Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Rolling The Smoke On Some Bacon

With the colder weather it really is not great to use my smokers any more. Yes it can be done but being electric smokers they take longer to heat so I have moved on to stocking up on what I was brought up on. I am Ukrainian and ate a lot of Ukrainian food as my family is from Ukrain. Lately I been making a Ukrainian dish Varenyky it is also known as pyrohy, perogies or potato dumplings. Cheesy potato filling surrounded by a tender, almost non-existent, dough that melts in your mouth. My recipe is no where near what I remember my moms to be but close. 7 dozen made and in the freezer :)

View attachment 5721

View attachment 5722

Sounds great, can't beat any potato dish. Think I will give them a try, maybe add a little bacon into the filling. Everything is better with bacon... ;)

My go to recipe page

Looks great, maybe Ansia will see this, it could help with the pizza thing.... ?

Bread for the pizza is turned into sugar for the blood stream, which is bad for diabetes. Red sauce also gives gastritis. Cholesterol from cheese and pepperoni also kill you.

• Wow
Reactions: Jagerbomb52
Bread for the pizza is turned into sugar for the blood stream, which is bad for diabetes. Red sauce also gives gastritis. Cholesterol from cheese and pepperoni also kill you.
Hawaiian cuisine is pretty deadly too..... Laulau’s taste great (pork w/fat wrapped in Taro leaves baked in pit of hot rocks), but you get your daily max of cholesterol just looking at it :(
901C5BF0-6C03-4D79-8453-3E3F16E079F9.jpeg

Hawaiian cuisine is pretty deadly too..... Laulau’s taste great (pork w/fat wrapped in Taro leaves baked in pit of hot rocks), but you get your daily max of cholesterol just looking at it :(
View attachment 5732

Looks good to me. I have a couple of buddies that came to Canada from New Zealand. They live in the country also and every year they will roast a pig in a pit. Some of the best pork I have ever tasted.

Reactions: HiloHawaiian
Looks good to me. I have a couple of buddies that came to Canada from New Zealand. They live in the country also and every year they will roast a pig in a pit. Some of the best pork I have ever tasted.
Good old southern cooking, a "pig in the ground" why it must be international cooking. We ain't none getting out alive. Even vegans die! ?
?‍♂️

Good old southern cooking, a "pig in the ground" why it must be international cooking. We ain't none getting out alive. Even vegans die! ?
?‍♂️
If most vegans are tree huggers. Why do they eat the plants they wish to protect?

• Haha
Reactions: Tufargon
It is incredibly good. Roasted for 3 hours, the taro leaf adds some bitterness to the sweet pork. Pit-roasted pigs in the Deep South is awfully good too, some fill the bellies with Apple/fruit juices for flavor, but Laulau’s are special!
The NZ Maori & Hawaiians have a similar cultural background, maybe the Tahitians colonized both? They both roast pigs in a pit in some way...

If most vegans are tree huggers. Why do they eat the plants they wish to protect?
Yes, it's ironic isn't it :rolleyes: The tree huggers go through the forest littering their plastic water bottles and foam cups.........

With the colder weather it really is not great to use my smokers any more. Yes it can be done but being electric smokers they take longer to heat so I have moved on to stocking up on what I was brought up on. I am Ukrainian and ate a lot of Ukrainian food as my family is from Ukrain. Lately I been making a Ukrainian dish Varenyky it is also known as pyrohy, perogies or potato dumplings. Cheesy potato filling surrounded by a tender, almost non-existent, dough that melts in your mouth. My recipe is no where near what I remember my moms to be but close. 7 dozen made and in the freezer :)

View attachment 5721

View attachment 5722
Quick question: Do you bake these or fry like fried pies? Thinking about giving them a go, maybe add some bacon and cheese. ?

When I make them they go into the freezer. So when I want some I will take out say a dozen and drop them into a pot of boiling water. You will notice them starting to float to the top after awhile. Remove them from the hat water into a casserole dish or something similar. Add chopped onions and bacon bits on them with a whole lot of butter and put in the over to cook for a while. Some people like to fry them after the hot water bath but I find they get to hard to chew.

Any one of these recipes should set you off in the right direction :)

Reactions: butch
When I make them they go into the freezer. So when I want some I will take out say a dozen and drop them into a pot of boiling water. You will notice them starting to float to the top after awhile. Remove them from the hat water into a casserole dish or something similar. Add chopped onions and bacon bits on them with a whole lot of butter and put in the over to cook for a while. Some people like to fry them after the hot water bath but I find they get to hard to chew.

Any one of these recipes should set you off in the right direction :)

Ok, this even got my wife interested, it sounds delicious!

Reactions: Jagerbomb52
Well good luck on making your first batch. The hardest part that people find is crimping the dough so it does not open up when you boil them. Some say they end up with Potato soup LOL
Since I make so many I have resorted to buying this handy little helper. Once you get a routine going you can make 60- 80 in a couple of hours.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xander0791