Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Battery Drop - Am I Jinxing myself?

Its not that the battery will not charge its the firmware on the smart circuit part of the battery saying it is to low and will not turn on. Stupid system if I ever saw one. Should be a manual override.

Battery maintenance Is actually is pretty simple. It was established long ago not to discharge your lipo batteries below 30% of capacity for best longevity. For general purposes not dipping below 3.4v- 3.6v v/cell always works. Nothing has changed in lithium polymer chemistry to alter that. So multiply the "s" number (3s, 4s, 6s, etc.) times 3.4 and don't discharge below that total. I use 3.6v/cell on my other quad batteries and they remain functional for well over a year and many charge cycles.
Manufacturers that use smart batteries and proprietary battery cells make money from the sale of new batteries. They sell an aircraft only once to a customer but they can sell batteries many times to the same customer. Do you think they are more interested in protecting the consumer or in generating a profit? Bear in mind that voltage warnings used in systems are minimums.
Li-Poly battery stuff isn't all that difficult when it's reduced to the basics.
Charge at no more than 1C
Never leave batteries unattended when charging
Don't leave batteries on a charger over night
Don't leave batteries plugged into the aircraft
Never store batteries fully charged. The exception is the X-Star tx controller which can be stored fully charged as it uses a different (Li-On) battery chemistry.
Store batteries at "room temperature". Around 20 Celsius is a fair room temp reference number.
Store batteries with cells at or very close to 3.8v/cell
Don't discharge more than 70% of capacity
Flight time is determined by battery voltage, nothing else.
Land the X-Star at or above 14.4 volts total pack voltage
Don't use the low battery auto landing safety feature to gauge flight time. It's too late.
Don't recharge a battery immediately after discharging, allow it to cool for half hour or an hour first
If the outside air temp is really cold, keep batteries warm until they are going to be put in the aircraft.
Flight time is reduced in cold outside air temperatures. The colder it is the lower the flight time.
If the battery starts to swell up, it's done. Don't put a lot of time into trying to see if you can keep flying it. Get another.
Invest in a good after market battery maintenance system/charger. You can discharge to storage without flying the X-Star. They will save you a lot of money in replacement batteries.
The above will get ya going but websites like www.batteryuniversity.com will help you understand more about batteries.

Reactions: KentA
Agustine,

Our batteries discharge themselves after a few days of storage. Isn't it low enough?

Can you suggest an inexpensive, appropriate after market battery maintenance system/charger? The ones I own & see for sale apparently maintain a full charge without a discharge feature or ability to maintain a <30% capacity.

Agustine,

Our batteries discharge themselves after a few days of storage. Isn't it low enough?

Can you suggest an inexpensive, appropriate after market battery maintenance system/charger? The ones I own & see for sale apparently maintain a full charge without a discharge feature or ability to maintain a <30% capacity.

https://www.amazon.com/Hitec-RCD-44232-X2Ac-Charger/dp/B014G6K6BQ

And the cable you need to connect to the battery.

https://www.amazon.com/Jrelecs-Charging-Adapter-Phantom-Battery/dp/B019OOR95Q

Many places to get either the charger or cables. Just used these places as reference.

Reactions: KentA
I had a battery drop, but I saw it didn't charge correctly. It got to 2 lights flashing and stayed there until it cut off as if it were charged. Checking the charge by pressing the button twice, it showed 4 lights.
I took it to a local park and flew around close to the ground, and when it got to
50%, it dropped to 6% and started to land. It had just enough to get back close enough to get it.
I sent an email to Jacob, Autel, with the battery information, and he said they were concerned about the drop and are sending me a new battery. 20171205_192705.jpg

My other problem is that I installed the new firmware update and it just updated the Flight control and the Optical flow.
After many other attempts, it would unpack and then say that my firmware is up to date. I got in touch with Jacob, and after a few screenshots he said I am good to go. I forgot to say I love everything about my X STAR PREMIUM.
Here's the version the remote says I got.

Attachments

• 20171205_192258.jpg
    20171205_192258.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 9
Jinxed myself...LOL...Battery drop yesterday...well, that theory is out the window. :confused:

50%?!?!?! That is the highest I've ever read. 30-35% is the norm...

Yea, crazy right? Luckily I always charge my batteries in view. It's the only problem I've ever had. I figure that's not bad considering everyone complaining about their drones. I won't worry about it cuz when you worry, it's not a hobby anymore.

Reactions: Squirrel!
Does anyone use these charger/maintainers that Augustine is talking about? What brand & type do you use? Is it worth the money & proactive to do this? I have a lot of questions on this issue due to having several battery drops over the last 5 months In very rugged terrain, i just want to be able to fly without issues & will shell out he money if it will help, anyone?

I really don't think anything will guarantee you a perfect flight. I strongly believe this is a battery firmware problem and until Autel fixes this issue it will bite you in the ***. The after market charges and cables I have posted about only will allow you to discharge your batteries without flying. I can tell you I went out today in 4°F and flew with my battery #1 that had the drop and got replaced with no problem. It seems to be a hit and miss type of deal IMHO.
I cycle the batteries more often than what they recommend. Have no idea if that helps or not.

Augustine, thank you for your reply. At this point i guess i would be looking for a cheaper unit that would discharge the batteries without flying ( to damn cold right now) Has anyone purchased & used a unit cheaper than the one mentioned in the above posts from Amazon for $100, thanks

Thanks Agustine! I would like to find one that runs off A/C that does the same thing, i'll do a little research, but thanks for the info

Yup perfect little charger. It will only do one battery at a time but thats all you need.
The cable I posted a few people have used it and said it works perfectly.
I had a traxes cable and just split it in two and it works just as good. Not hard to modify stuff if it doesn't fit :)

Thoughts???

1st battery is the original. 2nd is a white Amazon battery. 3rd is an orange eBay battery. 4th is replacement battery (white) for 1st battery. 5th battery is replacement for 4th battery.

Bat #1 (original came with XSP) Replaced with Bat #4.JPG Bat #2 bought from Amazon-white.JPG Bat #3 bought off eBay.JPG Bat #4 white - Replacement for Bat #1.JPG Bat #5 - Replacement for Bat #4.JPG

your 1st battery looks bad if all of these has been just charged, its below the minimum of 4200 mah

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bibo