Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Don’t upgrade to iOS 11.2 it’s incompatible with the StarLink App!

HiloHawaiian

Reaction score
Autel just informed me iOS 11.2 has an issue with the App, DON’T UPGRADE if you’ve not done so! I did just finished downgrading to iOS 11.1.2 and all is well again.

Last edited:
Wow they are so slow to update it is unreal:

Hongfei ARto OFFICIAL Autel Robotics Owners
6 mins ·
Hello XSP iOS users,
Apple started to push the iOS 11.2 update a few days ago. We are aware of the iOS StarLink for XSP has the new camera status display issue that all camera related buttons are greyed out after installing the iOS 11.2 update. Some settings are missing as well. This bug has been reported early this week and our engineering team has been working on the patch. My suggestion is to stay away from the iOS 11.2 update for now or use other devices. We will give you update once the patch is ready! Thanks for your support and stay tuned!
1f642.png

Yea................. I have two XSP’s. Both stopped working. That was the clue I missed — both. I tried everything, incredibly frustrating. Autel was silent, clearly stumped. That night, I watched an old Sherlock Holmes movie. Something he said inspired me to find the common thread. I figured it out an hour before Autel sent me the email saying iOS 11.2 is my problem...

Last edited:
I notified Autel tech support in early November about this issue. They said they would be looking into it.

Autel seemed completely flummoxed while dealing with me. My last email from them, dated 12/6/17, after I already figured it out:
Thank you for contacting Autel Robotics support. What iOS version do you have? the latest 11.2 iOS has just today been found to be having difficulties with the Star-Link app. This could potentially have something to do with it. We are working now to fix the issue.”

Sounds like it's more of an iOS (Apple) problem to me. It is the responsibility of an OS developer to make sure that a new version of their OS will work with programs and Aps that were developed for earlier versions of their OS. You can surely bet that if one Ap doesn't work with a new OS, that there are many others that won't work as well. Perhaps the pressure should be placed on the OS developer, rather than on another company who depends (and trusts) that an OS won't make their software obsolete overnight.

Last edited:
Sounds like it's more of an iOS (Apple) problem to me. It is the responsibility of an OS developer to make sure that a new version of their OS will work with programs and Aps that were developed for earlier versions of their OS. You can surely bet that if one Ap doesn't work with a new OS, that there are many others that won't work as well. Perhaps the pressure should be placed on the OS developer, rather than on another company who depends (and trusts) that an OS won't make their software obsolete overnight.
I honestly dont think it works that way. With millions of apps out there, Apple or any other OS developer cannot check out all those apps for compatibility. What they usually do is publish changelogs to their app developers, notifying them of the changes made to succeeding updates. I notified Autel in early November of the problems between Starlink and iOS 11.2 beta. That is a fact, and I have the tickets to show it. Autel had a month to work out the bugs.

Scubadoc, Before you deny Apple's responsibility to turn out a bug-free OS, you might take a look at the following.

Apple iOS 11.2 Is Causing Serious Problems

It's unfair to ask Autel, or anyone, to modify their program/app so that it will work with an OS that has been documented to have flaws (and significant flaws at that.)

Another article: https://www.appleglory.com/face-id-problems-on-ios-11-2-fix/

And, yet another bug in iOS 11.2: Apple fixes HomeKit bug that allowed remote unlocking of users' doors

Last edited:
Scubadoc, Before you deny Apple's responsibility to turn out a bug-free OS, you might take a look at the following.

Apple iOS 11.2 Is Causing Serious Problems

It's unfair to ask Autel, or anyone, to modify their program/app so that it will work with an OS that has been documented to have flaws (and significant flaws at that.)

Another article: https://www.appleglory.com/face-id-problems-on-ios-11-2-fix/

And, yet another bug in iOS 11.2: Apple fixes HomeKit bug that allowed remote unlocking of users' doors

Im well aware of the issues that Apple has been having with the release of their latest ios. I'm also aware that Autel knew of the incompatibility over a month ago, after I notified them, not several days ago, as they stated. A warning not to update could have been issued back then and saved both the end user and Autel time and frustration.

You can't blame Autel for not trying. They no sooner put out the iOS Beta app 2.0.5 (Sept. 26th) to cover the problems with iOS 11 and Apple sends out another garbage beta fix and than another soon after. At this point I am sure Autel just said lets wait till Apple gets their act together and then we will fix the App.

You can't blame Autel for not trying. They no sooner put out the iOS Beta app 2.0.5 (Sept. 26th) to cover the problems with iOS 11 and Apple sends out another garbage beta fix and than another soon after. At this point I am sure Autel just said lets wait till Apple gets their act together and then we will fix the App.

You are missing my point. How many Xstar owners dowloaded the 11.2 Apple iOS, and all of a sudden couldnt reliably fly. When they contacted Autel they were told to send back their drone for inspection. They sent out RMAs, and prepaid shipping labels, and bench tested the drones. This cost Autel money. This could have been avoided with earlier testing of the beta release. I am not saying they should have fixed Starlink at that time, but if earlier testing showed incompatibility, they could have sent out a earlier notice via social media the way they did several days ago. I'm not debating you about Apple's mistakes, just stating how Autel could have responded, since they knew in early November that their Starlink app and 11.2 were incompatible.

I'm not missing your point at all. Just because you sent in your review of the beta App 2.0.5 does not mean more end users did also. They are not going to make any changes when they only get a few compliants, thats just the way it works. You want to blame someone then blame the end user for not following the directions on downloading the beta App.

"Hello X-Star iOS users,
We are working to release a new iOS Starlink App V2.0.5. What's new:
1. Fixed the StarLink compatibility issue in iOS 11.
If you experienced StarLink crash issue in iOS 11 and would like to try (or beta test) the app prior to the official release, please send an email to [email protected] with the subject line "iOS Beta app 2.0.5: YOUR EMAIL" Please use the email that you registered as Apple ID, and we'll send you instructions on how to access the App.
Disclaimer - Please note that this is a beta version of iOS Starlink App which is still undergoing final testing before its official release. Any downloading or using the app is done at the user’s own will and risk and the user will be solely responsible for any issues that result from such activities.
Should you encounter any bugs, glitches, lack of functionality or other problems with the app, please let us know immediately by sending an email to [email protected] and provide a detailed description of the issues and the model of the mobile device you are using. Your help in this regard is greatly appreciated

Reactions: HiloHawaiian
I honestly dont think it works that way. With millions of apps out there, Apple or any other OS developer cannot check out all those apps for compatibility. What they usually do is publish changelogs to their app developers, notifying them of the changes made to succeeding updates. I notified Autel in early November of the problems between Starlink and iOS 11.2 beta. That is a fact, and I have the tickets to show it. Autel had a month to work out the bugs.
You took the words outta my mouth. If Apple had to check each App for compatibility, an iOS update would appear once a decade....maybe...

I'm not missing your point at all. Just because you sent in your review of the beta App 2.0.5 does not mean more end users did also. They are not going to make any changes when they only get a few compliants, thats just the way it works. You want to blame someone then blame the end user for not following the directions on downloading the beta App.

"Hello X-Star iOS users,
We are working to release a new iOS Starlink App V2.0.5. What's new:
1. Fixed the StarLink compatibility issue in iOS 11.
If you experienced StarLink crash issue in iOS 11 and would like to try (or beta test) the app prior to the official release, please send an email to [email protected] with the subject line "iOS Beta app 2.0.5: YOUR EMAIL" Please use the email that you registered as Apple ID, and we'll send you instructions on how to access the App.
Disclaimer - Please note that this is a beta version of iOS Starlink App which is still undergoing final testing before its official release. Any downloading or using the app is done at the user’s own will and risk and the user will be solely responsible for any issues that result from such activities.
Should you encounter any bugs, glitches, lack of functionality or other problems with the app, please let us know immediately by sending an email to [email protected] and provide a detailed description of the issues and the model of the mobile device you are using. Your help in this regard is greatly appreciated
Amen

The Starlink ap was working just fine - until Apple changed the iOS.
No matter what the operating system is, the developer of the operating system establishes parameters which must be met - in order for an ap/program to operate correctly with their O.S. In fact, Starlink, and other ap's did meet the parameters that Apple HAD previously set.

Apple is now big enough that they feel that they can get away with such failures, and that many of their users will support them, rather than support the other manufacturers who depend and TRUST on a non-flawed product (from Apple) that will be backwards-compatible with their previous O.S's.

Last edited:
Respectfully, software development, especially operating system development, can’t be compared to the development of durable goods, like a car. It’s vastly more complex, requiring millions of lines of code. The most unreliable area of new cars is S/W-related, usually the infotainment system. It was a nightmare for Ford, they fired Microsoft.

Microsoft has had many issues with Windows updates. Apple? The last Mac OS update left a huge security hole requiring an emergency patch pushed-out automatically a few days later. On purpose? Of course not.

The iOS 11.2 update was primarily to fix a slew of issues with the $1000 iPhone X in time for Christmas. Every company has priorities — right now, this is Apple’s, it’s the cash-cow. Apple is very big, with a less than inspirational CEO. The result has been a slew of delays, miscues, and a few innovations...

Last edited:
Reactions: kroorda
Just saw a reply dealing with this 11.2 mess.

"The iOS 11.2 caused serious instability issues with the iAP2 communications system, the method apps use to communicate with USB devices.

Our communications relies on iAP2 and cannot work until Apple has made a fix to the iAP2 support services. We have contacted Apple for information regarding any possible work-around but at this time there are no options that we are aware of to correct the break.

At this time I suggest you not update your iOS devices."

So...either wait until Apple fixes the problem - then wait until Autel updates the app? (Which I feel could be a very long wait),
OR...Downgrade your device to 11.1.2 ios,
OR go shell out $ for an inexpensive Android device (tablet perhaps).
:confused:

The Starlink ap was working just fine - until Apple changed the iOS.
No matter what the operating system is, the developer of the operating system establishes parameters which must be met - in order for an ap/program to operate correctly with their O.S. In fact, Starlink, and other ap's did meet the parameters that Apple HAD previously set.

Apple is now big enough that they feel that they can get away with such failures, and that many of their users will support them, rather than support the other manufacturers who depend and TRUST on a non-flawed product (from Apple) that will be backwards-compatible with their previous O.S's.
This is my thinking too. What irks me is the old 10 IOS, a far more stable OS I think was "unsigned" by Apple just 7-10 days after IOS11 came out, MUCH much earlier than previous updates
...basically forcing owners to upgrade.

Same time frames are with 11.1.1 and 11.1.2. If you down upgrade, deal with the "bugs, security flaws" and no support from Apple until you upgrade.
So far 11 has been a mess. The old motto "It just works" from Apple simply does not apply anymore.

I agree, iOS 11 is a mess. I see there is another release today! 11.2.1 !!! Apple, for marketing purposes, tried to max the capabilities of the newest iPhones and iPads for the holiday season sales — at the expense of so much, it’s embarrassing. Apple, under Tim Cook, has released far too many products not ready for prime time.

Downgrading is fairly easy, except for one point. Don’t bother making a back-up of your device on the computer, because you can’t “restore” from it after downgrading. I bought a used iPad Air 2 on CL just for flying, so I set it up as a new device on iOS 11.1.2, and all is well. You can restore from an older iCloud save, but I haven’t done it in a few years. I’m pretty sure your device must be the same iOS as the restore, and Apple only allows going back to 11.1.1
How to restore an iCloud backup that's older than the most recent one (reader mail) | here's the thing

You need to download the iOS level to your Mac/PC 1st:
Download iOS Firmware for iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, Apple Watch and Apple TV.

IOS 11.2.1 has released...... any News about a fix for Starlink
Respectfully, software development, especially operating system development, can’t be compared to the development of durable goods, like a car. It’s vastly more complex, requiring millions of lines of code. The most unreliable area of new cars is S/W-related, usually the infotainment system. It was a nightmare for Ford, they fired Microsoft.

Microsoft has had many issues with Windows updates. Apple? The last Mac OS update left a huge security hole requiring an emergency patch pushed-out automatically a few days later. On purpose? Of course not.

The iOS 11.2 update was primarily to fix a slew of issues with the $1000 iPhone X in time for Christmas. Every company has priorities — right now, this is Apple’s, it’s the cash-cow. Apple is very big, with a less than inspirational CEO. The result has been a slew of delays, miscues, and a few innovations...
REALLY??? an Auburn grad that gnaws on a Green Weenie.
GO FIGGER

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aerugo