Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Flotation device

We're you wanting to buy some, or make your own?

I've been thinking of attaching pool noodles with the ends cut & glued into an hourglass shape to offer a larger footprint & avoid the camera.

Then there is the bright idea of getting a sheet of styrofoam & cutting it to a ) ( shape. I'd probably attach rigid plastic underneath or sandwich the styrofoam to add strength.

I've even considered the Waterstrider if my planned experiments don't work out. They are expensive, but I already have a lot invested in this bird.

Aside from water landings, they may be useful on snow. There is often a lot of that around here.

Last edited:
There's quite a few ideas on YouTube. I was all fired up about the idea until I flipped it, now I'm kinda gun shy of it.

Doing an ebay search for dji accessories gives me crazy ideas.

There's quite a few ideas on YouTube. I was all fired up about the idea until I flipped it, now I'm kinda gun shy of it.
You came out of that flip smelling sweet. Now I would appreciate it if you would perfect a floatation system & share it so I don't dunk my drone.
Laughter aside, a lot of the most successful ideas on YouTube involve using strings to bend & position the noodles, but I don't think an Autel XSP should be used to pull lilypads.

The foam noodles floated good but were rather unstable flying, so I tried using the bottles instead. A gust of wind may have caused it, but not sure. I'm just glad my drone is still working OK, don't know if I'm gonna try the floatation stuff anymore.

Glad it lived to fly another day........
Tomorrow kickoffs are really close....
RTR

Ouch...that had to be painful for him, I cringed watching just a video of it. I'm going to stay way above water.

Bama, during the 1st half...... I gobbled up almost all of my nitro pills :)
Two very cloned teams. They Both started off with the best opponent around. Might see a replay of that game in Jan. for the NC game. Hope FSU QB isn't too badly hurt
RTR

It sure looks like it would would work on the XSP. The landing gears are almost the same.
I asked the folks that make the Waterstrider about adopting one to the Autel & here's their answer:

The big issues is getting the landing gear space width right. The P2 assembly is the closest to the X-SP. It’s been reported by others that it’s close-enough.

Or, if you’re a DIY-er, we can send you an un-bonded mount fitting assembly and you can use some cyanoacrylate glue to get the perfect spacing (and a hack saw to gut the cross tube to length). Honestly, it’s not that hard, but due to the nature of CA glue you only get one chance to get it right. If you’re interested in that approach, let me know and I’ll make sure the unit we ship you has the unbonded assembly and write us some directions for you.

Cheers,

David Moser
Co-founder
DroneRafts LLC

Yeah it didn't look good for their QB. I hope we don't have a game where we need a field goal to win.
In the Saban era...... never really had a trophyClass FGkicker
I would think a fast takeoff would be best.

absolutely...... that slow takeoff allowed one of the floats to stick and in flipped. I would launch that sucker W A O pen :)

Bama, during the 1st half...... I gobbled up almost all of my nitro pills :)
Two very cloned teams. They Both started off with the best opponent around. Might see a replay of that game in Jan. for the NC game. Hope FSU QB isn't too badly hurt
RTR
QB done for the season.:(

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmanvm