Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Flotation device

Bought two cheap arrows at Wal-Mart, bottle ends hot glued together. Is cris- crossing them going to work, or will it be out of wack because one is higher than the other?

20170823_165643.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: KentA
I wouldn't cross them OBD, that would put the cross right under the Starpoint module and might throw things off. I haven't seen posts from the pool noodle experiment come back yet as to if taking them off fixed his takeoff issue where the XSP just kept going up like it thought it hadn't gotten any higher.

Dry run test flight a little wobbley, but not affecting starpoint module. The bottles may be more aerodynamic, who knows. May do more tweaking, more bracing, or come up with something altogether different.

Floatation 2.wmv

Nice OBD...those look like they would work well...not sure about waves though...might test waves with some 2x4 made to look like the XSP and get the weight close.

I would only use it on a lake or pond, no waves, I'm not that brave.

I think something 3D printed, like what I have drawn with the orange lines, that could snap on and off, might be good.

Snap-on.jpg

Last edited:
:)
:)IMG_5859.JPG
But, I'm still working! Full time. How's your flotation coming along?

Still R&D but atleast the frame is done. Now to decide on the floats. WM sells Big styrofoam balls that would raise the entire airframe. But I fear it might cause a heart attack or stroke if seen by an unhealthy person

:)
:)View attachment 1049

Still R&D but atleast the frame is done. Now to decide on the floats. WM sells Big styrofoam balls that would raise the entire airframe. But I fear it might cause a heart attack or stroke if seen by an unhealthy person
Have you flown it with the arrows on there? I tried the criss-cross arrows, but the starpoint module was reacting to them.

Have you flown it with the arrows on there? I tried the criss-cross arrows, but the starpoint module was reacting to them.
I flew it few nights back and with the bike lights flashing......
that thing looked like the spaceship on "Close Encounters" leaving earth.
Flew fine but at night beside a 4 lane highway ...not smart

Added a couple of braces, gave it the float test in a puddle after all the rain we've had, and it floats! now, I need to take it to a small lake nearby and give it the full test.
20170830_162758.jpg

Well, I think after flipping my drone upside down in a puddle of water while trying to take off and land, my flotation experiment is done. I took the top off, washed it out with alcohol and let dry all day, just turned it on, and it came on normally, PTL!

Last edited:
Well, I think after flipping my drone upside down in a puddle of water while trying to take off and land, my flotation experiment is done. I took the top off, washed it out with alcohol and let dry all day, just turned it on, and it came on normally, PTL!
That rig looked pretty stable. How did it flip?

The foam noodles floated good but were rather unstable flying, so I tried using the bottles instead. A gust of wind may have caused it, but not sure. I'm just glad my drone is still working OK, don't know if I'm gonna try the floatation stuff anymore.

I'm considering floats because the neighborhood is mostly forest. We have no fields. About the only open areas are the lakes.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmanvm