Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Remote won't connect to drone

luxemdrone

Reaction score
Hi forum!

I recently bough an Autel EVO II 8k, took a while to setup with all the firmware updates etc but then I had my first 3 flights - no real problems - except for the last flight when the phone and the remote lost contact (but I just used the screen on the controller and it went fine).

Today I wanted to take off, but the controller just kept saying "Connecting" for several minutes until I turn it off

Nothing changed since the last flight
  • no firmware update or similar when I started the drone
  • everything 100% charged
  • same cable
  • same SD-card
  • only different location

Pressing the remote pair button on the drone
  • it doesn't turn green (I have tried pressing, holding longer, pressing multiple times in a row - nothing)

When the drone starts
  • front lights are solid red,
  • back lights are yellow and flashing
  • the app says remote and aircraft are disconnected - I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app - nothing changes.

I watched a few videos about the manual firmware update so I did that, firmware V1 downloaded from here, I put it on the SD-card - booted up the drone for a while, but the file is there when I leave the drone for a while and then turn it off.

This is my first Autel and I have to say I was so impressed by the quality of photos and video - I hope this is easy to fix.

Please tell me I'm not alone and that there is a painless solution?

Pressing the remote pair button on the drone
  • it doesn't turn green (I have tried pressing, holding longer, pressing multiple times in a row - nothing)
When you press the binding button on the drone, it changes from a slow blink to a rapid blink (both green).

watched a few videos about the manual firmware update so I did that, firmware V1 downloaded from here, I put it on the SD-card - booted up the drone for a while, but the file is there when I leave the drone for a while and then turn it off.

When the drone was working fine and then lost bind for some reason, installing new firmware on the craft is not the right thing to do. You have possibly made the problem worse.

What drone and what exact fw did you try and flash?

First, I would give the binding routine another try. No matter what, the bind button should flash quickly when you click on the button. Start there.

When you press the binding button on the drone, it changes from a slow blink to a rapid blink (both green).

When the drone was working fine and then lost bind for some reason, installing new firmware on the craft is not the right thing to do. You have possibly made the problem worse.

What drone and what exact fw did you try and flash?

First, I would give the binding routine another try. No matter what, the bind button should flash quickly when you click on the button. Start there.
Hi Dave,

Correct me if I'm wrong here, the .bin-file would have been deleted if the update went OK from the SD card?

I used this version:
EVO II V1: V2.7.25 Jul-01-2021

When I press the bind button nothing flashes or blinks (it did in the past).
I've tried holding the button while booting up, pressing it rapidly, holding - doesn't go green.

Any ideas based on this?

Correct me if I'm wrong here, the .bin-file would have been deleted if the update went OK from the SD card?
I can only go by what occurs on the E2v.2, but yes, typically, the .bin is replaced by an upgrade.txt log file and upon reboot you'll get the creation of the normal folder structure for images. So, if the .bin is still on the card without the other folders, then it probably did not install the update. However, it may have started the process and didn't finish.

There is something wrong on the craft side then, either software or hardware (obviously). And to be clear. The button itself lights and blinks, not the arm LEDs.

Last edited:
Hi Dave,

I used this version:
EVO II V1: V2.7.25 Jul-01-2021

I've tried holding the button while booting up, pressing it rapidly, holding - doesn't go green.

Any ideas based on this?
Are you putting the RC in bind as well? With the RC off hold down power and home buttons. It will boot and then show binding . Now hit the bind button on the craft.

If you can’t get bind back please call support after 9am PST

Are you putting the RC in bind as well? With the RC off hold down power and home buttons. It will boot and then show binding . Now hit the bind button on the craft.

If you can’t get bind back please call support after 9am PST
Hi there!

Yes I tried that as well, no difference.
Somehow the problem is that the drone won't go into bind mode, I have made a video and will share it with the Autel-support which reached out to me.

Hope they have some good ideas.

I can only go by what occurs on the E2v.2, but yes, typically, the .bin is replaced by an upgrade.txt log file and upon reboot you'll get the creation of the normal folder structure for images. So, if the .bin is still on the card without the other folders, then it probably did not install the update. However, it may have started the process and didn't finish.

There is something wrong on the craft side then, either software or hardware (obviously). And to be clear. The button itself lights and blinks, not the arm LEDs.
I know what you mean for the binding, I mean the button as well - the worked perfectly when I first got the drone and had went through the binding with my remote.

I have reached out to Autel-support who have asked me to record a video, hope that they have some ideas.

I know what you mean for the binding, I mean the button as well - the worked perfectly when I first got the drone and had went through the binding with my remote.

I have reached out to Autel-support who have asked me to record a video, hope that they have some ideas.
By chance do you have the RC powered via usb?

No I do not, here is a video that can describe what I see etc:
IMG_0955.MP4
Thank you! If I am seeing the video correctly you don't have a green led on bind? If that's the case there's two things it could be led is dead or the entire radio on the craft is dead. What I did notice is you never put the radio in bind mode. You must boot the radio by pressing the power button and home at the same time, you will see matching on the RC display.

Thank you! If I am seeing the video correctly you don't have a green led on bind? If that's the case there's two things it could be led is dead or the entire radio on the craft is dead. What I did notice is you never put the radio in bind mode. You must boot the radio by pressing the power button and home at the same time, you will see matching on the RC display.
Hi, correct I'm not starting it in bind mode (I have done - changes nothing).

I suspect it's the radio on the aircraft, but only a few days before that I flew, no crashes or anything...

Did you sort it, why are you having to bind it anyway, once done unless you change the controller you shouldn't ever need to bind again after the first time... ?

Cheers

Hi!

Thanks for the interest and follow up!

I had the pleasure of working with the Autel-support - they arranged for a shipment, I sent it to them, they replaced a part - after that it worked - only done one flight since then.

It was a very good experience I have to say, very painless and responsive.

Did you sort it, why are you having to bind it anyway, once done unless you change the controller you shouldn't ever need to bind again after the first time... ?

Cheers

Reactions: Blade Strike
I am having the same issue with the Evo II V2 after a failed update attempt. The remote and the aircraft are not connecting and I have tried to match them and nothing. Any guess as to what to try next?

I am having the same issue with the Evo II V2 after a failed update attempt. The remote and the aircraft are not connecting and I have tried to match them and nothing. Any guess as to what to try next?
The problem is caused by trying to install the firmware via SD card that is Smart Controller specific while using a craft that is actually connected to a standard RC controller.
Is that what happened in your case?

The problem is caused by trying to install the firmware via SD card that is Smart Controller specific while using a craft that is actually connected to a standard RC controller.
Is that what happened in your case?
I was updating over Wi-Fi not so card.

I am guessing it didn’t complete all the way through. I had 7 updating at the same time all successfully except this one. RC does come on and displays connecting. No camera view or connection with rc. V2
Go through the bond process and nothing happens.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmanvm