Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Looks like they made v2.0.12 firmware update! the official release

Just got my camera/gimble back from service and it still has horizon tilt. Maybe there is no fix.

Alexey,
I had what appears to be a similar problem. Not only was the horizon slanted but I when I yawed the horizon would just tilt more. I even had the landing bar show a couple of times. What finally cleared it for me was Autel sending me a new camera/gimbal along with a shipping ticket to return the 'bad' one. I have and always used the stable setting and have and am using the 2.x firmware.
Have you contacted Autel?... they wanted me to send them a sample of the video before the exchange was made.

Just got my camera/gimble back from service and it still has horizon tilt. Maybe there is no fix.

I now have the exact problem that bjtap is describing. Very noticeable tilt to the horizon that only gets worse the more I yaw. If I change the direction of the yaw, the direction of the tilt changes as well, so it can't be adjusted using the gimbal roll feature in Starlink. I'm definitely in Stability mode, and always have been. Never had a tilted horizon before at all previously - absolutely perfectly level. Updated the firmware to 2.0.12 from 1.2.8 and the horizon has this "variable tilt with yaw problem" right from the very first flight. It doesn't seem to right itself, at least not very quickly - I find that if I "bump" the yaw slightly in the opposite direction after a turn, I can coax the camera back to almost level.

bjtap - was your XSP still under warranty when they made that camera/gimbal replacement? I think mine is out of warranty - I guess I have to check, but if I remember right, the XSP has a one year warranty. If I have to pay for a new camera and gimbal, I'll be at a crossroads on what to do about moving on to something different. Plus, Wayne Maine's experience of still having the tilt after service makes me nervous. Too much of a coincidence that this problem appeared right after my firmware upgrade - I have serious doubts whether a new camera/gimbal will fix the issue.

Also, all four of my batteries now drop from 30% (where I have my low battery warning set) to 5% immediately, which forces the ship into emergency landing mode. Luckily, with all four batteries, I was flying the ship very close by, otherwise it probably wouldn't have made it back if the batteries really were at 5%. In one case, I landed the XSP with only 1% and 0 mins left on the meter. :eek:

So far I have not experience the tilt on the gimbal and I have updated to every beta firmware along the way so I don't believe it is firmware related. If it was we all would be suffering the same fate.
For all 4 of your batteries to have the same problem I wonder if your charger is doing its job while charging. Perhaps the charger is not balancing the cells properly causing the critical drop. Your warranty is good for one year, and the batteries will be covered if you are below 200 cycles so I would get them replaced and see if you can get a new charger to resolve your problem.

So far I have not experience the tilt on the gimbal and I have updated to every beta firmware along the way so I don't believe it is firmware related. If it was we all would be suffering the same fate.

I don't know what to think, Agustine. I suppose it's possible that something just happened to give out between the last flight on the old firmware and the first flight on the new firmware. I'm just not a believer in coincidences. My XSP is over a year old and therefore out of warranty, so this will be an expensive fix (and maybe not worthwhile) if it comes out of pocket.

For all 4 of your batteries to have the same problem I wonder if your charger is doing its job while charging. Perhaps the charger is not balancing the cells properly causing the critical drop. Your warranty is good for one year, and the batteries will be covered if you are below 200 cycles so I would get them replaced and see if you can get a new charger to resolve your problem.

That's a very good call Agustine - I've actually had this same issue with 2 previous batteries, which Autel replaced back in April. Didn't even think about the charger, but that makes a ton of sense. All of these batteries couldn't have gone bad all at once. I know the new firmware did something to optimize the batteries for storage, etc, so maybe the system is more sensitive to the battery issues with the new firmware (which is probably a good thing?) and that's why suddenly all of them look bad at once. All of the batteries are well below 200 cycles - the ones from April are under a couple dozen cycles, so I have no doubt Autel will offer to replace them. Might be worth asking them to just send a new charger and try that - I'm not after free batteries if I don't need them. But I suppose it's possible the batteries themselves are damaged from the faulty charge. Anyways, just thinking out loud. I'll be calling Autel later today to get their thoughts.

I don't know what to think, Agustine. I suppose it's possible that something just happened to give out between the last flight on the old firmware and the first flight on the new firmware. I'm just not a believer in coincidences. My XSP is over a year old and therefore out of warranty, so this will be an expensive fix (and maybe not worthwhile) if it comes out of pocket.

That's a very good call Agustine - I've actually had this same issue with 2 previous batteries, which Autel replaced back in April. Didn't even think about the charger, but that makes a ton of sense. All of these batteries couldn't have gone bad all at once. I know the new firmware did something to optimize the batteries for storage, etc, so maybe the system is more sensitive to the battery issues with the new firmware (which is probably a good thing?) and that's why suddenly all of them look bad at once. All of the batteries are well below 200 cycles - the ones from April are under a couple dozen cycles, so I have no doubt Autel will offer to replace them. Might be worth asking them to just send a new charger and try that - I'm not after free batteries if I don't need them. But I suppose it's possible the batteries themselves are damaged from the faulty charge. Anyways, just thinking out loud. I'll be calling Autel later today to get their thoughts.

Autel cameras are not the only ones who have the
camera tilt problem. I moderate on a Yuneec forum and the Q500 4K CGO3 cameras are known to have a tilt problem. Some can be fixed by sending it in to yuneec support to get recalibrated but sometimes they come back still with the same problem. I think myself the servo motors get weak and fail. You have to think about all the different moves that gimbal has to do in a flight to keep that camera pretty much level. Things will wear out unfortunately.

Before I install the new firmware, can anyone confirm that there are no "geo boundaries" or GPS limitations built int it that will restrict my use in "prohibited" areas or at specific altitudes? I think you know what I'm asking. We all know the nonsense that DJI has in place, and I want to make sure Autel hasn't moved in that direction before I install something that may limit my freedoms. Thanks much!

Autel cameras are not the only ones who have the
camera tilt problem. I moderate on a Yuneec forum and the Q500 4K CGO3 cameras are known to have a tilt problem. Some can be fixed by sending it in to yuneec support to get recalibrated but sometimes they come back still with the same problem. I think myself the servo motors get weak and fail. You have to think about all the different moves that gimbal has to do in a flight to keep that camera pretty much level. Things will wear out unfortunately.

All true, I imagine. No doubt, the gimbal is making a ton of correction during the course of any given flight, so I would expect some wear over time and eventual replacement of moving parts. All that said, I've only got just under 50 hours logged on the XSP since purchase in pretty normal operating conditions - I'd expect the gimbal to be robust enough to last longer than that.

Gonna do some flights now to do some documentation, then make the call to CS and see what the next step is.

I can't contact Autel because I am in zone where X-Star drones not sell officially. I bought it on Ebay from China. So I have no rights for service maintenance.
Alexey, When you call Autel for help, they don't ask you where you purchased it, or where you are flying it.

Alexey, When you call Autel for help, they don't ask you where you purchased it, or where you are flying it.
Thank you for your tip but if part replacement needed they quite accurately deny me.
I am waiting new 1' sensor camera and if it will never be issued... I just lost tons of time.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonhenkelman