Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Into the Drink!!!

577-Jersey

Reaction score
I have a fair question I believe.

I love to fly my drone over bodies of water and such.

What if the drone quit and dropped from a malfunction into the river and was never able to be found?

Would Autel replace the drone?

How would we be able to prove our beloved bird is a sunken treasure?

lol

Was just wondering cause Im going to fly over the river this week and the thought crossed my mind :)

Tom

I doubt they would .. but why worry about a sudden fall?

As long as you don't go to silly .. go for it!

Take a look at some of the posted videos..both here and on YouTube.

I took mine out about 25 yards over the sea a few weeks ago.

Regards,

Cider Boy.

Its really ironic that i posted this thread today.
My buddy who has an XSP lost his into a lake this afternoon after I posted this.

He had the magnetic interference warning come up,lost control,switched over to ATTI but no luck because it was not enabled in his app.

There where no power lines or anything around him for miles so must have been a compass issue.

I asked him if he calibrated the compass before flight and am waiting on his reply.

100ft below the lake sits his pumpkin,i almost shed a tear.

Moral of the story,make sure you have ATTI enabled on the app!!!!!!!

I haven't played around with ATTI that much, so in a case like that, would switching over to ATTI definitely help?

Its really ironic that i posted this thread today.
My buddy who has an XSP lost his into a lake this afternoon after I posted this.

He had the magnetic interference warning come up,lost control,switched over to ATTI but no luck because it was not enabled in his app.

There where no power lines or anything around him for miles so must have been a compass issue.

I asked him if he calibrated the compass before flight and am waiting on his reply.

100ft below the lake sits his pumpkin,i almost shed a tear.

Moral of the story,make sure you have ATTI enabled on the app!!!!!!!

Put one of these on and you should be fine.
Amazon.com : GetterBack Rod Recovery System with Black Velcro Strap, Yellow : Fishing Reel Care Accessories : Sports & Outdoors

So I saw this elsewhere as well. . .I double checked with Autel support and if magnetic interference occurs, the xsp will automatically be in atti mode regardless of whether this is enabled in the settings. That part is fact based upon Autel support's response.
Hypothesis:. I am guessing that there really isn't much of an option. . .If there are GPS coordinates available and the drone is drifting from those coordinates it would need to know what direction to go in which to get there. Without that orientation autonomous navigation would be limited to gps and accelerometer data which would be inadequate.
Very sad about your buddy's loss. I have had that same fear on the few occasions I have been over water. To reiterate what many others on this forum have expressed, there is significant value in having some manual "stick time"…and even the value of that for me at least, degrades rapidly as visual distance increases.

Sent from my QTAIR7 using Tapatalk

I would think if you cut some pieces of foam noodle from the swimming pool and fix it onto the bottom gear the drone shall not sink.

I was talking with a guy recently who was flying a Phantom 2 behind their boat while deep sea fishing off the coast of Alabama. Now it sleeps with the fishes. The Getterback may have helped, if it was less than 100 feet. Would be kinda funny if one day someone caught a shark, cut him open, and there's the P2.:D

My buddy contacted Autel and he was pleased to find out they may help him.
They told him to send in a copy of his last flight log and if they can see what happened was a malfunction he will get a new drone.

I was reading the reviews on the Getter Back,looks like alot of people are putting them on drones.

Thanks for the info and piece of mind!

Tom

Correct me if Im wrong, but I thought I read somewere in the manual that flying too close to water can cause a compass malfunction because of the water's shiney reflection.

Correct me if Im wrong, but I thought I read somewere in the manual that flying too close to water can cause a compass malfunction because of the water's shiney reflection.
It shouldn't affect the compass, maybe the drift cam...

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonhenkelman