Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

My initial complaints of the Evo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the first I‘ve heard about that! Where did you get that information? If you could provide a link I would greatly appreciate it.
First hand experience, and Autel themselves, while trying to get them to remove the onscreen dialog box warning, so I could see where I was flying, and compose my video, without a blocked FPV. Read the fine print about Autel geofencing. Autel geofencing already prevents EVO flights in China in any restricted areas, because China mandates it. The only reason flight is not yet prohibited in restricted areas in the United States by Autel is because the FAA has not yet mandated geofencing. Oddly, Autel also does not display the restricted areas on the map, so you can see and avoid them. You have to "discover" them on your own. Call Autel and ask them yourself. At least DJI displays restricted geofenced areas on the map, so you can avoid them, and with appropriate authorization, you can completely remove any onscreen warnings with a self-authorized unlock, or a custom unlock. I have yet to find an area I want to fly where a DJI unlock authorization cannot be obtained. I have no need to fly into NFZ's or during Presidential TFR's! Autel will not remove the continuous, onscreen geofencing nag message under any circumstances!

Reactions: parkgt
If you fly FPV and in a NFZ, then yes, you will get a big squared message in the middle of your screen. If you are flying normally, you will get a notification to the left of the screen, but it will not block your camera view (unless you are using a low resolution phone). What I have found out in my tests, that you only get this message if you are flying within the flight pattern of an airport or literally right next to the airport. If you step away from them, the message goes away. In other words, if you are getting the NFZ message, bring it down and go elsewhere.

If you fly FPV and in a NFZ, then yes, you will get a big squared message in the middle of your screen. If you are flying normally, you will get a notification to the left of the screen, but it will not block your camera view (unless you are using a low resolution phone). What I have found out in my tests, that you only get this message if you are flying within the flight pattern of an airport or literally right next to the airport. If you step away from them, the message goes away. In other words, if you are getting the NFZ message, bring it down and go elsewhere.
Thanks for confirming their existence and behavior. However, from my email exchanges with Autel, the hidden maps Autel is using are based upon a 5 mile radius around an airport, and use grid blocks that are 500m or so on a side. If any portion of the 5 mile radius circle touches any part of a grid block, that entire grid block is considered restricted by Autel, and generates the notification message on the left of the screen that continuously blocks the upper 20% of the FPV, at the very edges, where you need to be able to see, and compose. Switching to full screen view to remove all distractions also does not remove them.

Basically, geofencing is already there. It's just how Autel chooses to implement the notification that is currently different from DJI. Autel nags you about it constantly, and won't even let you see the geofenced areas on the map to avoid them. DJI lets you see them, and unlock them, and remove them from the screen completely. Note: Either manufacturer could choose, at any time, to lock them completely, should the FAA mandate doing so.

Thanks for confirming their existence and behavior. However, from my email exchanges with Autel, the hidden maps Autel is using are based upon a 5 mile radius around an airport, and use grid blocks that are 500m or so on a side. If any portion of the 5 mile radius circle touches any part of a grid block, that entire grid block is considered restricted by Autel, and generates the notification message on the left of the screen that continuously blocks the upper 20% of the FPV, at the very edges, where you need to be able to see, and compose. Switching to full screen view to remove all distractions also does not remove them.

Basically, geofencing is already there. It's just how Autel chooses to implement the notification that is currently different from DJI. Autel nags you about it constantly, and won't even let you see the geofenced areas on the map to avoid them. DJI lets you see them, and unlock them, and remove them from the screen completely. Note: Either manufacturer could choose, at any time, to lock them completely, should the FAA mandate doing so.

I live just within a 5 mile radius of an F15 National Guard Base and Regional Airport. I’ve had no problems unlocking my DJI drones but it has been a PITA at times. I’m looking forward to seeing first hand how the EVO responds.

What’s your hardware setup for FPV with the Evo?

I don't know about that 5 mile radius Autel told you about, but I fly my Evo within a 5 mile radius between 2 airports.
Screenshot_20200301-232051_AirMap.jpg

I have never gotten the message while flying within the legal regulations. I have only gotten the message twice. Once when I reached 153' in a 150' ceiling and the other time was when I turn my Evo on to check some settings, about a Km from the airport, but within the landing pattern of airplanes.

Reactions: Paulf10
I live just within a 5 mile radius of an F15 National Guard Base and Regional Airport. I’ve had no problems unlocking my DJI drones but it has been a PITA at times. I’m looking forward to seeing first hand how the EVO responds.
Have you requested a Custom Unlock from DJI? They are good for a full year. Email [email protected] for assistance with either a radius or polygon unlock area that does not overlap any NFZ's.

I don't know about that 5 mile radius Autel told you about, but I fly my Evo within a 5 mile radius between 2 airports.
View attachment 6396

I have never gotten the message while flying within the legal regulations. I have only gotten the message twice. Once when I reached 153' in a 150' ceiling and the other time was when I turn my Evo on to check some settings, about a Km from the airport, but within the landing pattern of airplanes.
Autel not only confirmed the radius, but, when I questioned the unremovable warning messages, they sent me the map of the area upon which they based the restrictions. For comparison, in the same area, DJI has no GEO restrictions, whatsoever. Autel's map in your area may be different than in my area, but Autel not only confirmed it, but defended it, saying it was accurate. Obviously, that has been the biggest issue with GEO: restrictions that no longer make sense, which DJI has been very responsive to improving. Autel shows no such interest, "...since we do not limit your ability to fly."

Autel not only confirmed the radius, but, when I questioned the unremovable warning messages, they sent me the map of the area upon which they based the restrictions. For comparison, in the same area, DJI has no GEO restrictions, whatsoever. Autel's map in your area may be different than in my area, but Autel not only confirmed it, but defended it, saying it was accurate. Obviously, that has been the biggest issue with GEO: restrictions that no longer make sense, which DJI has been very responsive to improving. Autel shows no such interest, "...since we do not limit your ability to fly."
Can you provide this map? I'm curious to see and compare it to FAA charts. DJI has nothing to do here.

Can you provide this map? I'm curious to see and compare it to FAA charts. DJI has nothing to do here.
You'll need to email Autel, to get the hidden grid map they are using for your area.

The only reason for mentioning DJI is that everyone thinks DJI's GEO won't let you fly. Autel is supposed to be free of all geofencing. In this case, it is Autel that is the one whose geofencing is causing the problem. There are no GEO restrictions in the same area!

You'll need to email Autel, to get the hidden grid map they are using for your area.

The only reason for mentioning DJI is that everyone thinks DJI's GEO won't let you fly. Autel is supposed to be free of all geofencing. In this case, it is Autel that is the one whose geofencing is causing the problem. There are no GEO restrictions in the same area!
If you already got yours, why not share it with the rest of us, so we can see. Like I said before, I fly within 2 airports in less than 5 miles from them and I have to be smelling jet fuel fumes to even get that message. I highly doubt you will get the message if you are flying within FAA regulations, since most likely Autel's Geofencing is based on it.

If you already got yours, why not share it with the rest of us, so we can see. Like I said before, I fly within 2 airports in less than 5 miles from them and I have to be smelling jet fuel fumes to even get that message. I highly doubt you will get the message if you are flying within FAA regulations, since most likely Autel's Geofencing is based on it.
The only one relevant to you is the one in your area. Mine is irrelevant to your doubts and suppositions. You'll have to take my word on mine. To your doubts, wouldn't you also assume that DJI's GEO is based upon flying within FAA regulations? DJI's GEO has no restrictions whatsoever in the same area that Autel has listed as Restricted Airspace. I encourage everyone to email Autel and get your own Autel Geofencing hidden grid map in your area, and see for yourself.

Last edited:
I’m as happy as a clam with my Evo. Brilliant bird for the price. And no complaints aapart from the bloody gimbal cover.

