Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Range of flight - opened a ticket

I agree there are a lot of variables.

I've never saw a flight where I thought my XSP would go 2 or 3 miles without disconnect.

How does DJI do that?

Good friend of mine has flown his DJI Mavic 4 miles many times. I would never have a need for that distance. But I'd like to be consistent less than a mile. When I get close to that mile mark I start worrying. Rarely will my XSP go a mile without disconnects of some kind. I totally 100% fly rural.

DJI uses a different technology called OcuSync which has greater distance capability and low latency transmission, which from other postings was developed more for drone racing as it supports multiple output feeds (like goggles and a display). It has the ability to compensate for interference by hopping around to different channels based on interference. Lightbridge 2 is the next generation which allows for more full time HD video transmission from the drone to the viewer (goggles or other device). With 1" sensors coming out on a lot of platforms why not be able to see what the drone is seeing in much better quality LIVE, vs only when it returns and you download.

Not sure anyone REALLY needs 4 miles of flight distance, nor could they talk their way out of "your drone is not within line of sight" unless they had a really good spotting scope setup right next to them with a spotter...lol

Thanks for the info.

Seems more XSP flyers are considering more anti-interference methods. All this is above my pay grade. But I anxiously await someone proving they did a modification that worked!!!

Thanks for all the great info and testing guys. I am going to go to a large clearing this weekend and try a long distance flight again and see what I get. I also ordered some 4.5mil EMI/ESD material that I am going to cover the back of my galaxy tab with just to isolate the tablet from the antennas as best as possible and see if that has any positive impact.

Curious to hear the results of the isolation blanket.

Two new 12 inch cables and EMI/EMP/ESD material ordered...hopefully next week can do some controlled tests from the back yard...will report my findings. AR hasn't responded to my ticket yet...i am going to wait till they respond or after testing before I call.

I flew .85 of a mile yesterday and over a hill so no LOS and had signal the whole time. Flew the battery to low discharge and it started initiating RTH.

I frequently cannot see my Drone because of terrain obstacles. I need good signal and range.

I'm thinking about a better cable but waiting on ronwhet to report his results with his new cable.

Not being a butt here, but, I'd like to here a report of several flights at extended range with no problems. Not a one time good flight result. I have faith that ronwhet will give us that report when has time to fly multiple times. :)
Hello, first time post here. Good information in this thread and getting ready to order a short "insulated" cable.
I've had the xstar for about 2 weeks and have had good luck so far. Ordered a reconditioned copy after talking to Seattle on the phone. Feels pretty close living in Alaska so not having a clue what I'm doing I liked the idea that I can call and talk to a real human.
Ok, I've bin pushing it a bit, but today I went out over the water from a high bluff and got 2 miles. Saw a boat that I knew so I couldn't help but give it a try. Had quick short lived infrequent disconnects but didn't interrupt the trip. hovered over the boat for a minute but didn't have the confidence to get close.
Ideal spot for clear connection without interference but not ideal if a problem occurs, must be addicted to "the rush".
Getting ready to make a long boat trip ( all the way to Prudoe Bay and back) and want to be ready get some great whale filming if the occasion should show up. Will be flying off a steal vessel so probably lots of interference. Hope I don't loose this bird.

Attachments

• IMG_4839.PNG
    IMG_4839.PNG
    5.1 MB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Here is a picture of the boat just for fun. Took a picture of the video so it's nothing great , was to stressed to remember to snap a photo. Ordered the copper range boosters, will test.
Probably won't to beable to dial in the compass off the boat so will have to fly in ATTI mode at least for takeoff and then maybe turn on gps mode. Not sure how that will work , maybe experiment in Harbor. Also might be traveling about 9 knots at times.

Attachments

• IMG_4840.PNG
    IMG_4840.PNG
    2.2 MB · Views: 19
Reactions: 4everaerial
I agree there are a lot of variables.

I've never saw a flight where I thought my XSP would go 2 or 3 miles without disconnect.

How does DJI do that?

Good friend of mine has flown his DJI Mavic 4 miles many times. I would never have a need for that distance. But I'd like to be consistent less than a mile. When I get close to that mile mark I start worrying. Rarely will my XSP go a mile without disconnects of some kind. I totally 100% fly rural.
Your friend must have the eyesight of an eagle to see something that far away!

I've got 119 flights with my xsp and never made it past a mile. I live in an area full of trees and houses and even when I travel or go camping in clear empty areas I can't get past 0.90 . I'm thinking that's just the way it is. I've never modified my antennas or anything. What I do is cancel the rth and try to push further. My bird always comes home. I've had it land on the sun roof of my car in follow cause she knew she couldn't make it back to the home point. I have no complaints. Sevs a great bird no matter how far she can fly.

Intrepid we would be much interested in the outcome of the 3M 4.5 mil material.

My one flight over a mile. No error messages at all.

Attachments

• 63C2B631-62D5-41DF-A6FE-1DCB04AB320A.jpeg
    63C2B631-62D5-41DF-A6FE-1DCB04AB320A.jpeg
    937.2 KB · Views: 16
"Visual Line of Sight" by the pilot in charge.

Yeah, that's what I thought. What an open door that is.

So if I have no obstacles between me and the drone, and I have a really good set of binoculars, I can fly as far away as the drone will go?

Nice!!!!

Mt Baldy rings a bell. Somewhere in the Rockies?

It’s in the San Gabriel range just northeast of Los Angeles. The peak of the mountain is just over 10,000 feet. Where I fly it’s about 4500 feet altititude.

It’s in the San Gabriel range just northeast of Los Angeles. The peak of the mountain is just over 10,000 feet. Where I fly it’s about 4500 feet altititude.

Out of my range. I frequent the Rockies in Colorado and Wyoming. Thanks for the reply!!!!

Reactions: Bigbit
Visual line of sight for Part 107 pilots is unaided, such as without binoculars. When my orange pumpkin gets about 700 to 1000 feet away that is usually where it starts getting very difficult to keep it in sight.

That brings up an interesting point...I read an article about a long range (something over 30 miles using cellular communications to maintain flight control) drone test flight where they got approval from the FAA to do because they had visual observers along the route to maintain visual line of sight and stay within the regulations. So does that mean you can't use a spotter? What if the spotter also had control of the drone, i.e. using a second controller and instructor mode like I do with my daughter and they can glass the drone while you fly. It also makes me ask, does unaided mean without something like the strobe lights either at night or daytime to maintain good visual recognition of the craft in flight.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lmccaskill