Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Battery Drop - Am I Jinxing myself?

The 1st battery has been replaced by the 4th battery which was replaced by the 5th battery. ;)

And the 5th battery, being charged only 4 times, is already at a 95% life level...I'm concerned with #2 & #3 as well...91% life left and only charged a dozen times or so. o_O:confused::eek::(

Welcome to the world of Autels batteries! Great drone, worthless batteries which will cause a crashed or missing drone one day. I can't even fly any distance fearing my battery will drop along with my bird. I'm BUMMED OUT!!

What "distance" do you desire to go? Even with this, I can do everything I bought the drone for, easily.

I fly out no more than 1600', the 3 times i had battery drops, i was out about 800' & 400 agl over very rugged terrain in the mountains trying to get the best shots. When that happens from 35 % to 6% doesn't leave much time to make it back & land safely, luckily i made it back all 3 times with less than 2% left. If it goes down where i fly, chances are i won't get it back!

Reactions: Squirrel!
Right. I bought mine for line of sight missions only. Only reason I wanted a bird that will go 1.2 miles is because I wanted the stronger radio so I would have the least amount of possible interference - LOS doesn't really guarantee anything so I want all the redundancy I can have. ;)

At some point Autel will start refusing to replace batteries. A year from now I don't see them readily doing warranty replacements of batteries.

I'm 10 months into my purchase and have had 3 replaced. I have 2 now that would qualify for replacement.

Are they willing to continue to give me 5 batteries per year indefinitely?

Reactions: Squirrel!
Agustine, I had one drop at 52% to 6%, one drop at 36% to 5% & one drop at 32% to 5%, all 3 were replaced by Autel over the course of the last 5 months, still worries the **** out of me when i fly though!!!

Agustine, I had one drop at 52% to 6%, one drop at 36% to 5% & one drop at 32% to 5%, all 3 were replaced by Autel over the course of the last 5 months, still worries the **** out of me when i fly though!!!

Your one battery that dropped at 52% kind of throws my theory out the window. :)
I have been watching here and on facebook for these battery drop issues and from what I can tell most happen between 40% - 30%.
Most common thing people say that causes this is flying without a fully charged battery. Well for the last two days I have been using my #1 battery, the one that I had the critical drop. Flew three times this morning in the backyard to see if I could get it to drop at different levels of charge. The only thing that happened was I got cold 0100nono11.gif

I would like to get a few log files on the flight from the X-Star from people to see if the telemetry actually shows a drop.
I looked at all my logs from the month of March when I had my drop and could not see any critical drop in the files.

Reactions: HiloHawaiian
These are my 2 DJI batteries that are both 1.5+ years old. I have charged & flown them the same as I charge and fly the XSP.

Never a drop, no abnormal levels...very consistent.

..Bat #1 (original came with P3S).JPG .Bat #3 bought from Buydig.com.JPG

According to my log sent to Autel, which you are welcome to see, my battery went from 26% to 8% to 3% in 20-30 seconds. I did get the normal low battery warning, and decided to come right home since the terrain was so perilous. I had no chance...

According to my log sent to Autel, which you are welcome to see, my battery went from 26% to 8% to 3% in 20-30 seconds. I did get the normal low battery warning, and decided to come right home since the terrain was so perilous. I had no chance...

Are those the starlink logs or the X-Star logs? I would need the log from that date from inside your X-Star but I think your x-star went for a swim so that is out.

How to pull the logs from the X-Star
  • Connect microUSB->USB cable to jack in the front of your X-Star and place near your PC
  • Power up RC, App then X-Star.
  • go to Flight Control Settings > Advanced Settings
    • Android-> Click on "Read" next to Read Flight Data
    • IOS->Click on "Enter" next to Flight Data Recorder
  • Connect the USB cable to your PC
  • Copy the files to another drive.
  • Unmount the X-Star from the computer
  • Disconnect the X-Star and power it down.

Last edited:
Don't let that 52% to 6% blow your theory out the window, that battery only had 3500 mah fully charged, it was shot!

I didn’t know that, ty! A friend is thinking about repelling down to try and find my XSP. He enjoys challenges, wants me to video the rescue attempt from my XSP. It’s dangerous, but I told him if it’s not drowned, he could have it since Autel is replacing it. If he does find it, I’ll try to get the logs off it...

Has anyone tried just putting together the right number of cells to build their own 'dumb' battery?

Reactions: KentA
I have tossed this idea around a few times about making my own battery out of the parts from the stock battery case. Old Bama Dude had a dead stock battery that he opened. If you are careful not to short anything out the hard case comes apart fairly easy.
https://autelxpilots.com/threads/tuff-bird.787/#post-6108

What I would like to try is remove the battery part from the case by desoldering the wires to the smart circuit. I would then add one of these high output lipo batteries.
Multistar High Capacity 5200mAh 4S 10C Multi-Rotor Lipo Pack
They are High Capacity Multi-Rotor battery packs. They will give longer flight times for sure. The one problem would be adding external connectors so you can use a aftermarket charger as I don't think the stock charger will charge it and if it did it would not charge it to full capacity.
I have seen this done on P3 batteries but the company that did the conversion is not around anymore.

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1461011770.288284.jpg

Reactions: Squirrel! and KentA

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hunterc222