Reactions: Paulf10 and butch
The only one relevant to you is the one in your area. Mine is irrelevant to your doubts and suppositions. You'll have to take my word on mine. To your doubts, wouldn't you also assume that DJI's GEO is based upon flying within FAA regulations? DJI's GEO has no restrictions whatsoever in the same area that Autel has listed as Restricted Airspace. I encourage everyone to email Autel and get your own Autel Geofencing hidden grid map in your area, and see for yourself.
I wanted to know where exacly you were flying and compare charts. I can tell you I don't get warning when flying within FAA regulations. As for DJI, it does not follow FAA rules. It was designed to be a happy medium between all airspace regulations throughout the world. Those who fly DJI thinking that if their drone allows it, it's legal, are for a rude awakening.

I wanted to know where exacly you were flying and compare charts. I can tell you I don't get warning when flying within FAA regulations. As for DJI, it does not follow FAA rules. It was designed to be a happy medium between all airspace regulations throughout the world. Those who fly DJI thinking that if their drone allows it, it's legal, are for a rude awakening.
I suggest you look at exactly where you are flying and compare charts with a copy of the local Autel geofencing map overlay received, after requesting it from Autel. I assure you that the FAA rules in my area are properly reflected in GEO, with additional restrictions on top of that. Everyone who thinks that Autel has no geofencing is in for a rude awakening, too! Best to see and know the map Autel is hiding from you, so that when they flip the switch, you'll know where you won't be able to fly!

I suggest you look at exactly where you are flying and compare charts with a copy of the local Autel geofencing map overlay received, after requesting it from Autel. I assure you that the FAA rules in my area are properly reflected in GEO, with additional restrictions on top of that. Everyone who thinks that Autel has no geofencing is in for a rude awakening, too! Best to see and know the map Autel is hiding from you, so that when they flip the switch, you'll know where you won't be able to fly!
I don't need to. I just use the FAA's map. I am not getting this warning you keep complaining. The fact that you refuse to show us your map, makes me think you are hiding something. All, every US pilot has to do is follow FAA regulations. Not DJI's, not Yuneec's, not Autel's and they will be fine and will not get the NFZ warning on their screen. You are the only person who is complaining that you are flying within FAA and still getting the NFZ warning.

I know Autel has some pretty strict rules when comes to military bases so this might be one of his problems as the number of airports, military bases and heliports at hospitals in San Diego are very high.

I don't need to. I just use the FAA's map. I am not getting this warning you keep complaining. The fact that you refuse to show us your map, makes me think you are hiding something. All, every US pilot has to do is follow FAA regulations. Not DJI's, not Yuneec's, not Autel's and they will be fine and will not get the NFZ warning on their screen. You are the only person who is complaining that you are flying within FAA and still getting the NFZ warning.
There appears to be some misunderstanding. I have not seen the Autel NFZ warning that blocks the screen, that you referred to. I have frequently been continuously warned about Altitude restrictions that I cannot dismiss that appear in the upper left corner of the screen. There is no need for me to show you the hidden Autel map in my area just to satisfy your curiosity. Why don't you also post your home address to satisfy my curiosity so we know you aren't hiding anything! :rolleyes: The only relevant Autel map for the EVO is the hidden internal Autel map in each pilot's flight area. That hidden map is the one that produces the unremovable onscreen EVO warnings. Compliance with FAA regulations is a given, and does not guarantee that the EVO won't produce an onscreen warning that cannot be removed. The Autel internal maps are not perfect, and have flaws, just like DJI GEO maps.

The important takeaway here is that Autel has both NFZ's and Altitude Restrictions already built in, that do affect your ability to fly by blocking your FPV screen, even if they will still let you fly with this crippled FPV. On the other hand, DJI 's GEO zones can potentially be unlocked completely, so that your FPV remains clear and unobstructed. Pick your poison, but both are already geofenced!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marwan