Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Range of flight - opened a ticket

A spotter must be in earshot of the pilot in charge. There can only be one pilot in charge. These companies that have tested this technology and got approval from the FAA have major resources to file the correct paperwork and unlimited money to do so.

Connectors and material shipped on 8/18...hopefully shows up Monday/Tuesday! Saw other posts regarding the Anker cables, looked them up and don't really see why they would be so much better than a good shielded cable...their claim to fame is their flexibility not so much their shielding. I should be able to crudely wrap the cable in the material to rule anything out with interference to the antennas signal.

Reactions: Jagerbomb52
What gets me are these Parrot Disco FPV planes. There is a group of flyers over in Hawaiian Islands that fly these things 35 miles out over the Islands and back. From what I been told they plot a course with mission planner and just let it of off doing its thing while recording video. Sounds crazy to me.

That brings up an interesting point...I read an article about a long range (something over 30 miles using cellular communications to maintain flight control) drone test flight where they got approval from the FAA to do because they had visual observers along the route to maintain visual line of sight and stay within the regulations. So does that mean you can't use a spotter? What if the spotter also had control of the drone, i.e. using a second controller and instructor mode like I do with my daughter and they can glass the drone while you fly. It also makes me ask, does unaided mean without something like the strobe lights either at night or daytime to maintain good visual recognition of the craft in flight.
Beyond the VLOS requires a waiver from the FAA, and as in the example given, spotters and observers must be used to keep VLOS along the route to give information to the PIC in that case. You may use as many spotters as you want and they are always recommended by the FAA in order to give the PIC extra eyes on the sky, mostly to scan the sky and check for manned aircraft. The PIC may have someone else fly and control the drone as long as the PIC is nearby to keep in responsible control of the flight and take over if necessary. Unaided means anything other than what the PIC normally sees with, for example a pair of prescription glasses, contacts, sunglasses etc. one always wears. A spotter could use binoculars to help search the sky for the PIC if one wants, or the drone could be flown with flight goggles if there is another person maintaining VLOS. Anything that makes the aircraft more visible, such as a powerful strobe light made for night flight would be a good idea for distant flights. Unaided refers to the PIC's vision, not the physical visibility of the aircraft itself, so bright lights, the orange color of the drone, a kite-tail, etc., are all ways a drone can be more easily visible.

This all refers to someone with a Part 107 and not a hobbyist flyer am I correct? And this type of waiver would be one of the harder ones to get is this correct?

I just recieved my XSP and out of the box, on the 3 flight, I was able to reach just over 1 mile without any video interference using the newest model IPad we got 2 months ago. I couldn't see the drone at all and may try to push the limits and she how far, at this location, she will go but at a mile out I got a little nervous being only the 3 flight. Very happy with the results so far.

Reactions: Bigbit
This all refers to someone with a Part 107 and not a hobbyist flyer am I correct? And this type of waiver would be one of the harder ones to get is this correct?

The distinction between Part 107 and hobbyist seems to all come down to registering.

From the FAA's website:

"There are two ways for recreational or hobby UAS fliers to operate in the National Airspace System in accordance with the law and/or FAA regulations. Each of the two options has specific requirements that the UAS operator must follow. The decision as to which option to follow is up to the individual operator.

Option #1. Fly in accordance with the Special Rule for Model Aircraft (Public Law 112-95 Section 336). Under this rule, operators must:

1. Fly for hobby or recreational purposes only
  2. Follow a community-based set of safety guidelines
  3. Fly the UAS within visual line-of-sight
  4. Give way to manned aircraft
  5. Provide prior notification to the airport and air traffic control tower, if one is present, when flying within 5 miles of an airport
  6. Fly UAS that weigh no more than 55 lbs. unless certified by a community-based organization
Option #2. Fly under the FAA's Small UAS Rule (14 CFR part 107). Under this rule, operators must:

1. Register their UAS with the FAA as a "non-modeler"
  2. Obtain an FAA Remote Pilot Certificate
  3. Follow the operational requirements (PDF) of Part 107"

The FAA states that a model aircraft flyer does not need to register the aircraft up to 55 pounds if one is going to fly it within model aircraft rules:

Fly for Fun under the Special Rule for Model Aircraft

So as far as the hobbyist is concerned, since that person will never fly outside the boundaries of the rules then no registration is needed and no waivers/authorizations will ever need to be applied for, and drones are classified by the FAA as recreational or hobby aircraft in that case.

Once the aircraft is registered, it then falls into the "Part 107" category, which comes with the same set of rules. Those flying under the registered, or Part 107, agreed to a set of terms and rules required by the FAA during registration, certified or not. The only distinction between them is that certified pilots can be compensated in any form while non certified pilots cannot. Compensation could be any form of payment, from a candy bar to a million dollars to getting income from a video on Youtube.

Common sense comparisons between FAA flight rules:

Would any of us X-Star pilots, certified or not, fly our pumpkin over a college or NFL stadium packed with people during the middle of a football game just for fun without a waiver? Of course not. We all know how stupid that would be because we would never get away with it. That would mean instant DHS, SWAT teams, FBI, national news coverage, arrest, scandal and embarrassment, because there are so many people who would witness the event. Flying over groups of people is one of the FAA no-nos we all agreed to during registration along with the no-nos flying beyond VLOS, or over 400 feet AGL, or at night, or above a ceiling of cloud cover, etc., yet I think we have all seen examples of flyers proudly displaying results of flying one of the latter examples, maybe even going viral and getting tons of hits on Youtube leading to even compensation. It must be something like when we drive our cars. Out in the middle of nowhere we might be able to get away with driving 50 miles per hour over the speed limit, but in busy traffic that would be highly risky. Like the FAA though, there could be a trooper out there in the middle of nowhere hiding behind a bush just waiting, or an FAA investigator sifting through the Youtube videos checking for waivers and certifications...

So in short, yes, anyone who has registered one's drone must still apply for a waiver/authorization. Hobbyists agree never to fly beyond the rules and don't even need to register. I just assume those who are talking about flying a mile or four miles have gotten their waivers. To do so without a waiver would mean the registered pilot lied about following the terms of the agreement.

Great write up @Delta Blue . I believe though that simply registering your drone with the FAA does not place the drone under 107 nor does it require you to do anything further and you can still act as a hobbyist. That was the whole intent of registration before it was kicked by the courts anyway. My drones are registered, and I know that you can request refund of the $5 registration fee, so in light of your write up I am going to request clarification from them. I merely call every tower or airfield manager and give them heads up or leave them a message if no one answers, a lot of public small airfields don't answer the phone.

Great write up @Delta Blue . I believe though that simply registering your drone with the FAA does not place the drone under 107 nor does it require you to do anything further and you can still act as a hobbyist. That was the whole intent of registration before it was kicked by the courts anyway. My drones are registered, and I know that you can request refund of the $5 registration fee, so in light of your write up I am going to request clarification from them. I merely call every tower or airfield manager and give them heads up or leave them a message if no one answers, a lot of public small airfields don't answer the phone.

"Registration costs $5 and is valid for 3 years. If you are flying under the Special Rule for Model Aircraft and you wish to register voluntarily, you should register as a "modeler." If you are flying under part 107, Section 333, part 91, a public COA, or for non-recreational purposes in general, you should register as a "non-modeler.""

So you can still have a registered drone with the FAA and have nothing binding you to anything 107, such as waivers, as long as you registered as a modeler.

Got my reply from Autel on distance and it was as I kind of expected:

"Radio frequencies are quite tricky. The short answer is yes, you could definitely be receiving interference if you are flying in an area with houses around you. Even in very rural areas you could get interference from other signals, towers, power lines or amateur radio operators. I would recommend trying a new location that is a fair distance away from where you are currently flying. If you get any kind of different results then you know it is your environment. Antenna issues usually drop out in the 1000 to 1500ft range or sometimes much shorter. Also make sure your antenna positioning is correct and you are facing the drone."

All common items, guess I will test in another area before I make any mods with cables and EMI materials and see if it's any better...will report back.

"Registration costs $5 and is valid for 3 years. If you are flying under the Special Rule for Model Aircraft and you wish to register voluntarily, you should register as a "modeler." If you are flying under part 107, Section 333, part 91, a public COA, or for non-recreational purposes in general, you should register as a "non-modeler.""

So you can still have a registered drone with the FAA and have nothing binding you to anything 107, such as waivers, as long as you registered as a modeler.

A modeler still has to observe the same restrictions as the Part 107 according to the FAA, from "Flying For Fun" page:

"Fly for Fun under the Special Rule for Model Aircraft
You don't need permission from the FAA to fly your UAS under the Special Rule for Model Aircraft, but you must always fly safely. You may elect to register your UAS to help in the recovery of lost equipment.

FAA Safety Guidelines
  • Fly at or below 400 feet
  • Be aware of airspace requirements and restrictions
  • Stay away from surrounding obstacles
  • Keep your UAS within sight
  • Never fly near other aircraft, especially near airports
  • Never fly over groups of people
  • Never fly over stadiums or sports events
  • Never fly near emergency response efforts such as fires
  • Never fly under the influence of drugs or alcohol

Note: Model aircraft operators that comply with all of these operational requirements during flight do not have to register their UAS with the FAA.

Model aircraft operators must follow these rules to fly under this Rule:

• the aircraft is flown strictly for hobby or recreational use
  • the aircraft is operated in accordance with a community-based set of safety guidelines and within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization
  • the aircraft is limited to not more than 55 pounds unless otherwise certified through a design, construction, inspection, flight test, and operational safety program administered by a community-based organization
  • the aircraft is operated in a manner that does not interfere with and gives way to any manned aircraft
  • when flown within 5 miles of an airport, the operator of the aircraft provides the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport) with prior notice of the operation (model aircraft operators flying from a permanent location within 5 miles of an airport should establish a mutually-agreed upon operating procedure with the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower [when an air traffic facility is located at the airport])
A model aircraft is defined as an unmanned aircraft that:

• capable of sustained flight in the atmosphere
  • flown within visual line of sight of the person operating the aircraft
  • flown for hobby or recreational purposes."
So yes, it would be correct to say the modeler needs no waivers because he always flies within the FAA requirements. The FAA uses the word "always" in its sentence about its safety guidelines, that are same as Part 107's.

The distinction between Part 107 and hobbyist seems to all come down to registering.

From the FAA's website:

"There are two ways for recreational or hobby UAS fliers to operate in the National Airspace System in accordance with the law and/or FAA regulations. Each of the two options has specific requirements that the UAS operator must follow. The decision as to which option to follow is up to the individual operator.

Option #1. Fly in accordance with the Special Rule for Model Aircraft (Public Law 112-95 Section 336). Under this rule, operators must:

1. Fly for hobby or recreational purposes only
  2. Follow a community-based set of safety guidelines
  3. Fly the UAS within visual line-of-sight
  4. Give way to manned aircraft
  5. Provide prior notification to the airport and air traffic control tower, if one is present, when flying within 5 miles of an airport
  6. Fly UAS that weigh no more than 55 lbs. unless certified by a community-based organization
Option #2. Fly under the FAA's Small UAS Rule (14 CFR part 107). Under this rule, operators must:

1. Register their UAS with the FAA as a "non-modeler"
  2. Obtain an FAA Remote Pilot Certificate
  3. Follow the operational requirements (PDF) of Part 107"

The FAA states that a model aircraft flyer does not need to register the aircraft up to 55 pounds if one is going to fly it within model aircraft rules:

So as far as the hobbyist is concerned, since that person will never fly outside the boundaries of the rules then no registration is needed and no waivers/authorizations will ever need to be applied for, and drones are classified by the FAA as recreational or hobby aircraft in that case.

Once the aircraft is registered, it then falls into the "Part 107" category, which comes with the same set of rules. Those flying under the registered, or Part 107, agreed to a set of terms and rules required by the FAA during registration, certified or not. The only distinction between them is that certified pilots can be compensated in any form while non certified pilots cannot. Compensation could be any form of payment, from a candy bar to a million dollars to getting income from a video on Youtube.

Common sense comparisons between FAA flight rules:

Would any of us X-Star pilots, certified or not, fly our pumpkin over a college or NFL stadium packed with people during the middle of a football game just for fun without a waiver? Of course not. We all know how stupid that would be because we would never get away with it. That would mean instant DHS, SWAT teams, FBI, national news coverage, arrest, scandal and embarrassment, because there are so many people who would witness the event. Flying over groups of people is one of the FAA no-nos we all agreed to during registration along with the no-nos flying beyond VLOS, or over 400 feet AGL, or at night, or above a ceiling of cloud cover, etc., yet I think we have all seen examples of flyers proudly displaying results of flying one of the latter examples, maybe even going viral and getting tons of hits on Youtube leading to even compensation. It must be something like when we drive our cars. Out in the middle of nowhere we might be able to get away with driving 50 miles per hour over the speed limit, but in busy traffic that would be highly risky. Like the FAA though, there could be a trooper out there in the middle of nowhere hiding behind a bush just waiting, or an FAA investigator sifting through the Youtube videos checking for waivers and certifications...

So in short, yes, anyone who has registered one's drone must still apply for a waiver/authorization. Hobbyists agree never to fly beyond the rules and don't even need to register. I just assume those who are talking about flying a mile or four miles have gotten their waivers. To do so without a waiver would mean the registered pilot lied about following the terms of the agreement.
Sooooo, are you saying sitting one down on the Fifty during a college game would arouse somebody's attention. Try to imagine the announcers calling that one...... OMG

Reactions: Delta Blue
All my supplies arrived today, EMI material and cables...will spend this evening setting it all up and if done by dark will test fly from same spot in the back yard and see if I get any further distance wise. Will take some photos of everything and post here before and after. It's windy today so hope it dies down as dusk settles in.

Reactions: PRMath
So of course the wind didn't die down and it was getting late so I wanted to at least get a quick flight in with a fast install of just the EMI material. Here is the material and how I quick mounted it to the back of the tablet...I have a lot of material so I didn't mind scrapping a little in the name of testing.

material.jpg tablet.jpg

As you can see I just cut it to rough size and taped it on. This stuff is >35 db shielding when not flexed which is more than 1 watt of RF...way more than the tablet or the remote put out. With no other changes to cables or anything else I took her out for a spin...did two out and back (both returns were when RTH kicked in) flights in two different directions...I got a 37.9% increase in distance before the XSP said its time to come home...AND no loss of video signal at all even when it said it lost RC connection. 2112 ft was my distance before and now I got 2914!!! I call that a success story...albeit still only around 0.55 miles and you can see from my pic below that I am in a pretty well populated area.

View media item 30
Now I need to go to a more open environment like by one of the large canals down here and fly the length of the canal straight shot and see what I get. I can't fly over the everglades which would be the perfect scenario because it is not only littered with wildlife refuges where they frown on drones, but it is a hotbed for low flying airplanes.

On a not so great note...when the XSP was done taking the jogs I noticed that one of the motors was way hotter than the other three...so much more that it told my fingers to stop touching it. Anyone else seen this happen? I was set on 33MPH flight and there was some wind so maybe it was the full throttle flight out and dealing with some wind shifts? Any inputs on this are appreciated. I am going to wait till I do a flight on a calmer day to see if I get the same when I set the airspeed max to 22 mph vs 33 mph.

I bought some range extenders and a shorter shielded cable got out to about .4 miles around the house. What have you guys found is the best position for the antenna?

When flying for distance straight up perpendicular to the remote and antennas parallel to each other as is recommended by Autel in their antenna video tutorial on their site. If going for just elevation to take some images then straight out from the controller parallel to the ground.

I noticed that one of the motors was way hotter than the other three...so much more that it told my fingers to stop touching it. Anyone else seen this happen?

Don't worry. That motor was doing most of the work when in the air to keep everything balanced. You said it was windy, so...

I was able to loosley wrap the 1 foot cable in some of the EMI material. I don't like the cable though, the USB A side is too big and doesn't let the controller sit on the metal kickstand...but I wanted to test anyway as it is a calm day today. Broke 3000 ft going from same takeoff spot in the exact same direction with the shielded tablet and cable and never lost video signal. 3014 ft and RTH kicked in and she came home without a hitch.

Here's the wrapped cable (going to do a thinner strip and twist wrap the next one):
20170825_203422.jpg

I had kicked down to 22 mph max speed and figured out the hot motor from last time...thanks @Squirrel! for the insight. The motor that was hit last time was the rear left and certainly working much harder going forward at 33 mph and some wind (probably pushing the XSP against that motor). When I reached RTH this time and She started home I made sure she was flying backwards...all motors were the same temp on landing.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barry.bain