Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Leary of Autel purchase

Xdfireguy

Reaction score
First off, I want to thank you all for having me here. I have spent many hours as a guest, and now member, pouring over your posts learning as much as I can. I have been eyeing up getting into flying for recreational purposes (to start) for almost a year now. All my research says Autel is a fantastic machine at a great price. Sure, there are issues. But every manufacturer has them. I’m looking for some frank feedback.

My concerns are that there hasn’t really been a presence from Autel in the industry since CES (?). Their website hasn’t had an update in a year with the exception of the contest that is still up but expired several weeks ago. The only units they are selling are “refurbished” (are they just clearing out all inventory and calling it refurbished?). With the staffing cuts and litigation in its second year +\-, accessory manufacturers cutting Autel from their lines, and all the above, would my investment into the XSP be supported much longer? It isn’t just the physical drone that makes a great product, but the people behind it. Autel has a history of great customer service. (I have actually emailed them about this, and their response seemed rather evasive to me which doesn’t sit well).

I have no love for DJI, and REALLY want to join you all in celebrating the modular platform of the XSP. I’m just a little leary of jumping in and being left with an unsupported machine. I know I am speaking to a biased crowd, but without sugar coating it, what are your thoughts/predictions?

My thought is that they do have a new product close to reveal and release. Its simple if you have nothing new too sell you go away. I think it has got to the point of put out something new now or fold. A new camera is not going to be the item to do. I think it has to be at the upcoming CES and it has to be available at that time not x months away.

I’m just really surprised they’re not out there pushing what they do have. Not so much as a blog post since Dec/2016. Even their instructions for updating firmware say that if you purchased your unit after October of last year you have the current 1.x.x firmware loaded. Is it just the IT/marketing side that has fallen short?

I for one hope they have a giant killer ready for release. All I want is the fold up legs 1 inch camera and 360 degree rotation and I will be there with money in my hand. In the mean time even if they don't I love this drone just like she is and will be happy with what I have. I went out yesterday and shot 3 vids and could not be happier!!

I have heard from multiple different sources that Autel is releasing something big around January. I would maybe wait a month or two and see if something comes around.

It seems to be fight or flight time for Autel in a period of market dominance by DJI, but DJI’s belligerent customer service & dictatorial firmware policies have made their large share of the market vulnerable.

Last edited:
I have been following your videos and have been really impressed. You are really getting very smooth with the sticks! I’ll be lucky if my learning curve is as easy as yours. Oh and thanks for shooting the desert. I really do miss the southwest :( Thanks for the feedback!

I for one hope they have a giant killer ready for release. All I want is the fold up legs 1 inch camera and 360 degree rotation and I will be there with money in my hand. In the mean time even if they don't I love this drone just like she is and will be happy with what I have. I went out yesterday and shot 3 vids and could not be happier!!

I appreciate each of the encouraging words. The price on the refurbished units is outstanding, so it would be a shame to let it pass by. However, if January does have surprises in store, I would certainly pay more for the upgrades they teased earlier this year. Zero marketing in this day and age is surprising. Especially when it is so easy with all the social media available. I know the blog posts take some time and effort to put together, but Autel: give us something to know you’re still kicking. Please.

many folks fly both orange and white. I couch it like this, you will like the autel xsp very much, but you would love the phantom 4 pro. I fly both for my government environmental work. If Im mapping something, I use the P4P, only because there is no mapping software for Autel. Recreationally like for panoramas and video shots, I use the Pumpkin. If its your first real dual gps drone, go autel. If you want to use it as a business, consider the P4P at 3x the refurb price. Note, I just flew my new Hubsan 501A gps waypoint $200 1080p brushless drone....so far preety neat, its spark size for half the cost.

Oh ya right that was before they got rid of all the sales people and reduced the staff. And the boss went on his little vacation and never came back LOL

quantum systems actually was the developer of the Kestrel, and they did come out with their model, the Tron, (~$25K) and their mini vtol the Trinity (~$10K)....It seems to me Autel was piggybacking on both those models, perhaps as a North American distributor, but Quantum told me they are not working with Autel and there is no longer any collaboration...QS facebook, twitter, and youtube links are good and recent, but I cant get their web link to work anymore...their nose-cone payload bay specs were on the web for developers to build to, cool.

Quantum-Systems releases the Trinity UAV - sUAS News - The Business of Drones

Quantum-Systems (@quantumdrones) | Twitter
Security Check Required

Just came from the Atel website and it looks like the refurbished units are all gone. The only thing left is the rugged bundles.

many folks fly both orange and white. I couch it like this, you will like the autel xsp very much, but you would love the phantom 4 pro. I fly both for my government environmental work. If Im mapping something, I use the P4P, only because there is no mapping software for Autel. Recreationally like for panoramas and video shots, I use the Pumpkin. If its your first real dual gps drone, go autel. If you want to use it as a business, consider the P4P at 3x the refurb price. Note, I just flew my new Hubsan 501A gps waypoint $200 1080p brushless drone....so far preety neat, its spark size for half the cost.
This is what I fly when it's raining or to cold to go outside.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    522.2 KB · Views: 24
Reactions: KentA
Reading these posts makes me start thinking Autel, as far as drones go, is on their way out. I use their diagnostic equipment and it’s first rate. I have two XSP’s. One is still new in the case, If they go out parts will become impossible to get, glad I have two. Sad to see.

For me I'm tired of waiting. I agree with what you guys say here. I think autel is going under. I don't see a company not having any marketing material, facebook or Instagram and surviving during the busiest time of the year. It doesn't matter if they will have something new at CeS , a company has to have its customer wanting more and entertained in order to survive. Look at amazon, they couldn't be any richer and they still market on tv and YouTube, radio etc. There is something wrong with autel, and I'm not to buying one of their products to then have the company crumble down in front of me in 2018

If they could resolve the battery crash issue, the machine itself is ideal. I have my fingers crossed that they’ll come back with a vengeance. I really want them to succeed! I so want to jump in right now. But I think I’ll also hold off a bit to see how things play out in the first quarter of the new year.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
supa_jb