Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Is the Autel X-Star all Tuckered out?

Why on earth would I want the old FW? And full disclosure, I never flew my refurb running the old FW (whatever that was) as I instantly updated to the 1st beta right out of the box. So I have no idea if it flew better or more reliably. As I said before...I use mine in my work...daily...several times a day in different locations...this IS and WILL remain my workhorse. It is so incredibly MORE reliable than my DJI by a mile (and I'm not talking distance runs either ;) ). I have been seriously contemplating getting a 2nd XSP and selling my P3 backup, but the XSP has been so reliable, I never need a backup (knocks on wood ;) ).

I wouldn't mind having one just for extra parts. Do you work for a company with your XSP or do contract work?

When I say "my work" I don't mean I get paid. I mean when I travel throughout the day I stop and get interesting footage like this, which is boring to most the 1st half, but if you look at the stability when passing between the power lines, just incredible:

Reactions: dronechimp
WOW! That pretty daring getting so close to those power lines. Can I asked where that vid was shot at?

Details for Two Mile Reservoir
Species Caught Here:
Unknown

Access: Public Property
Body of Water Type: Reservoir
Lat/Long: 39.413391 -84.554947

LOL Augustine...

I know what I've said about this drone and my ONLY complaint is the battery drop issue.....Depending on your usage, the X-Star Premium is easily the best drone on the market. Blows my DJI Phantom 3 clear away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry....hit send to soon. I contacted Autel customer support about the dissatisfaction on the forum. Here is the reply from Jason D:

‘As far as the forums and such go, we are doing our best to stay on top of the forums and make sure people aren't dis-satisfied. We know there were a lot of people who weren't happy with the beta firmware, but the official release is out now, and seems to have fixed most of the issues people were complaining about online.

We try to keep all of our accessories in stock as much as possible, and currently I believe we have most things in stock in that regard. We will absolutely continue to support our aircraft and have no plans to stop that support any time soon.

If you have a crash, our repair department is here to keep you in the air, and we are always happy to bring aircraft in under a warranty evaluation to see if we can cover the damages for you.

We had some delays in development from the prototypes that we showed at CES last year, but they are still in the works, and we have some great products in our future plans.”

Continuous Lift

OH boy they seem to be programming their employees with the same line of bull.
#1 There are some really big problems with the final firmware, all you have to do is read some of the forums and Autels Facebook page.

#2 They don't have much in stock as far as UAV's are concerned. Refurbs are out again, X-star stand alone package has been out for two months. Only one you can buy from them is the Rugged package.

#3 Yes they offer great support but think about it they have nothing else to offer.
Over a year to update a product (firmware) is an eternity in consumer drones. In the same period of time their prime competitor announced and released 3 products, got caught up in a multilevel military ban, has modified their firmware several times, and improved the camera on their best selling product. (P4)
If Autel is doing any market research I'd sure like to know where they are looking as they do not appear to be listening to the people that have been buying their products. Those are the same people that would buy more Autel products if they met a significant portion of the customer expectations. It's the repeat customers that carry a company, not the new ones.

I don't agree even a little. Comparing Apples to oranges when comparing Autel to DJI. Autel does ALOT MORE than DJI does as far as manufacturing goes. Autel has refurbs still for sale. And there are no "really big problems" with the new FW. The only issue(s) are a smoother yaw and the battery drop, which they replace the batteries willingly.

No, Autel isn't going anywhere.

Must have just added it this morning because I was looking at this earlier this morning and it said sold out on refurbs.
If you think the firmware is OK then you have never flown a good quad before.
And I was not comparing the two companies. I was just suggesting that Autel can do more to keep its customer base happy. Which will bring them more business.
Autel is a great company but it needs to shape up.
The firmware that they just put out is what they promised over a year ago so they are 1 year behind already.
You have your opinion and I have mine.

Last edited:
I've flown a variety of "good quads" before. The XSP can hold its own easily.

Can't remember who it was, someone on here, had their batteries replaced to fix the drop problem. Haven't heard a report from them confirming that fixed it.

I have my doubts. My batteries are in various stages of age and number of charges. Newest being 9 charges. They all drop. None dropped before the .12 update.

I'm going to try discharging them and recharging before contacting Autel. I'm sure Autel will replace them. Just not sure what good that would be if they still drop.

I am not saying the XSP is better than or worse than any other drone. I'm just saying that if Autel right now said they were introducing a new, greatest ever model to replace the XSP I wouldn't purchase it for at least a year to see what problems showed up.

I too am NOT in the 'early adopter' camp...but I would be willing to be, based on my experience with Autel thus far. I understand people being nervous but really, there is nothing to fret about in my opinion. If this drone doesn't do what you want, then by all means, go get another brand. But be forewarned that EVERY drone has its own unique set of 'issues' that have to be dealt with. For me, the XSP does everything I bought it for and then some, more than acceptably, more like downright brilliantly.

Yes, we each have our opinions, and I will fight to the death your right to express your opinion...no matter how wrong you are. ;) (JK)

When people have an issue that does not resolve after reading and following published instructions their first course of action should be to contact the customer service department of the company that made the product. For some reason they\we run to forums such as this one thinking our questions will be answered and resolved by system experts. Posting in places like this is good for general conversational purposes but the fact is, if you have followed directions to the letter the only fix you will obtain is with customer service.
Unfortunatly customer service has the same answer. "We know there were a lot of people who weren't happy with the beta firmware, but the official release is out now, and seems to have fixed most of the issues people were complaining about online. "
The issues are still there and they know it but either don't know how or don't care to fix them.
I do understand that we are dealing with a hobby level aircraft that was awarded the term "consumer drone" as a means to promote greater sales volume. In truth every MultiRotor priced less than $10k is hobby level because none of the components used to assemble them are in any way certified, have zero published documentation referencing min/max performance levels, are made by the lowest bidder, and assembled by companies with no AS9100 policies. Many of the components used may be faulty and only discovered after they have been in an operational state for an unknown period of time. This is applicable to all hobby/"consumer" drone manufacturers. We are not buying a certified aircraft and should not be under some illusion that we are but we should be able to expect known issues to be fixed in a timely manner but they are not. Over one year to come up with firmware that still has known issues admitted by Autel staff is unacceptable.

I can't figure out what is going on with their website LOL
Tuesday I posted that refubs are back in stock. Up eary this morning and it said sold out again. Squirrel brought it to my attention the site said they are in stock so I checked and sure enough they were. Just checked again 2 1\2 hours later and it says out of stock WTF :)

Screenshot 2017-12-07 13.03.10.png

HAHAHA...I am guessing but I imagine what is happening is they get 1 or 2 back from QC and post them and they sell. It isn't as if they have a storeroom full of refurbs. I would imagine their return to purchase ratio is rather low. Again, just guessing based on how I interact with mine.

I admit it...when I 1st got my refurb and compared it to the P3, I was almost ready to return it. Come to find out the problems were all in my head. I was expecting the machine to fly and act like my P3. I realized (thankfully) that it was a good thing it isn't anything like the P3, but better...seriously and honestly better. I will easily put it against a P4P except for distance...which...I couldn't care less about. Once out of sight and who knows what could happen. I always keep in LOS. But I digress.

All I'm saying is if you are looking for a DJI experience, Autel isn't it. I was looking for something better and the reason my second drone chosen is the XSP. It is just a remarkable value and incredible machine that I consider professional entry level while [my] DJI phantoms are consumer top shelf level. The XSP is extremely more utilitarian than ANYTHING in the Phantom line, even the P4, tho the P4 absolutely approaches that level. But again, I digress. ;)

I honestly believe a new drone is coming from Autel. When, is another topic for another time. As long as my XSP continues the way it has and Autels customer support continues as they have, I'm in no rush as there is nothing out there that can do what I am using mine for, any better.

I agree with everything said.

I don't think anyone here is "wrong" as indicated by squirrel.

I have faith in Autel as a company. I think they need to work on their integrity. A little less boasting and much more action.

When people have an issue that does not resolve after reading and following published instructions their first course of action should be to contact the customer service department of the company that made the product. For some reason they\we run to forums such as this one thinking our questions will be answered and resolved by system experts. Posting in places like this is good for general conversational purposes but the fact is, if you have followed directions to the letter the only fix you will obtain is with customer service.
Unfortunatly customer service has the same answer. "We know there were a lot of people who weren't happy with the beta firmware, but the official release is out now, and seems to have fixed most of the issues people were complaining about online. "
The issues are still there and they know it but either don't know how or don't care to fix them.
I do understand that we are dealing with a hobby level aircraft that was awarded the term "consumer drone" as a means to promote greater sales volume. In truth every MultiRotor priced less than $10k is hobby level because none of the components used to assemble them are in any way certified, have zero published documentation referencing min/max performance levels, are made by the lowest bidder, and assembled by companies with no AS9100 policies. Many of the components used may be faulty and only discovered after they have been in an operational state for an unknown period of time. This is applicable to all hobby/"consumer" drone manufacturers. We are not buying a certified aircraft and should not be under some illusion that we are but we should be able to expect known issues to be fixed in a timely manner but they are not. Over one year to come up with firmware that still has known issues admitted by Autel staff is unacceptable.
Very,very well Said

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
supa_jb