Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Evo - cracked antennas

I've successfully had it out to 3 miles, with clear LOS, with no problems, and, then, each time, suddenly, for no apparent reason, on the return trip, when even closer, with no intervening obstructions, signal will drop, FPV goes to black and white and freezes, RTH engages, and FPV is not restored until half a mile away, even though signal is restored soon after the RTH, allowing RTH cancelation and control, but no FPV. Autel could find no problems during antenna replacement, but the issue remains. Weird.

I had something similar happen to me once, but I was standing next to my house, and both my high powered wifi access points were on that side of the house - so I attributed it to interference (right or wrong). Do you put your phone in airplane mode when you fly?

LP

Anybody with a 3D printer care to take a crack at creating an antenna protector for when we put the RC in a case?

LP

So Scott took me up on my suggestion. For anyone else who is interested:

LP

I had something similar happen to me once, but I was standing next to my house, and both my high powered wifi access points were on that side of the house - so I attributed it to interference (right or wrong). Do you put your phone in airplane mode when you fly?

LP
I doubt it is interference, especially local, as the RC signal is restored shortly after, during RTH, but the FPV is not. I attribute it to something in the way the FW restores FPV after signal loss, as any time signal is lost, FPV lags behind by several minutes, until the EVO is back within a mile away, where signal and FPV tend to be reliable. Possible remote signal interference triggering the original signal loss, but it happens while flying back over the same area it successfully flew out on. Never needed airplane mode with any other 2.4Ghz aircraft from home, but I can certainly try it to eliminate that possibility.

More specifically, what were the similarities you experienced?

I doubt it is interference, especially local, as the RC signal is restored shortly after, during RTH, but the FPV is not. I attribute it to something in the way the FW restores FPV after signal loss, as any time signal is lost, FPV lags behind by several minutes, until the EVO is back within a mile away, where signal and FPV tend to be reliable. Possible remote signal interference triggering the original signal loss, but it happens while flying back over the same area it successfully flew out on. Never needed airplane mode with any other 2.4Ghz aircraft from home, but I can certainly try it to eliminate that possibility.

Have you tried flying from a higher elevation? The world is curved, therefore even if you think you don't have any obstruction, you may in fact do and experience signal degradation. You also are competing with thousands of signals along the way, crowding the bandwith. As for the FPV not getting restored. I really don't know.

Have you tried flying from a higher elevation? The world is curved, therefore even if you think you don't have any obstruction, you may in fact do and experience signal degradation. You also are competing with thousands of signals along the way, crowding the bandwith. As for the FPV not getting restored. I really don't know.
I'm already flying from a hilltop 250 feet above sea level, with clear unobstructed LOS out to 5+ miles in almost every direction, flying out to sea, and have been successfully flying "another manufacturer's" drones over the same area for the last 4 years. The ground drops off below me, so by flying straight out at 150' above the launch point, I am already at 400 feet above the ground where the signal mysteriously gets dropped. The lack of FPV restoral is the puzzler, and ruins the flight video. Still working on the solution, which may simply be to limit all EVO flights to within a mile, where it still excels, and does not lose signal, and therefore also does not lose FPV.

I'm already flying from a hilltop 250 feet above sea level, with clear unobstructed LOS out to 5+ miles in almost every direction, flying out to sea, and have been successfully flying "another manufacturer's" drones over the same area for the last 4 years. The ground drops off below me, so by flying straight out at 150' above the launch point, I am already at 400 feet above the ground where the signal mysteriously gets dropped. The lack of FPV restoral is the puzzler, and ruins the flight video. Still working on the solution, which may simply be to limit all EVO flights to within a mile, where it still excels, and does not lose signal, and therefore also does not lose FPV.
What about using wind surfers?

One of my other avocations is ham radio, which fits well with a career in RF engineering. Anyway, saltwater being salty, it reflects RF well. Depending on the wavelength a reflected signal can interfere with the direct signal, sometimes actually reducing path loss but more often just causing problems. Just a wild guess, but...

Reactions: MD Automation

I just meant a complete, unexpected and spontaneous disconnect with black screen followed by the Evo starting to return home - even though it was still well within LOS and not very far away. In my case though, it all came back pretty quickly - but I wasn't too far away to begin with.

Since I generally keep my drones within LOS, I'd have no problem with just shorter range with the Evo. I don't really need a ton of range - I just need the connection to be reliable within that range, and right now I don't trust the Evo like I do my DJI drones.

LP

What about using wind surfers?
I've been experimenting with various wind surfers, but no one makes one that fits properly on the EVO. Closest I have come still has overlap between the independent mounts over the antennas, as they are a very different width, compared to the "other" mounts that are plentiful.

I just meant a complete, unexpected and spontaneous disconnect with black screen followed by the Evo starting to return home - even though it was still well within LOS and not very far away. In my case though, it all came back pretty quickly - but I wasn't too far away to begin with.

Since I generally keep my drones within LOS, I'd have no problem with just shorter range with the Evo. I don't really need a ton of range - I just need the connection to be reliable within that range, and right now I don't trust the Evo like I do my DJI drones.

LP
Indeed, I trust it, too, at close range of under a mile. However, to take full advantage of the lack of GEO, there are many situations where flying from farther away, would be advantageous. An antenna mod will likely solve that problem.

Last edited:
Indeed, I trust it, , too, at close range of under a mile. However, to take full advantage of the lack of GEO, there are many situations where flying from farther away, would be advantageous. An antenna mod will likely solve that problem.

I will likely just wait till they break, buy another controller and then mod this one with better antennas.....if I don't sell the Evo first.

LP

I will likely just wait till they break, buy another controller and then mod this one with better antennas.....if I don't sell the Evo first.

LP
Good strategy! I'm all-in at this point, wanting to make the most of it! I still have yet to encounter a situation where I couldn't fly where I wanted to with my stock M2, which is what I purchased the Evo for, in addition to the stellar 4K 60fps video in a small package that actually all fits comfortably in the Autel shoulder bag with three batteries! However, I'm always ready with it, while I work on the range issues.

I've been experimenting with various wind surfers, but no one makes one that fits properly on the EVO. Closest I have come still has overlap between the independent mounts over the antennas, as they are a very different width, compared to the "other" mounts that are plentiful.
Make your own. They are just plastic and aluminum foil.

Good strategy! I'm all-in at this point, wanting to make the most of it! I still have yet to encounter a situation where I couldn't fly where I wanted to with my stock M2, which is what I purchased the Evo for, in addition to the stellar 4K 60fps video in a small package that actually all fits comfortably in the Autel shoulder bag with three batteries! However, I'm always ready with it, while I work on the range issues.

What's an M2?

Make your own. They are just plastic and aluminum foil.
True, but the exact shape of the roundness of parabola and the placement of the antenna within each parabola and how much the parabola extends forward of the antennas is critical to their optimal benefit. Having them also stay attached hanging underneath with the antennas down is another challenge. Experimenting with making your own is also likely to stress the already fragile antennas during the various fitting attempts. The mounted windsurfer also stresses the fragile antennas any time it gets bumped. Have you found a windsurfer template anywhere designed specifically for the EVO?

True, but the exact shape of the roundness of parabola and the placement of the antenna within each parabola and how much the parabola extends forward of the antennas is critical to their optimal benefit. Having them also stay attached hanging underneath with the antennas down is another challenge. Experimenting with making your own is also likely to stress the already fragile antennas during the various fitting attempts. The mounted windsurfer also stresses the fragile antennas any time it gets bumped. Have you found a windsurfer template anywhere designed specifically for the EVO?
Nope.

What's an M2?
Mavic 2 pro/zoom

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GLOBODRONE