, and go. Usually no problem. I typically get 1/2, to 3/4 of a mile, before I run into controller disconnects. But, when out in the wide open, I can push past a mile, with no video, or controller drop outs. On the mysterious side... I was out over water today, standing right on the shore line... and had all kinds of video link drops. I WAS in the big city though. So... it does have a lot to do with your surroundings. Autel needs something like light-bridge. Starlink device here, is a Motorola (Lenovo) g4 plus. Octo core snapdragon 2 gig processor, 4 GB of RAM, and 64 GB internal memory. Works great.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barry.bain