Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

DJI CAN KEEP IT! NOT INTERESTED!

Its amazing on how many DJI gave out for reviews. Youtube is just full of them now. And this is only day one LOL

Its like a freaking Mavic-air tsunami.....they're going to sell so many of these things we'll all be able to get one for free.....just wait for one of your neighbor's kids to dump one in your backyard....shouldn't be long now.

Reactions: Yrkidn
the chinks I see in the mavic air initially are the cmos size, no 3d mapping, and controller only using smartphone (no tablet). I also do not like the DJI Go4 app, especially on Android.
If the EVO came out with a 1" sensor, that alone would set it apart from the entire Mavic series. If autel made it clear that NFZ's are not in the firmware (pilots responsibility), and allowed for a base firmware to roll back to from errant upgrades, that would keep my eye on EVO. Autel has a slim window of opportunity, but ONLY if done right. None of us old timers are running out to get first run Mavic Airs...we will read the forums and hold off til early reports come in. Our pumpkins photo quality is already as good as the Mavic Air and every other DJI consumer product sans the P4P. Autel had better come out with the EVO soon, hats off to DJI for teaching every other drone manufacturer how to roll out a new drone...promises AND execution in the same announcement.

Reactions: Clint H
The Mavic Air was not marketed towards the same folks who would buy an EVO, but some still will buy one. There is no comparing them... no I mean that literally, there is no comparing them because the EVO has not released and has no release date, if at all (please Autel, release the EVO!). DJI, on the other hand, shows their product when it is ready to sell. Is it everything I hoped it would be, no, not exactly, but it checks a lot of boxes for me so I bought the Flymore kit in Onyx black. I do feel it is $100 overpriced, especially since they did not include Occusync in with all that high tech (7 sensing cameras! :eek:). Will I buy an EVO should it make it to market? Yes, I most likely will. Do I have a drone addiction? Yes, I most certainly do. :D

It goes 68.4 Kph which works out to 42.5 Mph. I am pretty sure that is about what the EVO is rated at is it not? The folding arms are made from titanium and the EVO is plastic. (might be carbon fiber at a added cost later)
9 minutes more of flight time is a big maybe. When have you seen flight time that is advertised accurate LOL
Yes the controller on the EVO has the built in screen but that is not a deal breaker for me. I would be using my tablet with a aftermarket holder. There are already ones you can buy on Amazon.
A launch with a shipping date is bonus.
The flymore package for the same price as the EVO is also a bonus.

Not a big fan of Casey Neistat but he has some good footage from the camera. Lots of Youtube reviews out today.

He sure can make a video... hard to beat. Not sure whats up with the blonde hair recently. :confused:

the chinks I see in the mavic air initially are the cmos size, no 3d mapping, and controller only using smartphone (no tablet). I also do not like the DJI Go4 app, especially on Android.
If the EVO came out with a 1" sensor, that alone would set it apart from the entire Mavic series. If autel made it clear that NFZ's are not in the firmware (pilots responsibility), and allowed for a base firmware to roll back to from errant upgrades, that would keep my eye on EVO. Autel has a slim window of opportunity, but ONLY if done right. None of us old timers are running out to get first run Mavic Airs...we will read the forums and hold off til early reports come in. Our pumpkins photo quality is already as good as the Mavic Air and every other DJI consumer product sans the P4P. Autel had better come out with the EVO soon, hats off to DJI for teaching every other drone manufacturer how to roll out a new drone...promises AND execution in the same announcement.
There is no Autel that compares to it. The Air was not designed to compete with the XSP or the EVO, so comparing it in high winds or things like mapping built in is not a good comparison. And someone made a comment on the fit was better (on the EVO)... how could any of us know? Unless you are a lucky online personality you have not seen the Air in person and only employees and CES attendees have seen EVO prototypes. Almost all of the prosumer drones today use the same camera sensor size except the Phantom 4 Pro which has a 1" sensor. The Mavic Pro II is on the horizon and you can bet it will have a 1" sensor so the EVO won't have that edge. DJI also has a very robust SDK that has produced lots of amazing apps including many mapping apps. There will always be competition in the marketplace, the creative, well-operated companies will succeed. Autel has held on pretty well, but it has relied on the XSP for its success and that flight has departed. Now I am not saying DJI is perfect, they are far, far from it, but they sure know how to make great UAV's.

Last edited:
Well after reading, listening and watching, I too must say that the AIR seems to be the way to go, now have to convince the wife I need another drone as if I don’t have enough drones and heli’s.... but hey what’s one more or two

Wow...DJI understands marketing, and has the resources to back it up...

I don’t like the Air’s smartphone-only display, it’s too small. I used an iPad Mini on the XSP for a month, then replaced it with an iPad Air 2 for size and brightness. I make fine exposure changes constantly, and I’m always looking at the screen for composition and such. Small screens are more portable, but harder to work with IMHO...

Last edited:
Within seconds if not already a tablet adapter will be released. I already have one for my Mavic. For those complaining about DJI Go. Have you ever used it? Or Litchi? I'm not brand loyal and have owned all of the three majors... still waiting for the camera upgrade Autel. I have my opinions about the strengths and weaknesses of all of them but DJI Go has not been one of the weaknesses. I actually prefer it. I'm curious why someone thinks it is a weakness in comparison with other flight control apps.

I agree, I am not brand loyal either. I will be buying the one that I get the most bang for my buck. Being retired and living on a fixed income I try to get the most for my money.
A lot of the promised stuff like mapping on the EVO will depend on the SDK and developers wanting to get involved. The promised SDK for the X-Star none of the big developers were interested saying AUtel was to small to care about. You might end up with a pocket full of promises with the EVO. Hope not but history has a way of repeating itself.

Reactions: yrless and LuvMyTJ
I agree, I am not brand loyal either. I will be buying the one that I get the most bang for my buck. Being retired and living on a fixed income I try to get the most for my money.
A lot of the promised stuff like mapping on the EVO will depend on the SDK and developers wanting to get involved. The promised SDK for the X-Star none of the big developers were interested saying AUtel was to small to care about. You might end up with a pocket full of promises with the EVO. Hope not but history has a way of repeating itself.

I have one Autel product. I bought because I believed they would deliver on the modular design. I'm holding on to it but not optimistic about getting what they promised.

From a consumer’s marketing perspective I’d rather see one great platform released than a dozen where each has a minor level of performance improvements. Systematically releasing numerous products over a short timeline, each with generally over lapping features but none of them providing even a single substantial level of performance improvement, are little more than a means to induce those with inability to rationalize into buying new product every three to 6 months. The practice has been common to the RC hobby industry for close to 20 years, and people still fall for it.

Personally, I’ll readily accept a single new, but great platform over a plethora of lessor products. I’d even prefer to buy an older product that provided periodic upgrades if it delivered what I initially needed.

The problem with the 1” sensor version is it’s currently vapour ware, it’s a comment at a trade show of an intention, it’s grabbed a lot of headlines and got them a lot of press but the reality is it’s just a intention.

What’s been made is the 1/2.3 model and until the 1” has been seen in the flesh and ready for release it can’t be really taken seriously, they had the intention of bringing SDK to the Xstar and difficulty’s stopped that and a 1” version could suffer the same fate.

It’s a clever marketing move, it’s got them a lot of press but until it’s built it should be taken with a pinch, this I would say the same for any company saying they are going to do something, it takes nothing from the current model but future ifs buts and maybes don’t mean jack, I think the Evo will do fine and it’s clear the market has now shifted to smaller portable craft, it is fantastic for consumers as people have never had so much choice.

I do think we will see a 1” smaller models at some point but it’s a good 4-7 months away at least if not longer, sensor alone is not all that is needed and their is plenty of other areas that could be improved yet.

As they are using the H2 sensor it will be interesting to see how the footage is as it should be very good indeed and that’s an area they did well on with the Xstar.

Reactions: LuvMyTJ
the P4P is shipping w a 1" sensor and that costs $1500 USD...why cant Autel bring it to market in the EVO even if at $1500 as well? Thats one thing that can set it apart from the entire Mavic lineup. It would be a folding P4 killer, and orange of course...
And yea, I dislike the Go4 app...had to upgrade it today..500mb, for the new Mavic Air components and Spark fixes..which I dont fly...

Reactions: Clint H
the P4P is shipping w a 1" sensor and that costs $1500 USD...why cant Autel bring it to market in the EVO even if at $1500 as well? Thats one thing that can set it apart from the entire Mavic lineup. It would be a folding P4 killer, and orange of course...
And yea, I dislike the Go4 app...had to upgrade it today..500mb, for the new Mavic Air components and Spark fixes..which I dont fly...

LOL
At least DJI is updating, what has Autel done for you lately :)

There may not be enough space for 1-inch sensor and associated optics to physically fit in an EVO.

The Go app has it's pro's & cons. And the constant updates can be tedious at times, seems everytime I fart they update the app! The Starlink app is pretty decent but could be better. I really was hoping Autel would be the company that broke through DJI's armor to give them some real competition. The problem is, by the time Autel brings the EVO with a 1" sensor to market (if at all), DJI will strategically release the Mavic Pro 3 and crush Autel's dreams like they did to Gopro. Gopro released the Karma and people were excited! Then within days, DJI stepped up and released the Mavic Pro and it swept the market. Meanwhile, Karma is already buried in the DJI graveyard.

Oh look, here comes DJI now rolling over the competition...

TANK%20GIF.ashx

Reactions: Jagerbomb52

500 mb takes me about 2 minutes to download if that. I much prefer the feature rich DJI GO app over any other apps save Litchi. Even then I prefer go unless I'm flying automated flights. The only issue I had with Go was that it is CPU intensive iPad mini 2 has problems with it. Otherwise the app is awesome in comparison with the stripped down competitors. But that's just my take I appreciate your feedback to my question.

Im only on Go4, so the GO app for P3's Im not familiar with. If my Go4 app isnt updated, the mapping apps dependent on my Go4 login wont load, and I am screwed in the field having to update an update so I can load the app. Heaven forbid if there is a firmware or OS update as well, then everything in the chain is broken, DroneDeploy/PrecisionMapper/Skydrone, DJI GO4, etc.... There have been more than a few times this summer where I had to ditch the P4P for firmware or app updates in remote areas and fly a mission with my XSP under good old Starlink manually taking timed pictures along waypoint routes. I keep the tablet and XSP isolated from the internet. Its my backup and I cannot afford the backup to be down... ever...If Im on site w a client and I cant get in the air, Ive not only lost that job, I likely lost that client. The XSP has saved my skin a few times and has never failed...Im thankful for that.

I have had processor issues on an older IPAD PRO and the DJI Ground Station Pro software...which I really like.
we are looking at a new mini, but it will be a 3 or 4 gen. We will be testing in another week or so if the weather stays in the 40s here in michigan.

What gets me is the Go4 app updates EVERYTHING in the lineup, Mavic, Spark, Phantom4...I only have the P4P, so why do I need all that extra bloatware concerning gesture control? call me old fashioned, but if I sneeze on site while a drone is in the air near me..I dont want it to start some fancy 360 panoramic photo/video montage maneuver based on me reaching for my hanky...(thats a joke to all you millennials).

...Autel may say the XSP is over, but what comes after the EVO?
With DJI discontinuing the P3 and P4, and the P5 around $2000 (est)...I hope they bring back the XSP as the XSP Pro 2 in 2019. Not everyone wants a folded up oragami UAS the size of a pizza slice on their worksite.

Im only on Go4, so the GO app for P3's Im not familiar with. If my Go4 app isnt updated, the mapping apps dependent on my Go4 login wont load, and I am screwed in the field having to update an update so I can load the app. Heaven forbid if there is a firmware or OS update as well, then everything in the chain is broken, DroneDeploy/PrecisionMapper/Skydrone, DJI GO4, etc.... There have been more than a few times this summer where I had to ditch the P4P for firmware or app updates in remote areas and fly a mission with my XSP under good old Starlink manually taking timed pictures along waypoint routes. I keep the tablet and XSP isolated from the internet. Its my backup and I cannot afford the backup to be down... ever...If Im on site w a client and I cant get in the air, Ive not only lost that job, I likely lost that client. The XSP has saved my skin a few times and has never failed...Im thankful for that.

I have had processor issues on an older IPAD PRO and the DJI Ground Station Pro software...which I really like.
we are looking at a new mini, but it will be a 3 or 4 gen. We will be testing in another week or so if the weather stays in the 40s here in michigan.

What gets me is the Go4 app updates EVERYTHING in the lineup, Mavic, Spark, Phantom4...I only have the P4P, so why do I need all that extra bloatware concerning gesture control? call me old fashioned, but if I sneeze on site while a drone is in the air near me..I dont want it to start some fancy 360 panoramic photo/video montage maneuver based on me reaching for my hanky...(thats a joke to all you millennials).

...Autel may say the XSP is over, but what comes after the EVO?
With DJI discontinuing the P3 and P4, and the P5 around $2000 (est)...I hope they bring back the XSP as the XSP Pro 2 in 2019. Not everyone wants a folded up oragami UAS the size of a pizza slice on their worksite.
Since the Mavic Pro is their best selling drone there are some folks who do like it. If you need a UAV for work DJI makes a dedicated line for work purposes (Inspire, Matrice, MG-1) as does Yuneec (H520 and it's orange!).

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GISJenn