Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Autel owners anyone have a opinion on Autel Vs Dji?

H8Dji

Reaction score
I have not had any luck dealing with Dji on a major issue with one of there drone and am seriously looking at alternate drones, Autel looks like it might be tha answer, so my question is anyone here own both Autel and Dji drones? How do they compare? Flight, stability, reliability, Photo/video quality? Any issues like Dji’s Firmware killing video downlinks? It looks like they don’t make the X-Star anymore but are about to release a Evo that looks similar to my Mavic Pro Platinums. I also have. Phantom 3 Pro, and a couple others that are not even close to the quality of Dji. Also if I decide to abandon Dji altogether where can I get a X-Star to replace my Phantom as my Primary AC?

The Admin of this forum owns both, he prefers DJI over Autel but hopes Autel gets their *** together so he has something else to talk about LOL

Reactions: H8Dji
The Admin of this forum owns both, he prefers DJI over Autel but hopes Autel gets their *** together so he has something else to talk about LOL
Thanks I may have the same opinion soon Dji has not treated me well there Drones are great but the company itself I can’t find very many kind words for them right now and it would be off topic.

I have not had any luck dealing with Dji on a major issue with one of there drone and am seriously looking at alternate drones, Autel looks like it might be tha answer, so my question is anyone here own both Autel and Dji drones? How do they compare? Flight, stability, reliability, Photo/video quality? Any issues like Dji’s Firmware killing video downlinks? It looks like they don’t make the X-Star anymore but are about to release a Evo that looks similar to my Mavic Pro Platinums. I also have. Phantom 3 Pro, and a couple others that are not even close to the quality of Dji. Also if I decide to abandon Dji altogether where can I get a X-Star to replace my Phantom as my Primary AC?
Autel Robotics made the X-Star Premium very close to if not better quality and features than the Phantom 3 Pro. I own both the XSP and a DJI Mavic Pro and overall, I get less of a headache from the Autel. The only reason I got the Mavic was for the portability. I expect the Evo to far surpass the Mavic in both quality and features. Evo's camera is 4K 60 FPS 100 MBPS vs the mavic's 4K 30 FPS 60 MBPS.

DJI Go 4 app is a nightmare on android, while the Autel Starlink app worked flawlessly for me. I assume the Xplorer app will function similarly. Also, the Xplorer app will have VR Goggle support for your phone, while with DJI you have to buy $300 proprietary goggles.

Also, I have dealt with Autel support multiple times and got my problems solved immediately. They do have the best customer support on the planet.

I would suggest you get the Evo when it comes out vs the Mavic.

Reactions: H8Dji
Autel Robotics made the X-Star Premium very close to if not better quality and features than the Phantom 3 Pro. I own both the XSP and a DJI Mavic Pro and overall, I get less of a headache from the Autel. The only reason I got the Mavic was for the portability. I expect the Evo to far surpass the Mavic in both quality and features. Evo's camera is 4K 60 FPS 100 MBPS vs the mavic's 4K 30 FPS 60 MBPS.

DJI Go 4 app is a nightmare on android, while the Autel Starlink app worked flawlessly for me. I assume the Xplorer app will function similarly. Also, the Xplorer app will have VR Goggle support for your phone, while with DJI you have to buy $300 proprietary goggles.

Also, I have dealt with Autel support multiple times and got my problems solved immediately. They do have the best customer support on the planet.

I would suggest you get the Evo when it comes out vs the Mavic.
It’s definitely looking like I’m going to switch I may sell all my Dji hardware soon! Depending on how my battle with Dji ends over the damage their firmware did to my Phantom, If I have to pay to fix the phantom I’m done with Dji and selling everything I will let someone else who has more patience deal with them.

I own both and the XSP blows away my Phantom 3. Last time the P3 was used was back at Christmas time when my grandson was here. Has sat in its case ever since. My XSP is used near daily...because it is that much better of a drone.

I own both and the XSP blows away my Phantom 3. Last time the P3 was used was back at Christmas time when my grandson was here. Has sat in its case ever since. My XSP is used near daily...because it is that much better of a drone.
Thank you I’m now torn as to if I should get rid of my Mavic Pro Platinum now before the mavic 2 or Evo comes out? The prices may drop a lot when that happens.

To make a long story short:
I have a friend.
He HAD a Phantom. It was hovering about 100 feet from him, and it suddenly decided to fly away (far away - he never found it.). DJI didn't do anything for him.
So, He got a Mavic Air. One of the motors literally flew apart on it and it crashed. DJI didn't do anything for him (again) because 'it was crashed' (even though the crash was not the pilots' fault)..
So, he purchased ANOTHER Mavic Air. It was DOA when he received it. He contacted DJI and they said it wasn't covered under warranty because he lives in Canada.
Now he said 'he's going to wait until THEY (DJI) come out with a better model.'
I don't get it!
(I guess that some people have more money than brains).

Last edited:
To make a long story short:
I have a friend.
He HAD a Phantom. It was hovering about 100 feet from him, and it suddenly decided to fly away. DJI didn't do anything for him.
So, He got a Mavic Air. One of the motors literally flew apart on it and it crashed. DJI didn't do anything for him (again) because it was crashed.
So, he purchased ANOTHER Mavic Air. It was DOA when he received it. He contacted DJI and they said it wasn't covered under warranty because he lives in Canada.
Now he said 'he's going to wait until THEY (DJI) come out with a better model.'
I don't get it!
(I guess that some people have more money than brains).
Lol I have 2 a Phantom 3 (got used) Pro and a Mavic Professional Platinum (purchased new) the mavic seems to be holding its own but after the issue with the phantom I don’t think I’m willing to give Dji any more chances I wish I had money to invest in Autel! Dji really needs a wake up call! I think Autel can give them one if they ever climb to the top! I have my fingers crossed that the Evo becomes a Mavic killer and it makes it to market first.

I have a feeling that the wait for the EVO is going to be worth it. As fast as technology, and features evolve in the electronics industry, it must be a huge challenge for any manufacturer to develop, and then produce a product that will be superior to it's competition when it is released. I would imagine that the EVO is getting plenty of last-minute tweaking. If so, we'll all benefit from it.

Having both the P4P, P2, and the XSP, I will give my 2cents. The P4P beats the XSP all around...stability in air, picture quality, and 3rd party apps...it is my go to work drone for 3d modeling and such...as long as all the firmware (imu, controller, battery), app updates, and IOS stay in sync and talk to each other. I have isolated my Autel to the Android -Starlink firmware (July 2017) and dont update anything. When the DJI pesters me for an update when Im on a site, I know if I update one thing, something else in the chain breaks...so I ditch the DJI and unpack the XSP and fly manually.
I am also having fun flying my ebay P2 ..no camera yet, no firmware updates, just gps and one 25minute battery for $100....I let our new Part 107 graduates at work fly the P2 for "stick practice"...Im looking forward to using it for fishing (casting) a lure 300 ft out in the lake and reeling it in....something I would not try with an expensive drone...
Ive had great Autel CS, except when I bugged them repeatedly about the XSP SDK release and they would pass me off to a higher up who would say "soon, working on finishing touches", or ignore me completely. So, I would say a P4P beats the XSP, which beats the P3P...I expect the same for the Mavics as they come out...Mavic Pro II will likely beat Evo, which will likely beat Mavic Pro.....My buying question is whether to get an EVO at $999 or the Mavic Air FMC for the same price.. I think the one with the most 3rd party apps/support will get my cash, neither has released an SDK.....and I will wait at least 3 months after release, and do due diligence by reading forums on the products.....

I am looking forward to a pocket drone this summer...my Hubsan 501a is not cutting it (too shaky-no gimbal).
But Im not sold on Autel or DJI or GDU or Yuneec or Walkera or Wingland just yet. I am getting a Tello for my nephew now that DJI is accepting orders.

Reactions: LuvMyTJ
Arto: Sounds like you should look at Intel. However, one will cost much more than $1000 :)

i just did...sort of...walmart is clearing out yuneec breeze 4k at $150..My local store had one in stock. I got the 2 years protection that covers crashes and water damage for $12....I could not resist...I viewed a couple of youtube videoes and folks were generally happy....Im hopping over to the Yuneec forum to see what kind of crap I just bought...it will be a trainer model for my newbie pilots if I dont like it...im not willing to give my autel up as a trainer yet....

i just did...sort of...walmart is clearing out yuneec breeze 4k at $150..My local store had one in stock. I got the 2 years protection that covers crashes and water damage for $12....I could not resist...I viewed a couple of youtube videoes and folks were generally happy....Im hopping over to the Yuneec forum to see what kind of crap I just bought...it will be a trainer model for my newbie pilots if I dont like it...im not willing to give my autel up as a trainer yet....

LOL
Don't expect much from it :)

Reactions: Squirrel!
I have an XSP and a P4....bottom line for me is the P4 wins hands down for flight stability so it's my go to machine for paid jobs.....Autel hasn't been able to match DJI's firmware capability when it comes to making products for professional use. On the other hand, the XSP build quality is head and shoulders above the DJI stuff..Autel equipment looks and feels industrial, DJI stuff looks and feels disposable and in fact is! If Autel could correct their fw issues the choice would be easy.

Good entry level unit to train with. I have 2 that I use exactly for that. I hold free "learn to fly" sessions and they are easy to attain solo flight with quickly. After they achieve proficiency with the Breeze, I break out the XSP in training mode and finally go solo.

Tip - they sit low to the ground and the props are pretty thin. Departing/landing in grass can take a toll on the blades.

As for personal use, once you go orange.......

Thanks for the Breeze tip...its been too cold and windy to try it out yet....but I like your suggestion of practice on the Breeze then graduate the wannabees to the XSP.
One major bummer is the pictures do not have EXIF info on the Breeze as far as I can tell...so a program like GeoSetter Download wont work...
I will be able to twirl this thing around at altitude and take 4k pictures. I wonder if PanoStudioPro (thanks Agustine) can work without EXIF? No big loss if I cant, I only paid $150 for this.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaksunDr